THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Feb 02, 2007, 3:40pm   #1
chefski
Grinder

chefski
Default Semi-big hands from SB & BB

I've been toying around with different ways to play semi-big hands (i.e. A/K, A/Q, 8's - J's, etc.) when out of pos. in the SB or BB. It is usually when you get limpers or small raises ahead of you with multi-way pots.

Obviously, two primary ways to play - 1) Call/check and hang under the radar, then either bet out or check raise if you hit, or 2) go ahead and raise to build the pot and/or reduce the field.

I had a hand in cash game yesterday where I had Ad/Kd in the BB with a straddle bet (2x the BB) and five callers. I checked, hit my K on the flop and got no takers when I checked it first time around then bet it on the turn. I was wondering if I'd raised pre and built the pot a bit if I'd be better off...? Any other ways you like to play these...??

chefski est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Feb 02, 2007, 3:45pm   #2
Doza
<=Wannabe maniac=>

Doza is on a distinguished road

With 8s-Js i might call for set value in a multiway pot. With AK and similar hands im raising to take it down preflop, or at least limit the field so i can take it down with a cbet, or trust that my top pair is good (in a multiway pot you will run into sets and two pair a lot).
Im raising a lot (1.5-2xpot size) to take it down preflop. Im not comfortable oop.
Old Feb 02, 2007, 6:26pm   #3
Icebreaker16
Doyle Look-alike

Icebreaker16
Send a message via AIM to Icebreaker16
Default moto

My opinion is to always raise with the premium hands unless you are at a very loose table. Like say if an A hit the board any1 with an A would be betting hard then I would just flat call/check with my Ak suited.

But on a regular basis I will never just flat call/check with a hand such as Ak suited. I've had to fold it so many times in situation like yours because people will call with any two and as soon as they hit 2 pair your finding out the hard way.
Icebreaker16 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2007, 8:28pm   #4
KevinM11
Professional

KevinM11 will become famous soon enough

For me it depends on how much I have been raising preflop.

If I've been raising a lot then I would tend to flat call in this situation. If I have 99-JJ and the flop is low I will lead out and hope someone had Ax hitting the x. If I have AK check raise. If AK and miss the flop then I can get away from it cheaply.

If I have not been raising a lot preflop then I would raise to narrow the field and bet out on the flop regardless.

Kevin

"take stock of any poor thought processes that may be causing you to lose money needlessly at the poker table." Ozone

"The main reason for me to play poker has always been to have fun and hopefully make a little cash." DK-Molinero
KevinM11 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 03, 2007, 12:56am   #5
Joes28
Grinder

Joes28 is on a distinguished road

Id raise everytime, but I also like to make a lot of steals with a lot of hands from the blinds when everyone has limped/squeeze plays on late position raisers.

When someone straddles you should definetly reraise because people will give u action with all sorts of junk because they think you are stealing it. Id raise pretty big and try to take it down pre because u are out of positon. Most live donks will call your raise/reraise everytime with AQ AJ, there is no way someone has a big pocket pair in the example you gave (unless the stradler has been shown to raise every time when it gets back to him. I reraise pre anyways, you dont want to play out of position with this hand and your hand is good almost everytime.)
Joes28 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 03, 2007, 3:21am   #6
KS_Perfection
Professional

KS_Perfection will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I had a hand in cash game yesterday where I had Ad/Kd in the BB with a straddle bet (2x the BB) and five callers. I checked, hit my K on the flop and got no takers when I checked it first time around then bet it on the turn. I was wondering if I'd raised pre and built the pot a bit if I'd be better off...? Any other ways you like to play these...??
With 12x the BB + the blinds already in the pot I'd put out a big raise, you might narrow it to 1 or 2, but if you win it right there its still a good result with a pretty big bounty. I dislike playing a large multi way pot with a premiun hand. 2 main reasons

1) With so many people in the pot the chances someone hits 2 pair+ is alot higher, so if you do hit tptk you don't know if ur trapping someone or their trapping you.

2) The people your up against also know this. There also worried about people hitting 2 pair+. So there not going to pay your AK off nearly as much in such a large field like if it were heads up. There not wondering does he have AA or AK, there also thinking did he hit a set or 2 pair?

Smaller reason is with AK, AQ 2/3 of the time you won't hit and you'll loose out on the big dead money. Whereas if you raised big you may have taken it down with a c-bet.
KS_Perfection est déconnecté   Reply With Quote