THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > Strategy > Beginners' Corner

View Poll Results: What was your biggest mistake starting out in real money?
Playing too many hands. 12 26.67%
Playing a limit too high for your bankroll. 19 42.22%
Playing too conservatively. 7 15.56%
Some other reason. (please explain in post). 7 15.56%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 28, 2006, 5:51am   #41
silu_nz
Doyle Look-alike

silu_nz

My biggest mistake was getting 'married' to a site. I have won on 3 sites (Party,Stars & Noble) but lost continously on Full Tilt. Full Tilt to me is like a windmill to Don Quixote or a red rag to the bull. I loose my calm, my cool, weak betting, calling overbets with Ahigh etc. And I still go back there!!!!!!

But the first real big mistake was to play $100NL full ring with $95 in my account. Granted I made $600 in a week but if I would have lost that one I might have never played Poker again. Now, that would have been a HUUUUUUGE mistake.
silu_nz est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Aug 28, 2006, 11:36am   #42
Got 6 Aces
Unprofessional

Got 6 Aces will become famous soon enoughGot 6 Aces will become famous soon enough

Acknowledging a certain poster on here
Old Aug 28, 2006, 1:49pm   #43
rcb17
Grinder

rcb17 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to rcb17 Send a message via Skype™ to rcb17

My inital problems revolved around playing too many hands. I started my online (hell my overall poker) experience at BoDog. I played the lowest microstakes tables they had, but got caught up in BoDog's wild play and lost quickly. That's when I found this site and started really learning. I also ditched BoDog and went to Stars. I found the play much more to my liking and started moving into the black.

I still have a lot of problems (weak betting postflop, misreading donks for strong aggressive players, seeing "ghosts" in a lot of hands where I end up laying down the best hand -- possibly my biggest hole right now), and as such my strategies trend towards basic TA play preflop to try limit the damage suckouts may cause by limiting the field early, and hide my weaknesses postflop as I gain experience. A lot of my losses come when I try and specualte with medium hands, hit a piece of the flop (often not the best piece) and either face a tough decision or lose outright in the end.

But I'm so much better than I was before, and I'm still in my first year of playing poker. I have no designs on having this be any kind of primary income, though I do want to play in a tournament or two sometime in the next 5 years if I feel I am good enough (preferably win my seat, feel like I'd have really earned it). And when I sit down at the $10NL and $25NL tables now, there's rarely a time when I do not feel like one of the top-half of players sitting at the table as the play goes on there. That's a good gauge of short-term progress in my eyes. If I can make the right decisions most of the time, I'll live with the varience inherint to the micro-limit tables and look forward to the days when my BR will dictate me trying to move up levels.

Michigan WHO? 34-32!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rBzoXqCEnA

Last edited by rcb17; Aug 28, 2006 at 1:54pm.
rcb17 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 3:56am   #44
tjankus
River Rat

tjankus is on a distinguished road

I've started real money play at micro levels and i already knew the basics of poker. The bigest mistake(s) was/were/(still is) - not trusting my reads. I would have loudly said "HE HAS FLUSH, I KNOW", then call the bet and lose to the flush.

Of course being too loose was a mistake, but that's common for beginners i think.
tjankus est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 11:28am   #45
KingTen
Grinder

KingTen

Definitely playing too many hands. Particularly the remember the old "it's sooted" line going off in my head once or twice.
KingTen est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 6:28pm   #46
Pappy
River Rat

Pappy

My big problem is i blow up. I play very conservitive to start then as the game progresses I lossen up, but im impatent. when I think people are takeing me as a consevitive or over scared player I like to bluff with even a 7-2. My problem is when I know im beat and it looks like there not buying my bluff but i cat get away and I'll blow most of my chips on one frustrated hand...