THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Sep 08, 2007, 8:29am   #1
alisoduke
River Rat

alisoduke is on a distinguished road
Default Badly played or unlucky???

Sorry i dont have the hand history so ill try and make it as clear as i can. Was playing this guy heads up .50/1 nlhe for about an hour when both of our stacks were at about 150. He had the only re-buy. I get dealt QKo I raise the pot to $3 he calls. Flop comes Ac 10s 10c. I bet the pot ($6) and he min raises me another $6. I figured at this point i was pretty asured he had the 10 and was just hoping a jack would come on the turn cause i knew if it did i would stack him. Turn comes Js. I check, figuring he would bet, he bets $12 i reraise about $36, he re-raised to $66 and i then pushes all in. River comes another J.

Showdown: A 10 10 J J
Hero ( Q K ) Ace high straight
Villain (10 8 ) full house 10s over J's

So of course i got sucked out on, but my real question is my play on the turn. Should i have just called his initial bet and saw the river to make sure i was safe, or did i make the right play and just took a bad beat? If i played that hand differently and just called the turn i know i would have folded if i saw that J on the river knowing my straight is no good.

Last edited by alisoduke; Sep 08, 2007 at 8:31am.
alisoduke est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Sep 08, 2007, 10:32am   #2
Ishbu3116
Pope of Online Poker

Ishbu3116 is on a distinguished road

This hand is completely standard. You should always put your money in on the turn always. If you get sucked out on you get sucked out on no big deal. Just shake it off and move on to the next hand.
Old Sep 08, 2007, 10:41am   #3
Iestyn75
Professional

Iestyn75 will become famous soon enoughIestyn75 will become famous soon enough

Forgive my naivety at this level heads up, but a) how did you so accurately put him on the T (rather than, say an Ace) and why would you want to gutshot draw to the non-nuts on the flop when the Jclubs may have been no use to you either.
Iestyn75 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 08, 2007, 12:16pm   #4
alisoduke
River Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iestyn75 View Post
Forgive my naivety at this level heads up, but a) how did you so accurately put him on the T (rather than, say an Ace) and why would you want to gutshot draw to the non-nuts on the flop when the Jclubs may have been no use to you either.
This guy constantly raising preflop was playing really passive on the flop and just did not have the balls to make a "Min" raise with any A Q or <A Q, J, (not T) ,9,.,., So with this "Min-Raise" I knew he wanted a call and figured that since I called his standard preflop raise that ill probably be drawing on this board somehow. I figured that If i call this $6 bet into an already $30 pot that ill probably get paid off pretty well, if he has any other Tx besides AT or JT.
Old Sep 09, 2007, 8:58am   #5
Iestyn75
Professional

Iestyn75 will become famous soon enoughIestyn75 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoduke View Post
This guy constantly raising preflop was playing really passive on the flop and just did not have the balls to make a "Min" raise with any A Q or <A Q, J, (not T) ,9,.,., So with this "Min-Raise" I knew he wanted a call and figured that since I called his standard preflop raise that ill probably be drawing on this board somehow. I figured that If i call this $6 bet into an already $30 pot that ill probably get paid off pretty well, if he has any other Tx besides AT or JT.
I understand how and why you thought you'd get paid off, and I'm not totally ignorant of implied odds, but I'm not convinced, perhaps others could help me out with the odds and stuff. Just seems to me that first up you only had 4 outs to improve, possibly not even that, and that if you were convinced that his flop min-raise indicated that he wanted the call (ie strength) then those to factors combine make your call -EV.

Side question: what do you think he thought you had?
Iestyn75 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 09, 2007, 9:13am   #6
alisoduke
River Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iestyn75 View Post
I understand how and why you thought you'd get paid off, and I'm not totally ignorant of implied odds, but I'm not convinced, perhaps others could help me out with the odds and stuff. Just seems to me that first up you only had 4 outs to improve, possibly not even that, and that if you were convinced that his flop min-raise indicated that he wanted the call (ie strength) then those to factors combine make your call -EV.

Side question: what do you think he thought you had?
Most likely he put me on a A k or A Q. Playing against a different player under different circumstances I'm going to fold this 9/10 times after a re-raise on the flop.