THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Aug 22, 2007, 9:58pm   #1
KHSPoker21
Pirate

KHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of lightKHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of lightKHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of lightKHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of lightKHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of lightKHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to KHSPoker21
Default I have a bloated ego

August is going to be my first losing month in over a year. I'm down about 4k at 200NL at this point and it's still plummeting. That's probably not too much of a shock to most of you but for someone who hasn't had a losing month in over a year, it's quite a shock.

During this time, I realized something. I have a bloated poker ego. What is the main result of the bloated poker ego? Fancy play syndrome.

Who cares if I call a 3-bet with Q3 offsuit and check-raise all in on an A high flop? 73 4-bet all in because I believe he'll fold QQ? Sure! Go right on ahead. Hey, look 87 on a 7 high board. It must be good for 100BB's because he's bluffing me with overcards!

Simply put, I played like I couldn't be beat and made ridiculous moves. Maybe it's because I took a break from poker in July and was a little trigger happy but I've never been down 20 buy-ins for one month before.

I just feel like venting at my own ridiculous ego at thinking I can bluff and outplay every single person at the table. I need to stop making hero calls against regulars and bluffing off calling stations. Simple rules that I've screwed up after all this time.

/rant

Last edited by KHSPoker21; Aug 22, 2007 at 10:02pm.
KHSPoker21 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Aug 22, 2007, 10:14pm   #2
shads
public enemy

shads will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to shads Send a message via Skype™ to shads

Kwan I used to do some of the exact things which you describe i.e. making moves with absolute garbage and I ending up spewing all over the place (moreso than now). I know it can feel terrible when things like this happen and sometimes it gets to a point where you almost feel like you don't care, whats another buyin gone when you've already lost 20? But the good news is that there is an easy fix for the short term which also leads to a more long term solution.

I am probably preaching to the converted but I would prefer to do that than not try to offer some help.

Firstly decide if you want to play any more this month or are you just sick of it? Are you ready to reshape yourself or will you have tilt problems if you encounter a big suckout early on? If you are ready then the answer is simple: cards matter, tighten up. I consider myself pretty lag but I always fold tradtional garbage hands e.g. Q3 - simply because they suck hard, remember people don't play those hands for a reason. If you want to make moves wait for hands that have a backup plan, that means pairs/suited connectors, or occasionally just connectors or "barely SCs". Think about the equity that KK has against q3o compared to 79s, there is a big difference. So the solution here is simple, play TAG for a bit and if you feel there is a good situation to be exploited always have some sort of hand. This is good because I'm guessing you probably make moves far too often and having some sort of hand selection reduces this but also you have plenty of good flops that can come for you.

There is suprisingly some good news for you. At the moment you are a maniac, if you play TAG you will be amazed at the money which will be thrown at you in the short term, your big challenge is to make sure that you don't throw it back. So basically in the short term playing ABC TAG will help you out since it will get you back into good habbits but also your opponents will still think you are a maniac. In the long term if you prefer to play lag then only making moves with a reasonable hand is the way to prevent yourself from being overaggro but also means that you can win a lot more pots legitimately when you were "bluffing" to start with.

Good luck man, I'm sure you will turn things around.

http://shadspoker.blogspot.com/
shads est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2007, 10:42pm   #3
Doza
<=Wannabe maniac=>

Doza is on a distinguished road

First of all im sorry that things turned out that bad for you this month. Taking a break from poker and maybe re-reading a book or some old forum threads will do you wonders.

I have to say that i totally agree with Shads previous post. I used to have huge fps related problems and used to play a lot of shit just because i thought that i could outmanouver everybody, while people kept telling me to tighten up and stop bluffing.

I still think i can outmanouver everybody, however im mostly cured of fps. I decided to make an experiment and try to play rockish abc tag (i think i even made a thread about it) with very strict preflop hand requirements. I stuck with those for a few k hands, then i added a few more to tweak things to an abc tag style where i have a hand that can hit something.

This has worked wonders for my discipline and ,more importantly, it kept me from playing fancy every hand. Now with a much tigther image and with some kind of hand a lot of the time i'm seeing that the game is soo much easier to play, and that there really arent many moments where i can get fancy. And when i happen to get fancy, i have the perfect image for it, and sometimes a few outs.

So i'd say experiment with playing a tight range for a while. Something like 18/15 for 5/6max. It will keep you out of tough spots untill you regain some confidence and start playing looser again.

Hope this helps, you're obviously a much better player than me but i had to write this down.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 11:01pm   #4
kid hustlr
Professional

kid hustlr is a splendid one to beholdkid hustlr is a splendid one to beholdkid hustlr is a splendid one to beholdkid hustlr is a splendid one to beholdkid hustlr is a splendid one to beholdkid hustlr is a splendid one to behold

Please dont throw all creativeness out the door.

Obey the simples rules yes but you are a good enough player to make the odd 'play'

"lucky in love, unlucky at cards", you must have bought yourself a fuck by now.
kid hustlr est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2007, 12:36am   #5
theonlythree
aka 3

theonlythree is on a distinguished road

Out of curiosity, have you been card dead lately? That is what leads me to overplaying weak hands.

I think it's better to be card dead at a higher level than a low one. If you fold 90% of hands, then get AK with two callers and miss the flop, it's fucking brutal. SO BORING. That leads to spew in my case.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 12:49am   #6
KS_Perfection
Professional

KS_Perfection will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I think it's better to be card dead at a higher level than a low one. If you fold 90% of hands, then get AK with two callers and miss the flop, it's fucking brutal. SO BORING. That leads to spew in my case.
I really hope your kidding. Folding 9 hands than getting AK and missing the flop puts you on tilt, Lol. I missed the Flop!, Poker is Rigged.
KS_Perfection est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2007, 1:19am   #7
Ishbu3116
Pope of Online Poker

Ishbu3116 is on a distinguished road

This is not really a rant I would have to say. At least if it is it is much more than that. I think there are a few holes in your play (not based on anything except for a 20 buy-in downer at $200NL.) I think you should use this time to study some more and try and plug some leaks and get ready for next month. My biggest improvements as a player have come when I have run the worst.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 6:03am   #8
Joes28
Grinder

Joes28 is on a distinguished road

play live, its impossible to lose, and if u do you can always win it back with BJ.
Joes28 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2007, 6:05am   #9
WaxHaX0rS
Thread Killer

WaxHaX0rS has a spectacular aura aboutWaxHaX0rS has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joes28 View Post
play live, its impossible to lose, and if u do you can always win it back with BJ.
I think prostituting yourself should be a last resort.
WaxHaX0rS est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2007, 8:14am   #10
Joes28
Grinder

Joes28 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxHaX0rS View Post
I think prostituting yourself should be a last resort.
nh sir.
Joes28 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote