THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > General Discussion > Poker Stories

Old Apr 09, 2007, 11:30am   #21
fraserbrown
Flop Artist

fraserbrown is on a distinguished road

Even if he isnt on tilt, taking a break or mixing up the game you play can make a world of difference. Back in January I was consitently crapping out at the $10 and $25 MMT's that are my specialty, so rather than lose my entire bankroll trying to shake the habit, I moved over and played cash games at a lower limit and even took a two week break from playing online altogether. Anyway, hope you luck takes a turn for the better.
fraserbrown est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Apr 17, 2007, 10:29pm   #22
GoldfishUltraDeluxe
Grinder

GoldfishUltraDeluxe is just really niceGoldfishUltraDeluxe is just really niceGoldfishUltraDeluxe is just really niceGoldfishUltraDeluxe is just really nice
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!
Default I didn't want to start my own thread....

I have recently found out that I should quit cash games altogether and play tournaments only.
The reason is that playing tournaments, I have a better chance to get back on track and avoid bad streaks. My latest FL HE 4x-table sessions have been very bad, and I am not good enough (in cash games) to change my play and get things right.

Further, once there is a bad streak coming up, we players always notice that the cards are dealt in strange, rare and insane ways....the bad beast...(yes, the last two letters are permuted ).

After my last horrible FL session I played a SnG, and that wasn't very funny either. Became shortstacked pretty early, with Jd9d on BB I hit 2 pairs but got outdrawn by a player getting his straight as an 8 hit the board for river.

Then I was carddead for quite some time and then comes a remarkable hand, which is a different kind of bad beat. (Don't tell me I played it bad, I know...)

JackTheKnight is at seat 0 with 950.
XBGrindR is at seat 1 with 910.
check-mr0 is at seat 2 with 905.
GoldfishUD is at seat 3 with 695.
HeyJay70 is at seat 4 with 920.
AKnogood is at seat 5 with 930.
ei45lord is at seat 6 with 430.
aphil is at seat 7 with 2,045.
abyss97 is at seat 8 with 845.
ml7tony is at seat 9 with 1,370.

The dealer is seat 8.

ml7tony posts a blind of 10.
JackTheKnight posts a blind of 20.

(GoldfishUD is dealt Kd As.)

Pre-flop:
XBGrindR folds.
check-mr0 calls for 20.
GoldfishUD raises 20.
HeyJay70 calls for 40.
AKnogood folds.
ei45lord calls for 40.
aphil calls for 40.
abyss97 folds.
ml7tony folds.
JackTheKnight folds.
check-mr0 calls for 20.

The flop comes
5h 2s 4h.

check-mr0 checks.
GoldfishUD checks.
HeyJay70 bets 20.
ei45lord raises 270.
aphil raises 270.
check-mr0 folds.
GoldfishUD folds.
HeyJay70 goes all-in for 860.
ei45lord goes all-in for 100.
aphil calls for 320.

Showdown:

HeyJay70 shows
5h 4h 3c 2s Ac
Straight, Five high

ei45lord shows
5h 4h 3d 2s Ad
Straight, Five high

aphil shows
5h 4h 3h 2s Ah
Straight, Five high

The turn comes 8s.
The river comes 6c.

HeyJay70:
6c 5h 4h 3c 2s
Straight, Six high

ei45lord:
6c 5h 4h 3d 2s
Straight, Six high

aphil:
6c 5h 4h 3h 2s
Straight, Six high

HeyJay70 splits pot (467 of 1,400).
ei45lord splits pot (467 of 1,400).
aphil splits pot (466 of 1,400).
HeyJay70 splits pot (490 of 980).
aphil splits pot (490 of 980).

Note that...
1. I got a good starting hand (AK), but played it really bad preflop.
2. I had all my callers dominated, so I should be the favourite.
3. The flop is completely insane...

I mentally recovered from this, as well as hand a few orbits later where I raised with AQ UTG, got two callers and found a rainbow flop QJT. I bet out for information, but soon realized there was a AK hand around and had to lay down my hand. The third player had QJ, and got stacked.

I wasn't very happy at this point, but since I truly enjoy playing tournaments I managed to recover and finished 2nd place, after...well...ok...a bad beat .