German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > General Discussion > Poker Stories

Old Dec 04, 2008, 6:11pm   #41
WaxHaX0rS
Thread Killer

WaxHaX0rS has a spectacular aura aboutWaxHaX0rS has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by acehole_76 View Post
You almost had me with this but I am afraid IMO the risk is worth the reward here.
damn you're horrible.
WaxHaX0rS est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Dec 04, 2008, 6:31pm   #42
skeptix82
Making Monies

skeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to skeptix82

I am going to have fun with this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Beaks View Post
Where's your empathy?
I'm all for empathy, but let's explore this without our empathy weighing us down.

Quote:
Yes, ultimately your problems are your own responsibilty but what if you don't have the skills or the strength to deal with them on your own?
If you do not have the capacity, then perhaps the world would be better off without you (or your possible offspring). In many cultures it has been considered honorable to kill yourself once your usefulness to your social group has ended.

Quote:
What sort of world would it be if we cut people loose just because they didn't meet our own standards of self-reliance?
This is a trick question. We already cut people loose for a plethora of reasons. Also, your context of "own" in "didn't meet our own standards" tries to paint said standards as personal and/or selfish. We're talking about an alternative social contract. "Be useful and productive within society or fuck off and die".

Quote:
Should we refuse to help homeless people who are alcoholics for instance?
Yes. The vast majority of homeless alcoholics are beyond repair. Their existence is miserable. Maybe they should be euthanized.

Quote:
Without the empathy and compassion to understand the reasons behind a person's actions all you have is an attitude that says "I think that's dumb so screw him, he deserves it". Surely that can't be right?
You assume that there ARE reasons behind a person's actions. We'll not turn this into a free-will debate, but suffice to say that I think our nature is our nurture.

It's not about "he deserves it". There is no spite or hate in my voice while I ponder these things. It's about the greater good.

Too often people think they are being compassionate but do so in an incredibly short-sighted manner. I'll use an example from each side of the political spectrum. From the right you have the "pro-life" movement (misnomer, ldo, it's anti-choice, I'm not "anti-life"). From the left you have affirmative action. With the abortion example, it's basically just a double standard, be compassionate to x, but not to y. With the affirmative action example, it's a matter of compassion=bad policy.
Old Dec 04, 2008, 6:39pm   #43
skeptix82
Making Monies

skeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus View Post
brillant question, Ill keep that in mind, thanks

Ill try to start a non profit buisness to solve all earth's problems tomorrow at dawn

seriously, of course I would feel the same way. the degenerate being in my familly wouldnt make him any less dumb, addicted, less responsable etc but then I could at least try to help him
I don't think I've fully appreciated your wit until this post.
Old Dec 04, 2008, 6:44pm   #44
skeptix82
Making Monies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axis of Evil View Post
So forget that guy? Don't think of way of trying to intervene, even if it is just sending a simple email to the pokersite, because he is a degenerate? This thread was looking promising until you opend your yap Gus, but come on and shit on me now because calling in your cronies to pile on me is much easier than keeping your true self disguised.
Gus is the best thing going for this thread (up to a few posts ago ).
Old Dec 04, 2008, 6:49pm   #45
skeptix82
Making Monies

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxHaX0rS View Post
Think about it.
Gold.
Old Dec 04, 2008, 6:57pm   #46
skeptix82
Making Monies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axis of Evil View Post
I guess it's offical, KS Perfection. Since you don't know this guy then screw him. Let him kill himself and don't give it any more thought. Afterall, it was probably just a scam, right? You were well intentioned to start this thread but it has been determined by those with forum authority that your concern is misguided and you needn't worry. There, don't you feel better now?
Wow. I didn't think you could fit that many fallacies into one paragraph.

It's not about "know" or "not know", it's about "can help" or "can't help". You can't help this guy, if he's gambling the food money he's already in a pretty horrible place, likely as the result of a string of bad decisions or unfortunate situations. Do you really think your e-mail to Stars support will be the thing that brings him around?

If this happened to me, I'd more or less assume he was full of shit, trying to get his money back or make me feel bad.

If he does kill himself, why would you assign any time to ponder that? What good does that do?

I'd say 90% scam, 9.5% full of shit. .5% and it's darwin award time.

Quote:
those with forum authority
What are you even getting at? I don't know about others, but I take your posts as they are, and I've agreed with you in the past. This thread, however, was mostly emotional diarrhea coming from you.
Old Dec 04, 2008, 7:04pm   #47
skeptix82
Making Monies

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Perfection View Post
If your dealing with cold people using an argument of morality and it being the good thing to do can fall on deaf ears. For these people using cold logic...
You cannot have a true morality without cold logic. When you allow emotion to rule your moralistic arguments, what you get is a false morality. Now, it's hard to blame people for having a false morality, considering less than 1% of humanity are capable of attaining true morality (disclaimer : in my estimation).
Old Dec 04, 2008, 7:18pm   #48
Axis of Evil
fantasy champ

Axis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond repute

Damn Skeptix, where have you been? I didn't think you'd ever get here. Sometimes it just takes a bastard. Now I call it boredom, but "emotional diahhrea" is so beautifully descriptive that I almost gag a little.

I made my peace with S-Gus PM stylie, and mentioned my admiration of KS for being a decent human, but the rest just needed the school marm with the wooden rule to smack some knuckles. Thanks mommy.
Axis of Evil est déconnecté   Reply With Quote