THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > Strategy > Beginners' Corner

Old Nov 30, 2006, 9:33pm   #11
Petroz
Doyle Look-alike

Petroz is on a distinguished road

Yeh great post, I'm going to try the notepad thing next time i'm tilting, very good idea.
It's alot easier to analyse a game when you're not in it i've heard so it would definately build one's ability to read players.

-Petroz

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Nov 30, 2006, 10:43pm   #12
IronLen1972
Degenerate

IronLen1972 has a brilliant futureIronLen1972 has a brilliant futureIronLen1972 has a brilliant futureIronLen1972 has a brilliant futureIronLen1972 has a brilliant futureIronLen1972 has a brilliant futureIronLen1972 has a brilliant futureIronLen1972 has a brilliant futureIronLen1972 has a brilliant futureIronLen1972 has a brilliant futureIronLen1972 has a brilliant future
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

just the people in the pot typically - I will try and put people on hands then guess actions through the hand partly based on that. Typically it might go something like this.

Player 1 raises 4x the blind - I judge him to be a LAG type who raised 6x bb with KK a few orbits ago so I range him on hands like KJ, QJ, QK. I don't give him credit for an ace-paint because I think he would bet more.

Player 5 flat calls - this player is on 6 other tables and I don't think he has any thoughts about anything other than his own cards. Flat call to me means pocket pairs looking for a set.

Player 8 flat calls - this player is on one table and has only played about 15% of the cards dealt his way. I immediately think he is on premium hands, other than AA or KK which I think he would have raised with.

When the flop comes I try to guess further and refine who has what. This is an actual hand I watched so I can elaborate a bit. The flop came A 9 Q. I forget the suites. When player one bet half the pot, I figured him KQ, and he was scared of the ace. Player 5 immediately folded his hand. I think he had a hand like a low pocket pair. His fold supports this. He might have had suited connectors but from the middle of the table....pocket pair set hunt. Player 8 flat called the bet, didnt make any moves and didnt take any time at all doing it. Turn and river were both low end cards, I forget which. But the turn and river, player one bet half the pot each time, which I interpreted as a card buy to help his hand. On the river, with no straight, no flush, Player 8 pot raised player 1. He called and showed QJ, which was weaker than I had assumed (though it was suited, I made a note!) Player 1 flipped over AT unsuited and took down the pot. I really thought he had a stronger hand than that. I was in the right ball park though. That reminds me, I have a tendency to overestimate the cards they are playing rather than under. Anyone feel free to weigh in on that, I can't figure out why. Maybe I am an optimist at heart.

usually - along with guessing what their hole cards are - I find it just as instructive to guess what they are going to do.

I catch myself verbally saying things like "And now he folds" , "Now he raises" and "He is going to check raise". Sometimes I won't have a clue what they have, but I know exactly what they are going to do, right down to the penny and place. If I could put the two together more effectively I would really up my game. That is currently what exercise one has really done for me.

As for limpers - at 10nl I always assume limpers to be coming in with anything other than the top ten premium cards unless the player has demonstrated the ability to do otherwise. So - I assume a HUGE range of hands then wait to see actions pre-flop to judge. Speaking of that...wow do ALOT of players limp at 25nl and 10nl. Just rediculous.
Old Dec 01, 2006, 3:36pm   #13
theonlythree
aka 3

theonlythree is on a distinguished road

A lot of times when I am card dead, I do this kind of stuff.

But then on the other hand, a lot of times when I'm card dead, I surf da weeb. That's a bad habit!
Old Dec 09, 2006, 3:25pm   #14
kenr77
Fish

kenr77 is on a distinguished road
Default Need to Use Exersize

I had a hand last night that really made me disappointed in myself. I had AKo and I hit a top pair(AA) on the turn with a JQ in the flop. I thought I a good chance of taking it down, but I did not pay attention enough to consider there were 3 hearts on the board. I hit a straight on the river(Th), and was very excited. I guess I was tired and I still did not consider the very real threat of a flush against me. I lost to the flush. I am constantly trying to remind myself to watch the board for what others might have. This was reeally stupid.
I think your 1st exercise could really help me and I am going try it. Thanks IronLen....

Take it Easy..
kenr77 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 03, 2007, 7:57pm   #15
iceickle
Doyle Look-alike

iceickle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenr77 View Post
I had a hand last night that really made me disappointed in myself. I had AKo and I hit a top pair(AA) on the turn with a JQ in the flop. I thought I a good chance of taking it down, but I did not pay attention enough to consider there were 3 hearts on the board. I hit a straight on the river(Th), and was very excited. I guess I was tired and I still did not consider the very real threat of a flush against me. I lost to the flush. I am constantly trying to remind myself to watch the board for what others might have. This was reeally stupid.
I think your 1st exercise could really help me and I am going try it. Thanks IronLen....

Take it Easy..
This has happened to me before as well, if your game supports it, turn the '4 colour deck' option on, that way you will have very little chance of missing three suited community cards!
iceickle est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 09, 2007, 1:08am   #16
Snaggle
Professional

Snaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to behold
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

much better than my typical break.I don't tilt from stuff that happens in the game;but do from stuff happening out of it and typically when tilting I start to be an all in maniac and both call ai and raise ai when I've put my opponent on the correct hand.This happened to me during my recent flu in which I blacked out.

Why do people keep typing "GG" when I go AI in the short stack with 72o?
Snaggle est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2007, 3:53am   #17
TJTay89
I am a wolf

TJTay89 has a brilliant futureTJTay89 has a brilliant futureTJTay89 has a brilliant futureTJTay89 has a brilliant futureTJTay89 has a brilliant futureTJTay89 has a brilliant futureTJTay89 has a brilliant futureTJTay89 has a brilliant futureTJTay89 has a brilliant futureTJTay89 has a brilliant futureTJTay89 has a brilliant future
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

I do this when I am waiting for a game to start. I have found that I automatically assume everyone at the table is TAG when I first start observing it. That makes me give most players to much credit for their hands. After awhile though, when I see enough show down's I am able to put people on a range of hands about 75% of the time. Now I just need to learn to do this more at the games I am playing.

I too find that I am good at knowing the action of the hand after the flop before it happens. Luckily this part of my game I am good at implementing during my own play, and it has helped me out a lot.

Some of the things that I do when I am not able to play (tilt) , are crunching various numbers in my SHAL template, re-read sections of poker books I have already read, and trying to figure out the reasons for my bad play/ tilt. Sometimes my problems are bad cards and sometimes they are bad play. Being able to look at it honestly lets me know if it is time to re-tool my game or wait for the luck to level out.
TJTay89 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote