German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > Strategy > No-Limit Hold'em Ring Games

Old Mar 04, 2008, 8:25am   #1
swanboy
Flop Artist

swanboy is on a distinguished road
Default significance of ?stupid tiny bet rel to pot

I often come across this
in general terms if you see someone who puts in a tiny bet rel to the pot what do you think.Do you generally think he's a poor player and make a note of it. Is this what they term a "donk" Bet?
thanks Steve
swanboy est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Mar 04, 2008, 11:36am   #2
imtb
Brunson

imtb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanboy View Post
I often come across this
in general terms if you see someone who puts in a tiny bet rel to the pot what do you think.Do you generally think he's a poor player and make a note of it. Is this what they term a "donk" Bet?
thanks Steve
Yes
Old Mar 04, 2008, 3:28pm   #3
Mr Beaks
Don't got it going on

Mr Beaks is just really niceMr Beaks is just really niceMr Beaks is just really niceMr Beaks is just really nice

Quote:
I often come across this
thanks Steve
It's generally one of two things:

1. Blocking Bet - It's someone trying to put in a small bet OOP with a weak / drawing hand to stop you from betting and thereby seeing the next card cheaply

2. Weak Lead - It's someone who has a monster and is trying to get you to think he's weak so you come over the top. Sort of like a check-raise

Neither of these are particularly effective against good players so definitely make a note of it. Once you figure out the pattern then you have a ton of great information to use against him.
Old Mar 04, 2008, 6:31pm   #4
Hawkwynd
Brunson

Hawkwynd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Is this what they term a "donk" Bet?
thanks Steve
No, a donk bet is when you call a PF raiser OOP and then bet out after the flop.

Otherwise /agree with everything posted, except maybe the part about better players seeing thru a weak raise ruse... multitable tags seem to jump all over this. Usually only works once or twice per villian though... Of course temper that with.. really... how may "good" players are playing NL25? (besides me of course )

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidMaynard View Post
Or: Shut Up and Deal
Hawkwynd est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 04, 2008, 6:43pm   #5
theonlythree
aka 3

theonlythree is on a distinguished road

Usually when people min bet me I call down to see his cards. You can't really make a reliable note on him without a showdown.

In my experience, people do this with draws, monsters, and bottom pair.
Old Mar 04, 2008, 9:28pm   #6
Drewbles
Doyle Look-alike

Drewbles is on a distinguished road

The first time anyone donk min bets my PF raise, they get a pot sized raise no matter what cards i have, especially if there is an obvious draw on the board.
Old Mar 04, 2008, 11:17pm   #7
deuce65
Brunson

deuce65 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I often come across this
thanks Steve
A donk bet is when a player bets into the last person to raise in the previous round.

With that said, I make a note of min bets like this, but it is important to note what the situation is when they do it. At the lower levels, I find that people tend to follow the same patterns over and over again. So for one player a min bet might mean they are weak and hoping for a fold, for another player it might mean they are strong and hoping for a call or raise. But I find that whatever it means, they tend to mean the same thing for that player in that situation, every time.
deuce65 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 04, 2008, 11:43pm   #8
BubbleBoy
BubbleBoy

BubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

If you have any kind of possible out, always raise their minbets. like you pop it from the CO with 98, BB calls and bet 1/4 pot on a A56 board. Bump him.

BubbleBoy est déconnecté   Reply With Quote