Pre Flop: ($0.75) Hero is BB with K A
BTN/SB raises to $1.50, Hero calls $1

Flop: ($3.00) K 6 8 (2 players)
Hero checks, BTN/SB checks

Turn: ($3.00) K (2 players)
Hero bets $2, BTN/SB raises to $6, Hero raises to $15, BTN/SB calls $9

River: ($33.00) 3 (2 players)
Hero bets $22

So, this isn't a very interesting or well-played hand, but I did make a mention in the improvement thread that I would try to cross-post my hand-histories, and since there weren't really any interesting hands from my brief session yesterday, this one gets called up. I know that in another thread, criticism was made of a poster for posting a fairly common or uninteresting spot, but I hope that this attitude hasn't taken over yet. Not all spots are interesting or all hands thread-worthy, but an active strategy forum does ensure that we don't miss the opportunity to learn something just because we think the hand we refrain from posting is really obvious (and if we're in the habit of posting, we won't somehow miss posting a hand that isn't "standard" and uninteresting).

Anyway, my little speech. World peace. Carrying on...

The impression I had of the villain in this hand was that he had a pretty solid preflop game, but postflop he tended to slowplay in nonsensical spots and he was kind of a station (although he might have been tilted because I had coolered him sorta a couple of times... but he did c/c down 3 streets with AKs on TTxTx in a 3b pot before any of that had happened). He'd also folded to literally all of my 3bets so far, which is why I flatted preflop.

He hadn't cbet very often so far, but I hadn't really donked either, so I elected to still go for the CR, only, he checked back. When he raises on the turn I don't think he has any air in his range very often, but that might be limited history talking since I had been leading the turn versus his flop check backs (which were undercards/scared hands more often than they were marginal showdown hands). But given that he had shown stationy and slowplay-y tendencies, my 3bet size maybe should have been bigger. Like, if I had jacked it up to 22-24, I would have had an easy river push.

Similarly, I think I blearghed the river bet size, and I prefer a bet of like 25-28 as played. Anyway, I'm just sort of looking for thoughts on my thoughts, and what people are doing on the river if they play the turn as badly as I did. Would an overbet be better?

Also, I want to include a link to these threads in case anybody wants to read what people on Deuces Cracked are saying (if anything), but am not sure if it's kosher.
cobalt est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Oct 11, 2009, 3:35pm   #2
MalcomX
Professional

MalcomX has a reputation beyond reputeMalcomX has a reputation beyond reputeMalcomX has a reputation beyond reputeMalcomX has a reputation beyond reputeMalcomX has a reputation beyond reputeMalcomX has a reputation beyond reputeMalcomX has a reputation beyond reputeMalcomX has a reputation beyond reputeMalcomX has a reputation beyond reputeMalcomX has a reputation beyond reputeMalcomX has a reputation beyond repute

I am not really a fan of flatting pf, i think AK is to weak,
to let him in that cheap, especially oop.

Flop is standard, donking on that board does not make
much sense.
On the turn is raise a little bit bigger (19-20), so that
i make a psb allin bet on the river.

my stop loss is 2 broken keyboards. My PB is 4 broken keyboards in a day

"I was raised in this society, so there is no way
you can expect me to be a perfect person" (2PAC)
MalcomX est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2009, 5:23pm   #3
cobalt
Professional

cobalt has a spectacular aura aboutcobalt has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cobalt Send a message via Skype™ to cobalt

Thanks for the reply.

I feel that if I am 3betting, it's not really like I am protecting anything. The main point of flatting was that he was basically folding to all 3bets... he might have flatted with some pocket pairs since the sample size wasn't huge or anything, but he showed no indications of being a typical opponent where I could 3b and get it in profitably. He was folding to all 3b, and I wanted to play the hand, even OOP. Also, he seemed pretty loose to checkraises, and not that he was probably thinking about it, but having this in my range would strengthen my range for doing so (I think he should think it's pretty strong since I had only CR TPGK that I remember, but I'm actually not sure if that was earlier or later in the match).

Allowing the fact that I butchered the turn, are there any arguments for betting a smaller size on the river? My reads would argue no, but maybe there's something I'm not seeing.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 11:01pm   #4
WJF84
Brunson

WJF84 will become famous soon enoughWJF84 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to WJF84

Last edited by WJF84; Aug 28, 2010 at 3:06pm.
WJF84 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2009, 11:13pm   #5
cobalt
Professional

cobalt has a spectacular aura aboutcobalt has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cobalt Send a message via Skype™ to cobalt

I probably wouldn't 3b AA at this point in the match for basically the same reasons (I did do it earlier in the match when I was less sure of my read), unless I had really begun to exploit his folding frequency and he seemed to be adjusting in some way. I would have been polarizing my 3bets at that point, but I am unsure to what degree it would be skewed (probably I would 3b AK just because it's a lot more combos).

But, yeah, at this point in the match, I wouldn't 3b AA.