THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > General Discussion > Poker Stories

Old Nov 27, 2006, 10:36pm   #61
TWLLM

TWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggnh View Post
I really didn't know what elese to say man...other than I am glad to see that you have the bankroll to deal with the utter crap you are going through...

That, and I am assuming you are winning enough that you covering the depressing hands you are showing....
Yeah. I shouldn't complain as much as I have been I guess, because the competition has been SO soft that I have been able to cut losses by chopping at the small pots and running players over. And I did, as I posted above, suck out on a few hands.

That said... my god if I had actual EV this month instead of the result... I probably could have replicated the better half of my bankroll rather than trying to break even.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleU
Oh, and obviously, TWLLM, we'd all rather you just ruled with an iron fist of nittiness and made all decisions without consultation, but that goes without saying, right?
TWLLM est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Nov 28, 2006, 2:01pm   #62
ggnh
Disco

ggnh is a name known to allggnh is a name known to allggnh is a name known to allggnh is a name known to allggnh is a name known to allggnh is a name known to all

That is a sobering thought.... and I think a good reality check for those who have read your thread and have thought about playing full time/pro/no job... just poker.

You can't just assume that worse case you will make X a month.....

I've been lucky ( I guess) where the unexplainable downswing has been at the low limits and draining of my bankroll is minimalistic compared to what you have shown...

Me being all.... the silver lining is half full kinda person the good news is that you're surviving it and it sure as flange is a test of your ability to keep playing winning poker when lady luck has decided to turn into a man and bend you over lol....
<Ozone> I dunno... fuckin' poker
<Kc>this one is much closer to good advice but still introduces some unnecessary shortcuts across the grass for us to cover our boots in dog shit.
ggnh est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2006, 8:41pm   #63
TWLLM

TWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
That is a sobering thought.... and I think a good reality check for those who have read your thread and have thought about playing full time/pro/no job... just poker.

(3) You can't just assume that worse case you will make X a month.....

(2) I've been lucky ( I guess) where the unexplainable downswing has been at the low limits and draining of my bankroll is minimalistic compared to what you have shown...

Me being all.... the silver lining is half full kinda person the good news is that you're surviving it and it sure as flange (1) is a test of your ability to keep playing winning poker when lady luck has decided to turn into a man and bend you over lol....
1. Concerning the bolded part, please never use that analogy ever again. Otherwise, you might end up finding out how much the pool cue in the picture can hurt... and I don't mean when broken over your head.

2. For the underlined part, yes and no: the fact that your worst downswing hasn't been as bad as this (which is, btw, my worst this year but not my worst downswing... yet *knock wood*) isn't necessarily proof you've been lucky, for two reasons at least - one, I've probably been playing longer or at least more hands, which increases the a priori probability that a run such as this would occur in my playing time vs. yours, and two, if I was the second most unlucky poker player ever, your being the third most unlucky poker player (if either are true) would not make you 'lucky'.

This second point is why I always get pissed when people say "ok, so you've 12k (30 buyins) short of your EV going into the river in the last thirty days... but that one guy on Party lost the jackpot to a one outer for way more than 12k... so therefore you're not unlucky". No, I'm just not as unlucky as he is. So you see, you could be more lucky than me and still not be 'lucky' by a zeroed standard. YAY!

3. For the bolded and underlined part, this is why I never intend to play poker professionally, or as a business, or for the purpose of procuring a living. And you're my witness whenever I end up in front of Revenue Canada about whether I play professionally or not.

Quote:
Oh, and obviously, TWLLM, we'd all rather you just ruled with an iron fist of nittiness and made all decisions without consultation, but that goes without saying, right?
Old Nov 28, 2006, 9:40pm   #64
ggnh
Disco

ggnh is a name known to allggnh is a name known to allggnh is a name known to allggnh is a name known to allggnh is a name known to allggnh is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWLLM View Post
1. Concerning the bolded part, please never use that analogy ever again. Otherwise, you might end up finding out how much the pool cue in the picture can hurt... and I don't mean when broken over your head.
Sorry man... was a seemingly poor attempt at humour... no disrepect intended in whatever context that would cause you to do the same to me....

Quote:
2. For the underlined part, yes and no: the fact that your worst downswing hasn't been as bad as this (which is, btw, my worst this year but not my worst downswing... yet *knock wood*) isn't necessarily proof you've been lucky, for two reasons at least - one, I've probably been playing longer or at least more hands, which increases the a priori probability that a run such as this would occur in my playing time vs. yours, and two, if I was the second most unlucky poker player ever, your being the third most unlucky poker player (if either are true) would not make you 'lucky'.
Well by luck, I guess I meant that from a money stand point, outside of the bankroll in which each of us are playing at, the amounts you have lost in just those hands surpass the bankroll I play with. However, in a comparitive state of equality of levels and losses, I feel your pain, but as I said about the glass being full kinda guy I take solace in the fact the amount I loss is less.

We should discuss this again when/if I make it to the level you play at and ultimately face the same "horrible run of luck" and I will let you know if it felt the same or worse when I went through it at the level I play at.

In all honesty, I think it might even hurt less simply because going down a level for you (if it was ever warranted) would still reap a nice income as well as satisfaction, whereas if I go down a level because of the low stakes I play it is even a harder challange to "enjoy" playing because of the lack of interest.

Quote:
This second point is why I always get pissed when people say "ok, so you've 12k (30 buyins) short of your EV going into the river in the last thirty days... but that one guy on Party lost the jackpot to a one outer for way more than 12k... so therefore you're not unlucky". No, I'm just not as unlucky as he is. So you see, you could be more lucky than me and still not be 'lucky' by a zeroed standard. YAY!
Did you get Skalansky to do that math for you.. damn that hurt my brain I get the point though.... At least the guy at Party isn't as unlucky as this so that zeros his out too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5k8md...elated&search=

Quote:
3. For the bolded and underlined part, this is why I never intend to play poker professionally, or as a business, or for the purpose of procuring a living. And you're my witness whenever I end up in front of Revenue Canada about whether I play professionally or not.
[/quote]

Ohh I remember many of conversation we have had about you playing poker strickly as a way to relax and enjoy a little recreation amongst strages for wholesome fun ;)
<Kc>this one is much closer to good advice but still introduces some unnecessary shortcuts across the grass for us to cover our boots in dog shit.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 9:45pm   #65
TWLLM

Quote:
Ohh I remember many of conversation we have had about you playing poker strickly as a way to relax and enjoy a little recreation amongst strages for wholesome fun ;)
Just remember that part and it's all good.

Quote:
Old Nov 28, 2006, 9:55pm   #66
TWLLM

With the HSP clip, you're right thats a lot of money to lose on a one outer.

That being said, imagine having it happen AFTER the money goes in... hurts even more. Especially when it gets repeated two more times in a row (in the same situation I mean, not three hands in a row) after that.

Quote:
Old Nov 29, 2006, 4:34am   #67
ggnh
Disco

glad you cleared that up cause we didn't want another 5 minute 7 39 second fiasco