THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Aug 25, 2006, 1:23am   #1
jimmytrick
Professional

jimmytrick is just really nicejimmytrick is just really nicejimmytrick is just really nicejimmytrick is just really nice
Default Rarely discussed mega leak

Looking over my PT data for a small 5000 hand sample I discovered that I had almost 800 free hands, an incredible amount, that I did not play at all. This is the result of trying to squeeze sessions in between real life tasks.

I broke even over those hands, danged lucky. I missed over 50% of my UTG hands.

I had no idea this was happening with anything like this frequency until I reviewed the data.

Thanks Poker Tracker.
jimmytrick est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Aug 25, 2006, 1:31am   #2
Boilermaker
Get off my lawn

Boilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond repute

how do you find this in PT?
Boilermaker est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2006, 1:58am   #3
jimmytrick
Professional

jimmytrick is just really nicejimmytrick is just really nicejimmytrick is just really nicejimmytrick is just really nice

Just look at position tab. Check hands played in the big blind and total hands. Do a little math.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 6:02am   #4
TallJohn
Brunson

TallJohn

OK, I'll confess to being dense. What exactly are you talking about? Hands you posted the BB and closed the table without playing? How do you break even in that scenario? What does being UTG have to do with it? Sorry for what might be a "duh" question...thanks.
TallJohn est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2006, 6:32am   #5
jimmytrick
Professional

Okay. You are playing 3 tables and expecting a delivery (say you work at home as I do). The doorbell rings and you have to sit out a couple of hands on each table. If those hands are not in the blinds then the cards cost nothing. Free cards.

You can never get more than 9 hands per 1.5bb (or 6 shorthand), but you can get less.

So, if my true win rate is 4BB/100 and I miss 800 hands I toss 32BB out the window. Actually a little more because your true win rate counts the cost of the blinds. Or maybe not, since you tend to lose more hands in early position, but still, its a big leak.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 8:56am   #6
Ishbu3116
Pope of Online Poker

Ishbu3116 is on a distinguished road

It really to me is no different than playing for an extra hour. If I play 5 tables longhanded than I see abotu 400 hands an hour. If I make 1.75BB per hundred hands then I am missing out on 8.75 BB. So really I see where you are coming from but really if I play a 5 hour session instead of eight then I lose the money I would have earned from playing those extra three hours. Same thing like coming in an hour late to work. So it is not necessarily a mega leak it is just a period of time in which profiting is impossible.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 9:46am   #7
jimmytrick
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbu3116 View Post
It really to me is no different than playing for an extra hour. If I play 5 tables longhanded than I see abotu 400 hands an hour. If I make 1.75BB per hundred hands then I am missing out on 8.75 BB. So really I see where you are coming from but really if I play a 5 hour session instead of eight then I lose the money I would have earned from playing those extra three hours. Same thing like coming in an hour late to work. So it is not necessarily a mega leak it is just a period of time in which profiting is impossible.
I don't think you understand what I am saying. Let me try again.

I sit down at a longhand 5/10 table. I play the big blind, the small blind, and the next four hands. Then I am interrupted, have to get up, missing the next three hands for which I have already paid the blind cost.

Missing hands like that over the long term will cost a ton of money.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 12:30pm   #8
Grinder
Brunson

Grinder

I see what you are saying , you missed non-blind hands. Remember you include hands posting in.

Interesting. I don't think I have missed ANY hand in the way you are speaking but you are correct that it is a huge leak.

If you are making 0.10BB/100 MP2, each time you missed that hand you are losing 0.10BB/100.

The problem is taking out the posting in numbers.
Grinder est déconnecté   Reply With Quote