THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Mar 01, 2010, 7:24pm   #1
ElKabong
River Rat

ElKabong is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Top pair, flushy board

Third time is a charm, i hope. Two crashes while trying to post this so far.

Seat 1: Thomi71 ($7.80)
Seat 2: t_ove44 ($29.00)
Seat 3: HERO ($23.90)
Seat 5: Chaka13 ($43.12)
Seat 6: taigua ($21.00)
Chaka13 posts the small blind of $0.15
taigua posts the big blind of $0.25
The button is in seat #3
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to HERO [Kc Js]
Thomi71 calls $0.25
t_ove44 folds
HERO raises to $0.50
Chaka13 calls $0.35
taigua raises to $0.75
Thomi71 calls $0.50
HERO calls $0.25
Chaka13 calls $0.25
*** FLOP *** [9h 3d 9d]
Chaka13 checks
taigua checks
Thomi71 checks
HERO checks
*** TURN *** [Kd]
Chaka13 bets $0.50
taigua calls $0.50
Thomi71 folds
HERO calls $0.50
*** RIVER *** [10d]
Chaka13 bets $0.50
taigua calls $0.50
HERO calls $0.50

Chaka13 is a calling station
taigua is more LAG but also a calling station. Only seen him threebet preflop with KQs before. Quite unpredictable postflop and source of a few WTF bets.

I didn't think my KJo was the best hand on the flop so I went for a free card. Then it got scary. Should I have gotten out on the turn with top pair and good kicker and give him credit for the flush or a 9 and just fold. A raise just seems stupid and folding felt a bit weak. I should have folded on the river for sure.

Last edited by ElKabong; Mar 01, 2010 at 7:30pm.
ElKabong est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Mar 01, 2010, 7:39pm   #2
killcrazy
Apex Predator

killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

the turn is a call (unless your opponent only bets his hands), and call the river if it bricks, it's thin but profitable. it's nice to have the calling station to bump your pot odds.

river is a fold, you can beat an optimistic pocket pair, that's all.

the lack of a cbet from villain is interesting, any idea what that means with this player?

Kc
Old Mar 02, 2010, 9:22am   #3
ElKabong
River Rat

ElKabong is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by killcrazy View Post
the lack of a cbet from villain is interesting, any idea what that means with this player?
My first thought was that he threebet with something like A9s and the slowplayed his trips hoping for some action and got scared when the possible flush hit. This player isn't very good after all and could probably do it on this board. After all, people at this level slowplay all kind of stuff. At the same time this wouldn't make much sense since I've seen him reraise the flop with nothing but two overcards.
Old Mar 02, 2010, 6:13pm   #4
killcrazy
Apex Predator

killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

this is the character you've only ever seen 3bet KQs, right?

I don't see anything with a 9 in it threebetting you out of position. If KQs is the bottom of his threebetting range, he isn't going to 3bet with lower than an AJ, occasionally an AT maybe, but everyone knows the gulf that exists between AT and A9. Even if he would do it with A9 when it was suited, there are only two A9s in the deck.

the reason you would call down even though your kicker is pretty bad against his range, is that he may well be hammering turn and river with AQ or AJ trying to get you off a pocket pair, with the turn being a 3rd flush card, there's a fair chance he bets the turn with say, the naked ace of the suit and follows through on the river. On the turn, his betting on the come or delayed cbet bluffing makes up enough of his range that you can call with your weak king, on the river, his following through with air/busted nut draw/overoptimistic pocket pair makes up enough of his range that you can call again. when the river is a diamond though, and you're being asked to overcall, your king is no good pretty much always. once in a blue moon you're going to fold it and they'll turn over hands you can beat, but not that often.

Kc