1idjack7: calls $0.65
--- DEALING TURN [4d]
ChefAtze: bets $1.55
1idjack7: folds
$1.55 is not called, return back to ChefAtze:
ChefAtze: mucks
Hand 681593931:
ChefAtze: wins($3.49)

After the check raise on the flop i'm thinking a set. don't know much about the villian, but a limp pre-flop followed by the smooth call of the raise and subsequent check raise tells me that he hit. i tend to see monsters under the bed, so the set was my first thought, but after the hand, i remembered what stakes i was playing at and thought he could have an over pair to the board, but JJ-KK was unlikely since he would have/should have raised preflop. I supposed A7 is a possibility as well, but i haven't run into too many players that semi bluff at 10NL. thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Apr 23, 2007, 6:43pm   #2
cula
Brunson

cula is on a distinguished road

The min-c/r on the flop looks like he thinks you are c-betting this and your call doesn't show much strength, so he thinks he can take a shot at the pot on the turn.
cula est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2007, 7:33pm   #3
Badsastard
Sick, Sober and Sorry

Badsastard will become famous soon enoughBadsastard will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Badsastard

IME of 10NL this is a classic 'I've hit a set' action. As you said limp call preflop and a check-minraise on the flop is the usual way a lot of players play a mid-low PP which has hit a set. I think you should have raised more preflop and then bet the pot on the flop. You don't get too many people that CR semi bluff at 10NL so I don't put the OP on a draw here. To make sure you probably could have reraised the flop and if the OP pushes or calls you're probably going to be done with the hand, I don't really like the call and then folding to the turn bet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Beaks View Post
We're doomed I tell ya, DOOMED!
Badsastard est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2007, 8:07pm   #4
1idjack
Brunson

1idjack

i didn't raise more preflop b/c the table was fairly tight. anything more than .50 was folded to all but the best holdings. (in retrospect, that's exactly what i wanted, not to let someone in cheap looking to hit a set.) i've played at 10NL long enough to know the tendancies players have when betting a specific hand. to check raise me on a ragged board after i raised pre-flop sends "set" alarm bells off in my head. and yes, the call/fold was weak and i need to fix that. of course, the dummy could have had A8 and was betting TPTK, (happens quite often at 10NL), but i couldn't be sure. no real info on the player. i just felt that my AA was beat.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 3:29pm   #5
SidMaynard
Too tired for poker

SidMaynard

I don't mind a fold here, you have a read on the betting pattern and you went with it. Sometimes you will be wrong, but who amongst us hasn't folded the best hand sometimes?

I do think you played your Aces a little weakly. You haven't shown that much strength so far, with a standard pf raise and 2/3 c-bet. This is a draw heavy board (str8 and flush) so I would bet the pot on this flop. This also buys you more info when you are check-raised.

As it is I think a re-raise is in order. Yes, his min check-raise could be a set, but it could easily be 99 putting you on AK and trying to find out where he was. I would raise to $2.50 and fold to another raise. Also you have position in the hand so can check behind if he calls and checks the turn.

You will find as you go up the levels that people are a lot more aggressive and make plays at you while the pot is small to see how you respond. You won't be able to fold Aces so easily or you will get run over.

The thing I don't like, as mentioned by Badsastard, is the call/fold line you take. If you are unsure where you are on the flop, then either re-raise and put the decision back on him or fold. By calling you are showing weakness which he will inevitably attack on the turn.

If you are fairly certain you are behind and are going to fold to a turn bet, then fold to the raise on the flop. You have 2 outs to improve, so the situation isn't going to get any better on the turn.

It's important to think ahead, as you may be uncertain about what to do on the flop, but when you consider whether you will be happy to call another 2 bets on the turn and river it can often make your decision for you.

Last edited by SidMaynard; Apr 26, 2007 at 4:25pm.
SidMaynard est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2007, 4:21pm   #6
IWTYM
Doyle Look-alike

IWTYM is on a distinguished road

this is obviously the ugliest board you could get with a limper who calls your preflopraise.

he could have anything here from a straight (97s) to a set or 2 pair. probably not much out there you beat, so i dont mind a fold on turn.

bet the flop potsize, reraise flopraise. if you get a rereraise or push -> fold, if he calls, checkfold turn.