THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > General Discussion > Poker Stories

Old May 05, 2008, 7:02am   #1
Tyrone Shuz
Flop Artist

Tyrone Shuz
Default Karma for being a benevolent big stack!

Took an early lead (SNG) then eventually ceded it to a "table captain" who took down some pots w/BS that hit, as well as showing down a few bluffs.

I don't play many cards even as a big stack, though if I'm in, I'm pretty ferocious. I stung this bully re-taking the lead HU on the end, and three hands later put him away w/cards I'd never play, but HU on the end, anything can happen.

PokerStars Game #17212931210: Tournament #87234344, $3.00+$0.40 Hold'em No Limit - Level VIII (200/400) - 2008/05/05 - 02:14:50 (ET)
Table '87234344 1' 10-max Seat #8 is the button
Seat 8: Havana03 (4600 in chips)
Seat 10: Tyrone Shuz (10400 in chips)
Havana03: posts the ante 25
Tyrone Shuz: posts the ante 25
Havana03: posts small blind 200
Tyrone Shuz: posts big blind 400
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Tyrone Shuz [Tc 8d]
Havana03: calls 200
Tyrone Shuz: checks
*** FLOP *** [7d 2c 5h]
Havana03: checks
*** TURN *** [7d 2c 5h] [9h]
Tyrone Shuz: bets 400
Havana03: calls 400
*** RIVER *** [7d 2c 5h 9h] [Jc]
Havana03: bets 1200
Tyrone Shuz: raises 8375 to 9575 and is all-in
Havana03: calls 2575 and is all-in
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Tyrone Shuz: shows [Tc 8d] (a straight, Seven to Jack)
Havana03: shows [2s 5s] (two pair, Fives and Deuces)
Tyrone Shuz collected 9200 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 9200 | Rake 0
Board [7d 2c 5h 9h Jc]
Seat 8: Havana03 (button) (small blind) showed [2s 5s] and lost with two pair, Fives and Deuces
Seat 10: Tyrone Shuz (big blind) showed [Tc 8d] and won (9200) with a straight, Seven to Jack

I bet half the pot on the turn, and got called. Perhaps I should have bet more to win the pot vs. a loose opponent. I'd planned to give the hand up had I not hit my draw or paired. I'd retaken the lead because he called me down w/a hand that was pretty weak, but it was a hand nonetheless. If he had one, I was beat at that point.

I went all-in on the river instead of calculating his stack because I wanted to appear desperate. Given what he had, he likely would have called anyway, but how could I know that?

I realize things fell in place rather nicely for me, but did I make any errors here?
Tyrone Shuz est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old May 05, 2008, 9:14pm   #2
ImAllInNow
Grinder

ImAllInNow

I don't like the river check. You just hit the nuts and it's an overcard to the board so he might well check-behind a one pair hand that he woulda called a good sized bet with. I think the check is too tricky and you should just make a 3/4ths pot sized bet.
ImAllInNow est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old May 05, 2008, 9:48pm   #3
Tyrone Shuz
Flop Artist

Tyrone Shuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImAllInNow View Post
I don't like the river check. You just hit the nuts and it's an overcard to the board so he might well check-behind a one pair hand that he woulda called a good sized bet with. I think the check is too tricky and you should just make a 3/4ths pot sized bet.

I agree with this assessment, under normal circumstances. I just knew he'd bet if I checked. Well, OK, I didn't "know", but I felt very strongly that a) he had a hand, as he merely called my flop bet, and b) he'd in all likelihood bet if I checked. He definitely pushed me off a few hands earlier in the tourney. Were he not loose and super-aggressive, no way I check the river.

I was surprised he called the all-in. He still had just under 2,600 left, enough for a fighting chance, especially to a pot-stealer vs. a more conservative player. I thought hard about a raise that wouldn't put him all in, but maybe leave him w/1,500. My logic was that if I seemed to be that calculating, he'd fold, whereas if I just threw it all in (and I did it immediately) he'd think I was bluffing.

I would classify my opponent as one or two rungs down from a "maniac". He wasn't in every pot, but 86d was good enough to call a small raise with, for example. Heck, he called w/25o on the hand in question, so HU it was indeed ATC for him.

The kicker is, had he thrown out any bet on the flop, I'd have been gone. I had two weak overs, so a minimum bet would have given me 3-1 for a top pair that might not be good, but a double-size bet would not have given me the odds for any type of chase. He gave me a free card. He could have made me fold again w/a large raise on the turn that wouldn't permit the odds to chase the OE str8 and one weak over.
Old May 05, 2008, 10:05pm   #4
ImAllInNow
Grinder

ImAllInNow

Yeah, he definitely misplayed every street in this hand.

I just think that if you think he's going to bet if you check, why not bet and figure he'll raise? The only reason to check here is to induce a bluff from a missed draw (which might be possible, but if he was going to bluff, why didn't he bluff the flop?).
ImAllInNow est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old May 05, 2008, 10:32pm   #5
Tyrone Shuz
Flop Artist

Tyrone Shuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImAllInNow View Post
Yeah, he definitely misplayed every street in this hand.

I just think that if you think he's going to bet if you check, why not bet and figure he'll raise? The only reason to check here is to induce a bluff from a missed draw (which might be possible, but if he was going to bluff, why didn't he bluff the flop?).

OK, now we're getting somewhere. That makes sense. But he literally could have had anything, so I checked to show weakness. I was also playing really tight poker, so a bet may indeed have scared him. Or not.

He misplayed pre-flop because he should have folded.

I'm not sure he misplayed the flop--he hit 2pr, HU, not very vulnerable, so he was trapping.

He smooth-called the turn, and fell in the trap on the river.

What are the odds of me having T8? The str8 wasn't an obvious draw.

He did get greedy, even though the odds were well in his favor. He could have taken a decent pot on the turn w/a big raise, or a smaller pot on the flop w/just about any bet. With a board like that, I'm not sure I'd fear trips or higher 2pr, but please continue, I'm learning.
Old May 06, 2008, 7:35am   #6
Tyrone Shuz
Flop Artist

Tyrone Shuz
Default Hey, I'mAllInNow!!!!

I took your advice vs. another super-aggressive player, HU on end. Check it out!!

PokerStars Game #17236368376: Tournament #87355025, $3.00+$0.40 Hold'em No Limit - Level VII (100/200) - 2008/05/06 - 03:28:37 (ET)
Table '87355025 1' 10-max Seat #4 is the button
Seat 4: prcug (6065 in chips)
Seat 9: Tyrone Shuz (8935 in chips)
prcug: posts the ante 25
Tyrone Shuz: posts the ante 25
prcug: posts small blind 100
Tyrone Shuz: posts big blind 200
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Tyrone Shuz [7h Kc]
prcug: raises 200 to 400
Tyrone Shuz: calls 200
*** FLOP *** [Kh 6c Jc]
prcug: bets 600
Tyrone Shuz: calls 600
*** TURN *** [Kh 6c Jc] [Ks]
prcug: bets 600
Tyrone Shuz: calls 600
*** RIVER *** [Kh 6c Jc Ks] [7s]
Tyrone Shuz: bets 3200
prcug: raises 1240 to 4440 and is all-in
Tyrone Shuz: calls 1240
*** SHOW DOWN ***
prcug: shows [As Th] (a pair of Kings)
Tyrone Shuz: shows [7h Kc] (a full house, Kings full of Sevens)
Tyrone Shuz collected 12130 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 12130 | Rake 0
Board [Kh 6c Jc Ks 7s]
Seat 4: prcug (button) (small blind) showed [As Th] and lost with a pair of Kings
Seat 9: Tyrone Shuz (big blind) showed [7h Kc] and won (12130) with a full house, Kings full of Sevens