THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Feb 12, 2008, 5:12pm   #1
biggietrout
Flop Artist

biggietrout is on a distinguished road
Default Would you call this river too?

Just wanting to see what others do in this situation. I put this guy on an open-ender and he hit it. There was lots of $ in the pot so I called because I there was still a chance that he didn't hit it. However, I should have check called the river instead of betting. Do most of you call in this situation or if you are really sure you're beat, do you save the one extra bet, even when the pot is this big?

PokerStars Game #15234197392: Hold'em Limit ($0.10/$0.20) - 2008/02/12 - 11:00:35 (ET)
Table 'Granule' 6-max Seat #6 is the button
Seat 2: biggietrout ($18.68 in chips)
Seat 3: feature2k6 ($2.78 in chips)
Seat 4: CabochardLas ($6.40 in chips)
Seat 5: mccubs ($3.01 in chips)
Seat 6: KOUNYMOUNY ($29.73 in chips)
biggietrout: posts small blind $0.05
feature2k6: posts big blind $0.10
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to biggietrout [Js Jh]
CabochardLas: folds
mccubs: calls $0.10
KOUNYMOUNY: calls $0.10
biggietrout: calls $0.05
feature2k6: checks
*** FLOP *** [8c 9h 6s]
biggietrout: bets $0.10
feature2k6: calls $0.10
mccubs has timed out
mccubs: folds
mccubs is sitting out
KOUNYMOUNY: calls $0.10
*** TURN *** [8c 9h 6s] [3c]
biggietrout: bets $0.20
feature2k6: folds
KOUNYMOUNY: calls $0.20
*** RIVER *** [8c 9h 6s 3c] [Ts]
biggietrout: bets $0.20
KOUNYMOUNY: raises $0.20 to $0.40
biggietrout said, "damnit"
biggietrout: calls $0.20
*** SHOW DOWN ***
KOUNYMOUNY: shows [7h 7c] (a straight, Six to Ten)
biggietrout est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Feb 12, 2008, 5:32pm   #2
Boomer2k6
TWLLM'ing My Showdowns

Boomer2k6 has a spectacular aura aboutBoomer2k6 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Boomer2k6 Send a message via MSN to Boomer2k6 Send a message via Skype™ to Boomer2k6

1) Raise Preflop

2) River he's got to be bluffing or an idiot 1 in 8.5 times for a call to be profitable. it;s close but I'd probably call. If I've got the read he's a complete calling station I'd be able to make a laydown becaseu Calling Stations don't raise without a striaght on that board. If I'd raised preflop I'd most likely call because the pot's bigger and I'd now only need to be good 1 in 10 or so.

Make a note that he's a fish for limping 77 behind on the button and move on.

Limit Holdem: Because All 4 Streets Matter!!

You've Nowhere to Hide
Nowhere to Run
You're Rage, It'll
BURN Like the Heart of the Sun!!
With Infinite Glee
It's Going to be Me
That Minbets The World!!!

Boomer2k6 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2008, 6:36pm   #3
evandijk70
Brunson

evandijk70 has a spectacular aura aboutevandijk70 has a spectacular aura aboutevandijk70 has a spectacular aura about
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

PLS raise preflop
I don't think it's close, you see JT, QT maybe even AT often enough here, you have to call imo. I usually bet that river as well, again because JT or QT will often call and sometimes raise.
evandijk70 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2008, 12:55am   #4
biggietrout
Flop Artist

biggietrout is on a distinguished road

Honestly, I usually raise preflop. This table was extremely loose and when it got around to me, I was about to click raise but decided not to. I asked, "why raise here?" My first reason was to eliminate the field. However, at least four people were calling my raises each time during this session. I knew that certain people were playing weak aces and I wanted to see the flop before I raised. Why? Because if an Ace hit, I knew I got out cheap. It's a total weak play, I know, but at this table most of my raises were called by 3-4+ people. Why raise if I know I'm getting called and I can't narrow down the field? Plus, I'm increasing their odds after the flop when I raise preflop (maybe I shouldn't think about this in micro limits).

Actually, during this session I was getting more value out of raising with my weaker hands, such as T9s and 98s.

Please comment on my statements and questions above. I'd love to hear your thoughts.
biggietrout est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2008, 3:58am   #5
ImAllInNow
Grinder

ImAllInNow

Eliminating players is not the only reason to raise preflop. Especially at LHE, the main point of raising preflop (or at any time mostly, especially low limits) is to build a pot when you have the best hand. JJ is by FAR the best hand in this hand so for each chip you put in you are making money. There's some merit to not raising preflop with hands like AJo or ATo or even maybe AQo in this spot as it is tougher to play these hands OOP, but JJ is a definite raise.

I think bet/fold on the river is probably the best line if you are playing against a passive calling station. At the low limits, I think this is an easy bet/fold since the players are not gonna be good enough to make a move at the pot here. If you knew that the opponent was a tricky player then check/call might be better to induce a bluff from 65, 85, 95 or value bet from a T.
ImAllInNow est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2008, 5:47pm   #6
Boomer2k6
TWLLM'ing My Showdowns

Boomer2k6 has a spectacular aura aboutBoomer2k6 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Boomer2k6 Send a message via MSN to Boomer2k6 Send a message via Skype™ to Boomer2k6

Raising JJ here is for value not to narrow the field.

You don't raise AA preflop becasue you want everyone to fold.

You want hands like A7, A9, KT in the pot with you because, aside from a couple of backdoor draws they're drawing to 3 outs.

You do get value raising Suited connectors in late position becasue they're big hand breakers and you're building a bit pot, hopefully in position, multiway.

Limit Holdem: Because All 4 Streets Matter!!

You've Nowhere to Hide
Nowhere to Run
You're Rage, It'll
BURN Like the Heart of the Sun!!
With Infinite Glee
It's Going to be Me
That Minbets The World!!!

Boomer2k6 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote