THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Nov 11, 2006, 2:20am   #1
chriscorn
Doyle Look-alike

chriscorn
Default Player Notes

I would really like to spend more time taking notes on players but am not always sure what to say about them and usually just end up putting DONK in someones note box when they get a lucky suckout on me...so just recently thought of copying and pasting key hands into their notes section from hands history....I think it's a pretty good idea...anyones thoughts on this?

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Nov 11, 2006, 3:17am   #2
Lord Mushroom
The Dark Knight

Lord Mushroom is on a distinguished road

I think an entire hand history is too long, notes should be quick to read. But you can give an extremely short resumé of a hand history like "check-raise bluffed when board paired" or something.
(00:42-03:27)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TibA0sQQZw8

The bot has spoken.
Lord Mushroom est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2006, 4:25am   #3
staphros
Wolf Game LVP

staphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant future

I play SNG mainly - but I use the following - I found it on another site and changed it slightly.

I think it can be too much information for some people but I like it - I put it next to most people I play and just fill it out as I go.

General(Tricky/Good/Ok/Poor)
Style(Tight/Semi-Tight/Loose)/(Maniac/Agg/Solid/Caller/Raiser/Passive)
Steal(POTSTL/NO PS) :: (BLUFFER!)
TELL(Tell descriptor) :: Slow Play(YES/NO)
Bets: (Draw / Top pair / TP weak kicker / Mid pair / Low pair / trips, etc)
Doesn't Bet: (Draw / Top pair / Mid pair / Weak kicker / Low pair, etc)
All In: (Cards)
PTRAISE: (Cards) NOPOTRAISE: (Cards) TRAIN: (Cards) plays: (Cards)
Personal:
staphros est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2006, 6:10am   #4
Axis of Evil
fantasy champ

Axis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond repute

Staphros has some good advice there and I am going to use some of it to better organize my own disheveled notes.

I personally give each player a letter grade (A-F) as to their abilities, using + for tight and - for loose and an AG for aggressive. I make note of as many hands that they show that I am able, as well as any hand out of the ordinary and note their position (T-7o UTG, E,M or L position), as well as any bets that I might not consider "normal." I also make note of whether they are chatterbox dicks or polite, sharks or fish, tilters or rocks, stations, bluffers or whatever you can think of that will remind you at a later date of how they were playing.

Characterize them but don't always believe your own notes. Once in a while that habitual blind stealer gets dealt a monster on the button.

Even a simple X to indicate you have played against them before will let you know that they very well may have notes on you so be careful not to fall into the same routine.
Axis of Evil est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2006, 9:56am   #5
staphros
Wolf Game LVP

staphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant future

To add to my first post I use the first line General(Tricky/Good/Ok/Poor)
as a summary.

Though not set in stone if a player makes 2 mistakes I delete tricky. Then if they make 3 mistakes I delete good. ETC.

However with player notes always be prepared to revise them.

I was playing a $5 SNG with a guy I had labeled a Loose maniac (I took all his chips pretty quick when i originally played him).

I was up against the same guy about 3 months later and his game was totally different (I didn't remember him but checked my notes).

I think he was very green when I first played him and was playing WPT/WSOP style.

However he now had a pretty tight game and much better hand selection.
Therefore I updated my notes and put him back as fair/good.

Also make sure you don't label some players too fast as they may switch up/down gears if its a tournement and rellying on quickly judged notes can cost you bad in this case.
staphros est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2006, 10:48am   #6
papaluke
Flop Artist

papaluke

On all hands that are shown down check the hand history if the cards are not shown and check the betting. I have notes on players who bet extremely strong with middle pair on the flop but not so strong with top pair. This sort of note can earn a lot of money as long as they aren't a tricky player. My notes are similar to staphros but not as detailed. I also note what games and limits they play.
papaluke est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2006, 3:16pm   #7
Doza
<=Wannabe maniac=>

Doza is on a distinguished road

I try to write down their general style (loose, tight) preflop and if they generally come in for a raise, limp, limp-call, etc.

I also write down odd hands they show (like marginal hands in early position) so that i know basically what hands they might have preflop. This adds up so that after a few hands i can call someone loose, tight, or something in between.

Then i like to note if they are tricky, solid or maniac players. Mose people at nl10 multitable and just play their cards, with a few players only playing one or two tables. These people playing few tables are ussually trickier, using position and raising a cbet, etc. I find it usefull to know how many tables certain people are playing, so i look them up in the player search. I was amazed to see 2 guys i always ran into playing 11 tables (AcedePique) and 9 tables (Deruy or Debuy).

I also note if they tend to bet draws, if they tend to call me down with middle pair (im pretty lag at the moment, so my image makes them do that from time to time), and if they generally have a hand when they raise all in (versus a bluff or a draw). Basically i note calling stations and bluffers here.

I also love to see how they play big hands. Many people i've seen lately wont cap it preflop with AA, but will go all in on the flop.

I also note if they are scared of flushes and straights. Many people will bet a lot with top pair to get rid of the flush, and if i happen to catch the flush they will fold to a value bet. This allows me to bluff at it when i dont have it, or give me (an idea of) propper implied odds when i have the draws.

I also love to note check-raises, and if they do it as a bluff or with a monster. On the same note, i write down if they tend to slowplay their hands, especially donks slowplaying trips
Doza est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2006, 6:30pm   #8
Axis of Evil
fantasy champ

Axis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond repute

I always forget that my opponents can see my bluff by using the hand histories. It's feels like being betrayed.
Axis of Evil est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2006, 2:54am   #9
chriscorn
Doyle Look-alike

chriscorn

Thanks for all the responses, I still have to read over them all but I sure didn't realize how much help player notes can be potentially...as long as you are to take the time to do them correctly.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 6:54am   #10
chriscorn
Doyle Look-alike

chriscorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by staphros View Post
I play SNG mainly - but I use the following - I found it on another site and changed it slightly.

I think it can be too much information for some people but I like it - I put it next to most people I play and just fill it out as I go.

General(Tricky/Good/Ok/Poor)
Style(Tight/Semi-Tight/Loose)/(Maniac/Agg/Solid/Caller/Raiser/Passive)
Steal(POTSTL/NO PS) :: (BLUFFER!)
TELL(Tell descriptor) :: Slow Play(YES/NO)
Bets: (Draw / Top pair / TP weak kicker / Mid pair / Low pair / trips, etc)
Doesn't Bet: (Draw / Top pair / Mid pair / Weak kicker / Low pair, etc)
All In: (Cards)
PTRAISE: (Cards) NOPOTRAISE: (Cards) TRAIN: (Cards) plays: (Cards)
Personal:
What is "TRAIN"?

PTRAISE meaning when the raise a bet to the amount of the pot?

NOPOTRAISE???