THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > Strategy > Omaha Ring Games

Old Jun 27, 2008, 9:44pm   #1
IronLen1972
Degenerate

IronLen1972 has a brilliant futureIronLen1972 has a brilliant futureIronLen1972 has a brilliant futureIronLen1972 has a brilliant futureIronLen1972 has a brilliant futureIronLen1972 has a brilliant futureIronLen1972 has a brilliant futureIronLen1972 has a brilliant futureIronLen1972 has a brilliant futureIronLen1972 has a brilliant futureIronLen1972 has a brilliant future
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!
Default Flopped Set into Flush Draw, Missing Outs

Great!

Glad to see an omaha section, and I have an immediate post regarding flopping a set in a multi way pot. As an example:

My hand : 9h 9s Th Js

Board : 9c Td 2d

With the board hitting my set but also eating up one of my outs to the full house while providing a straight draw and flush draw...how much value does my set have? If the turn comes in with a diamond or a queen, what then?

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Jun 28, 2008, 12:05am   #2
JJS6866
Grinder

JJS6866 is just really niceJJS6866 is just really niceJJS6866 is just really niceJJS6866 is just really niceJJS6866 is just really nice
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronLen1972 View Post
Great!

Glad to see an omaha section, and I have an immediate post regarding flopping a set in a multi way pot. As an example:

My hand : 9h 9s Th Js

Board : 9c Td 2d

With the board hitting my set but also eating up one of my outs to the full house while providing a straight draw and flush draw...how much value does my set have? If the turn comes in with a diamond or a queen, what then?

The exact same thing just happened to me. Is this the correct play???? I don't really have any reads on the villian. I'm only playing 1 table and this is 20 hands into the session. I'm also drinking and smoking weed so I'm slightly retarded....hey its friday man....

PokerStars Game #18426089154: Omaha Pot Limit ($0.50/$1.00) - 2008/06/27 - 19:59:14 (ET)
Table 'Marmara' 6-max Seat #3 is the button
Seat 1: gallionfish ($48 in chips)
Seat 2: GuitarGod69 ($132.25 in chips)
Seat 3: JJS6866 ($54.85 in chips)
Seat 4: eddie099 ($54.70 in chips)
Seat 5: boris64 ($50.35 in chips)
Seat 6: Andiminator ($121.45 in chips)
eddie099: posts small blind $0.50
boris64: posts big blind $1
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to JJS6866 [Qd 6c 5h Qc]
Andiminator: folds
gallionfish: raises $1 to $2
GuitarGod69: folds
JJS6866: calls $2
eddie099: calls $1.50
boris64: folds
*** FLOP *** [5s 7h Qh]
eddie099: checks
gallionfish: bets $6
JJS6866: raises $14 to $20
eddie099: folds
gallionfish: raises $14 to $34
JJS6866: raises $14 to $48
gallionfish: calls $12 and is all-in
Uncalled bet ($2) returned to JJS6866
*** TURN *** [5s 7h Qh] [8d]
*** RIVER *** [5s 7h Qh 8d] [6h]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
gallionfish: shows [Ad 2c Qs 4c] (a pair of Queens)
JJS6866: shows [Qd 6c 5h Qc] (three of a kind, Queens)
JJS6866 collected $96 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $99 | Rake $3
Board [5s 7h Qh 8d 6h]
Seat 1: gallionfish showed [Ad 2c Qs 4c] and lost with a pair of Queens
Seat 2: GuitarGod69 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: JJS6866 (button) showed [Qd 6c 5h Qc] and won ($96) with three of a kind, Queens
Seat 4: eddie099 (small blind) folded on the Flop
Seat 5: boris64 (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 6: Andiminator folded before Flop (didn't bet)
JJS6866 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2008, 2:30am   #3
IronLen1972
Degenerate

IronLen1972 has a brilliant futureIronLen1972 has a brilliant futureIronLen1972 has a brilliant futureIronLen1972 has a brilliant futureIronLen1972 has a brilliant futureIronLen1972 has a brilliant futureIronLen1972 has a brilliant futureIronLen1972 has a brilliant futureIronLen1972 has a brilliant futureIronLen1972 has a brilliant futureIronLen1972 has a brilliant future
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

the flush came on too. gallionfish just plain played horrifically
Old Jun 28, 2008, 5:13am   #4
TWLLM

TWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to behold

@ Len, any chance of a full hh (as in, action up to that point?) Without a pot size/# of players/who raised (if any)/your position etc. this is not an easy question to answer.

First thing to note is that second set - even when you have a blocker to the only higher set - is not nearly as strong as it might seem. The problem is that if you're behind, you're drawing to 1 out or runners, wheras if you're ahead, you'll probably only be a marginal favourite. And since bottom set doesn't automatically get big action the way it does in hold'em, there are few hands you are really going to extract value from. So the fact that you have one of your 'outs' to a FH isn't actually the biggest problem with this spot.

What this means is that if your stack is say 50x the pot on the flop, you need to proceed fairly cautiously with the hand. If, however, the pot is raised or re-raised preflop and you're short - say your hand is like 5x the pot or less - you probably don't care and should just put it in as soon as possible.

So can you please give us a hh or more information, so we can give you a better answer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleU
Oh, and obviously, TWLLM, we'd all rather you just ruled with an iron fist of nittiness and made all decisions without consultation, but that goes without saying, right?
TWLLM est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2008, 3:33pm   #5
IronLen1972
Degenerate

I'll have to dig up a few for you TWLLM. The hand I cited was an example of overall problem hand for me. Whenever I hit a hand like above, I seem to misplay it repeatedly. I get stuck as often as not.