THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > General Discussion > Poker Stories

Old Apr 30, 2008, 5:35am   #1
Got 6 Aces
Unprofessional

Got 6 Aces will become famous soon enoughGot 6 Aces will become famous soon enough
Default I think i'm experiencing my first proper downswing

Hmmm yes. It's been a little over 2 years and being a bankroll nit + TAG player for the first 18 months of that hasn't really prepared me for a proper downswing and now my eye of the tiger has replaced by the cancerous bollock of a newt.

For the first 9 months of playing I was a $1.10-3.30 SnG masta sweeping away all in my path. The next 3 months were spent taking shots at cash games and larger MTT's always playing with far to many buy ins as a cushion to preserve each nickel and dime made before.

The start of the second year was spent more at cash game tables and unable to accept the loss of 2-3 buy ins I would revert back to SnG's and MTT's only ever single tabling top continue the preservation of said nickels and dimes until June 21st when bankroll = $1930.

Then the 3 month Thailand trip came and after 2 weeks I returned to the tables unaware of the effect a break has on your A-game and after 3 hours of 100nl I was down to $1300 in an ugly spewfest where Satan was sat on my shoulder tickling me with his fiery fork whispering in my ear, "HE'S BLUFFING YOU SHOULD SHOVE ALL IN!!" then giggling in joy as another $100 went into the pocket of someone else who Satan had chose to leave alone.

I decided to switch to 4-tabling 10nl FR for the duration of the Thailand stay and by the end of the 2nd month there I was forced to cash out $1250 to pay for hookers and drugs......no wait, accomodation and training.

I arrived back on British shores with $93.75 in my poker account and no money to deposit. The $50 to $1000 in 60 days challenge was set and from Sept 21st the gauntlet had been laid down successfully completed after 87 days. After cashing out monies for Christmas/New years I began 2008 with only $635 with which to flirt the tables with.

Combining my beating of the 180's on stars and switching back to 50nl I'd got bankroll to $1800 by the start of April and the future seemed bright. Bright like a glo-worm after sex. But the reality of this was dim, dim like this kid I once knew at school.

I took the $1800 to 100nl where I'd got all in with QQ on a Jxx board V's JT, lost and it's been downhill ever since. After taking that beat I moved back to mixing 50nl and 100nl where the poopyness continued until I was forced to move back to 50nl permanently. A 9 buy in downswing there combined with a forced $300 to pay for a trip to Spain this coming weekend meant the bankroll was down to $1000.

This past week I've not felt like playing a hand at all apart from a few HU SnG's and 0.05/0.10 with a friend. I'm bored of continually losing. Bad luck, bad cards, good hands not getting paid off. I'll sit to a table with a set game plan to play TAG but the aggression in me wants to 3-bet 78s on the button V's that loose pre-flop raiser. Then just now I sat to 25nl and had a flopped set of queens lose to a runner runner flush after an all in on the flop and I'm done.

I love poker more than anything I've come across but the glamour and allure of the cards has gone. Where it was enjoyable to play and exciting to open 6 tables instead of 4 for the first time it's now dull and unfulfilling and this massive downswing has gradually taken it's toll to the point where I'm doubting my ability to play and win at any level. My pathetic $929.74 will stay on stars until hopefully I can come back and do something with it.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Apr 30, 2008, 1:42pm   #2
SidMaynard
Too tired for poker

SidMaynard

I hear your pain G6A:

http://www.pokertips.org/forums/showthread.php?t=55801

But there is light at the end of the tunnel:

http://www.pokertips.org/forums/showthread.php?t=58696

If you can stay around to find it.

Last edited by SidMaynard; Apr 30, 2008 at 1:50pm.
SidMaynard est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2008, 2:24pm   #3
SwoopAE
CAPITAO

SwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

We've all experienced sick downswings and had it lead us down the road of questioning whether we really are winning players. I hope that in your case it's just a run of bad luck and that you are able to make a successful return to the game when you're ready.

If it's any consolation, I dropped over 3k without a single three figure cash playing $25-40 MTTs at one point over a month and a half but i'm up over 20k over the past 12 months and it made me question what i'm doing wrong; the answer was... variance happens and it sucks.
SwoopAE est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2008, 2:31pm   #4
KHSPoker21
Pirate

KHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of lightKHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of lightKHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of lightKHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of lightKHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of lightKHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to KHSPoker21

Sorry about that G6A. It's always a sucky time. A good thing to do is to take a break. Get your mind clear. Then go back at PT and look at your hands and particularly your big losers and how you played them. Everyone likes to pin things on bad luck (including me) but it's really important to find how to play all of your hands better. GL.
Old May 01, 2008, 11:29am   #5
Got 6 Aces
Unprofessional

Got 6 Aces will become famous soon enoughGot 6 Aces will become famous soon enough

Cheers guys, ya Sid I remember reading those threads before, 4-5 months is a loooooong time and what you say about not wanting to lose and it effecting how you act away from the felt is true. I'm use to the standard 4-6 buy in up and downswings but not 10 buy ins and especially not at 50nl.

Aye Swoop variance sucks a fatty and Kwan yup, I know some of this loss is due to bad play spewage is soo lame.

I'm off to Spain tomorrow and when I get back I'll be too busy organising things ready for the move out there to be thinking about poker. Hopefully a few weeks away from the tables while I concentrate on other things will help.

I suppose in the grand scheme of things I'm still $600 up from new years but there's a big difference between being $1200 up and looking to 100nl, and being $600 up and wondering if you can even beat 25nl.