THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Jun 28, 2007, 9:26am   #21
angusg
Bot on tilt

angusg is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure it's the best idea to move up purely based on bankroll considerations. I like the idea of playing at least 20,000 hands at a given level (and establishing a respectable win rate) before moving up.
angusg est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Jun 28, 2007, 11:24am   #22
Doza
<=Wannabe maniac=>

Doza is on a distinguished road

Basically if you go strictly by the 20 buyin rule at each level (past 10nl) you have to earn 20 buyins to move to the next. If you've got a ptbb of 5/100 then you need to play 20k hands for this, so it adds up.

I for one only play cash at the moment, and the occasional affiliate freeroll or fpp satelite, so moving up means that i have to put in the hands i need.(no way for me to make a big score in a mtt or something).
Old Jun 28, 2007, 1:15pm   #23
Lord Mushroom
The Dark Knight

Lord Mushroom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doza View Post
Now im up 3 buyins in 150 hands or so (so just down like $30 for the day) and im feeling extatic. Variance shouldnt get to me so much!!!

Any tips of how to get myself imune to this shit??
With time you will get used to such swings and much bigger swings will be needed to trigger the same feelings you currently feel.
(00:42-03:27)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TibA0sQQZw8

The bot has spoken.
Lord Mushroom est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2007, 4:16pm   #24
theonlythree
aka 3

theonlythree is on a distinguished road

Yeah, the reason I'm such a bankroll nit is because I used to go on tilt playing $10 NL with under $100. A bad day would account for 20% of my roll, and I'd panic and try to win it back at a higher level. Sometimes I'd win it back, but results aside, that's a horrible habit to have. In the long run, playing with 50% of your roll on a cash table is going to f you in the a.

I was pretty angry yesterday when I dumped $50, but when I checked my bankroll I noticed it barely made a dent. It's a lot easier to cope with swings when they don't mean much long-term.

I think you might benefit from that, Doza. Something to think about.
Old Jun 28, 2007, 5:03pm   #25
Boomer2k6
TWLLM'ing My Showdowns

Boomer2k6 has a spectacular aura aboutBoomer2k6 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Boomer2k6 Send a message via MSN to Boomer2k6 Send a message via Skype™ to Boomer2k6

Looking at an overall or long term graph is also a good thing for making you realise small swings mean nothing overall.

Limit Holdem: Because All 4 Streets Matter!!

You've Nowhere to Hide
Nowhere to Run
You're Rage, It'll
BURN Like the Heart of the Sun!!
With Infinite Glee
It's Going to be Me
That Minbets The World!!!

Boomer2k6 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2007, 8:38pm   #26
BubbleBoy
BubbleBoy

BubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Quote:
Any tips of how to get myself immune to this shit?? I mean..every time i'm up 3 buyins i'm shaking and most of the time that i'm down 4-5 buyins i'm pissed off.

same with me, just try to give it some time and get a realistic view. It will get better.

And try to et off the PC after 2 bad beats, I always feel this need for revenge but it's completely pointless.

BubbleBoy est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2007, 9:10pm   #27
Ishbu3116
Pope of Online Poker

Ishbu3116 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Basically if you go strictly by the 20 buyin rule at each level (past 10nl) you have to earn 20 buyins to move to the next. If you've got a ptbb of 5/100 then you need to play 20k hands for this, so it adds up.

I for one only play cash at the moment, and the occasional affiliate freeroll or fpp satelite, so moving up means that i have to put in the hands i need.(no way for me to make a big score in a mtt or something).
20 buy-ins is not enough anymore. You need more like 30 minimum. When I started playing $2000NL I gave myself a starting bankroll of $70000. At lower stakes you may not need that many but it is a good idea to get in the habit of doing that early IMO.
Old Jun 28, 2007, 10:11pm   #28
BubbleBoy
BubbleBoy

BubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

It's tough to say how many buyins you need.

I mean basically you would want to play with that fraction of your bankroll that maximizes your long term profit. there is some informative stuff on this here

I think if you are mentally strong enough to move up and down in limits frequently something like 15 buyins seems good advice, because of those 30 you will never need all of it and hence its not necessary to have it.

All this comes from a bankroll nit, I am playing totally overrolled but I'm kinda scared of losing more than 200 bucks a hand just as it is. (its nonsense I know but hell)

BubbleBoy est déconnecté   Reply With Quote