THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Mar 25, 2010, 8:09am   #1
the_fox31
Resident Fox

the_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud of
Default Chess

I'm being thoroughly outclassed by killcrazy. I think he's had 4 convincing wins in a row now. I'd like to spread that feeling of superiority around.

Open challenge.

thefox31 on chess.com

I'm rated at about 1700 there, so probably in the 1500 ballpark over the board? I'll play anyone who's interested though, GM or patzer.

Also, if anyone wants to talk chess or post games or whatever, here's a thread for it.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Mar 25, 2010, 10:24am   #2
glockers
Professional

glockers is a splendid one to beholdglockers is a splendid one to beholdglockers is a splendid one to beholdglockers is a splendid one to beholdglockers is a splendid one to beholdglockers is a splendid one to beholdglockers is a splendid one to beholdglockers is a splendid one to behold

Ok I am a chess idiot, I never really have bothered to play it more than once or twice a year though.

So can you teach me how to be good at it?
glockers est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2010, 3:14pm   #3
killcrazy
Apex Predator

killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

pokertips chess tournament. pokertips chess tournament. pokertips chess tournament

Kc
Old Mar 25, 2010, 4:41pm   #4
killcrazy
Apex Predator

killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fox31 View Post
I'm being thoroughly outclassed by killcrazy. I think he's had 4 convincing wins in a row now. I'd like to spread that feeling of superiority around.
you did okay in the last one?

Quote:
I'm rated at about 1700 there, so probably in the 1500 ballpark over the board?
ask about this on chess.com and prepare yourself for a series of "you can't compare chess.com ratings to otb ratings" posts.

i haven't played enough there to get a feel for how inflated their ratings are, they will be less inflated the higher you go. i reckon you're probably around 1400-1500 uscf/1325-1425fide, but if you started playing live tournaments you'd perform lower than that because it takes time before you can play a four hour game without losing concentration, you also have to be able to manage the clock and you can't leave the game and come back to it fresh when you suddenly see the move that is obviously best. plus in correspondence chess you're allowed to use books, you can go to the bathroom whenever you want without having to find an arbiter, you're allowed to smoke without your opponent making fake coughing sounds every time you light up, and so on.

Quote:
Also, if anyone wants to talk chess or post games or whatever, here's a thread for it.
yeay. here's my most recent game, black vs a 1940 fide:

time control is 34 moves in 85mins + game/20mins, time left for each player is in wee brackets after the moves whenever i felt obliged to record it.

1. e4 c5
2. Nc3 Nc6
3. g3 g6
4. Bg2 Bg7
5. d3 d6
6. Be3 Rb8
7. Qd2 b5
8. f4 (80) b4 (80)
9. Nd1 Nd4
10. c3 bxc3
11. bxc3 (74) Nb5 (72)
12. Rb1 (67) Bd7 (67)
13. Ne2 e6
14. O-O Ne7
15. d4 (57) cxd4 (60)
16. cxd4 O-O
17. Nf2 Na3
18. Rxb8 Qxb8
19. Qc3 (40) Nb5 (44)
20. Qd3 Qd8 (35)
21. a4 Nc7
22. Qa3 (32) Bc6 (31)
23. Bd2 d5
24. Bb4 Re8
25. Rc1 Bb7
26. Bd6 (15) Na6 (25)
27. Rb1 (10) Qd7 (21)
28. e5 Nc8
29. Bc5 Nxc5
30. dxc5 (7) Ne7 (19)
31. Nd4 Ba6
32. Rb4 Nc6
33. Nxc6 Qxc6
34. Rb2 (2+20) Bf8 (12+20)
35. Rc2 Rc8
36. Kh1 Bxc5
37. Qc1 Qxa4
38. Ng4 (17) Bc4 (16)
39. f5 exf5
40. Nf6+ (11) Kg7 (6)
41. h4 Be7
42. Nxd5 Bxd5
43. Rxc8 Bxg2+
44. Kxg2 Qe4+
45. Kf2 Qxe5
46. Qc3 Qxc3
47. Rxc3

we're both in the last 5 minutes on our clocks, so neither of us are recording moves at this point. i threw the outside pawn up the board to keep his rook on the a file and protected it with my bishop, traded a pair of pawns on the kingside, then sacked the a pawn for his last kingside pawn and slowly moved my three remaining pawns up the board. we reached this position with less than a minute left on our clocks:

and he played Rxf5, I grabbed the rook, he explained that for some reason he'd got it into his head that his king was stalemated, and resigned.

Kc
Old Mar 25, 2010, 5:20pm   #5
the_fox31
Resident Fox

the_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockers View Post
Ok I am a chess idiot, I never really have bothered to play it more than once or twice a year though.

So can you teach me how to be good at it?
If you sign up over there we can play some friendly matches and talk through moves and plans if you'd like. Send a challenge if you're interested.

kc is a lot stronger so he has more to teach you and will have much more accurate analysis but like I said, I'll take games with any of you guys.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 5:46pm   #6
the_fox31
Resident Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by killcrazy View Post
you did okay in the last one?
Thank you sir.

Quote:
ask about this on chess.com and prepare yourself for a series of "you can't compare chess.com ratings to otb ratings" posts.
Their forums have a LOT of noise. There are good players and smart people there, but I rarely venture into those waters.

Quote:
i haven't played enough there to get a feel for how inflated their ratings are, they will be less inflated the higher you go.
I'm not so sure about that. They have people on there rated like 2900 who are probably average IMs. It is definitely inflated though.
Quote:
i reckon you're probably around 1400-1500 uscf/1325-1425fide,
Good to know. I actually still have my Chess Canada membership card from when I was like 10, but I haven't played rated games since then.
Quote:
but if you started playing live tournaments you'd perform lower than that because it takes time before you can play a four hour game without losing concentration, you also have to be able to manage the clock and you can't leave the game and come back to it fresh when you suddenly see the move that is obviously best. plus in correspondence chess you're allowed to use books, you can go to the bathroom whenever you want without having to find an arbiter, you're allowed to smoke without your opponent making fake coughing sounds every time you light up, and so on.
When I was a kid I played a few local tournaments. They weren't 4 hour games though, I think they were just game 60 which I don't have trouble with, but for sure it would be a big adjustment.

Side note: I found some old men playing chess in a library on Monday night and had a couple games with them. Didn't get to play the Russian one named Yuri though. He was a very popular opponent. He only knew a few words in English, but he used them cheerfully almost as mantras during the game. During the opening he would quietly repeat "good position" in a singsong voice and when the game heated up, he would breath out "attack" every time he moved. Then when he won, he opened up a bag and gave his opponent and everyone watching a candy. Apparently he had been doing this for like the last 12 hours.

Quote:
yeay. here's my most recent game
As an exercise, I'll annotate that and maybe we'll get some discussion. Not until later today though.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 6:27pm   #7
killcrazy
Apex Predator

Quote:
Their forums have a LOT of noise. There are good players and smart people there, but I rarely venture into those waters.
all forums do. more respect shown in chess than in poker though. fewer gobshites stating their opinions as fact and arguing with players who can crush them. in chess, when a stronger player corrects your analysis, you thank him.

Quote:
I'm not so sure about that. They have people on there rated like 2900 who are probably average IMs. It is definitely inflated though.
well, there are probably some 2900s floating around who aren't much better than me, they just take an age over their moves. which is the other thing that screws up the ratings, there really is no time control. a 1600 averaging an hour per move is going to beat a 2000 playing instinctively most of the time.

Quote:
Good to know. I actually still have my Chess Canada membership card from when I was like 10, but I haven't played rated games since then.
When I was a kid I played a few local tournaments. They weren't 4 hour games though, I think they were just game 60 which I don't have trouble with, but for sure it would be a big adjustment.
eurgh G/60. not quite standard, not quite rapidplay. less than 30 or more than 90 imo.

you ever get rated? i can't remember how the canadian rating system works, think i would have been a CM at my best. US expert, and possibly a russian first catagory player. we don't fuck about with any of that silliness in scotland.

Quote:
Side note: I found some old men playing chess in a library on Monday night and had a couple games with them. Didn't get to play the Russian one named Yuri though. He was a very popular opponent. He only knew a few words in English, but he used them cheerfully almost as mantras during the game. During the opening he would quietly repeat "good position" in a singsong voice and when the game heated up, he would breath out "attack" every time he moved. Then when he won, he opened up a bag and gave his opponent and everyone watching a candy. Apparently he had been doing this for like the last 12 hours.
he probably wasn't russian. i sometimes pretend to be russian when i'm playing people who don't know me. i pretended to be an IM once, when i was playing my first season in edinburgh and didn't have a scottish grade; scribbled IM (my name) on my score sheet and put 2403fide down as my grade, he copied it and looked terrified for the first hour or so.

rarely find people playing chess in random places here when i played for the university we used to keep some boards at a local pub and play there for a couple of hours after the union closed. pub chess is fun, and you occasionally get drunken idiots suggesting moves.

or hot goth girls. that only happened once though.

Quote:
As an exercise, I'll annotate that and maybe we'll get some discussion. Not until later today though.
please. i anotated it already so we can compare notes

Kc
Old Mar 26, 2010, 7:00pm   #8
the_fox31
Resident Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by killcrazy View Post

please. i anotated it already so we can compare notes

Kc
OK, here's the first half. I'll need to start calculating deeply from this point on to say anything useful, but maybe this will be a good start. I've never tried to annotate a game for anyone other than myself so this was interesting (and time consuming!)
Quote:
time control is 34 moves in 85mins + game/20mins,
What the hell?
1. e4 c5 Sicilian. Preparation is often more important than outright skill since so many lines are sharp and difficult to figure out over the board. It’s intimidating and is inviting a theoretical battle.
2. Nc3 Nc6 White immediately baulks and plays something hoping to transpose into less theoretical lines. Black plays a flexible move that would likely be played in a lot of systems.
3. g3 g6 Hypermodern ideas that seem to apply more logically to black’s setup than whites. White already has a clear line of development for his light bishop, and if the centre locks, he could end up with a bad bishop stuck behind pawns. Black, on the other hand, will have a very useful bishop on g7 influencing e5 and d4.
4. Bg2 Bg7Completing their ideas without being sidetracked.
5. d3 Since d4 is firmly under black’s control for the time being, white must be content with the single square advance. Allows the dark bishop freedom, at the cost of pinning the knight to c3 when the bishop takes advantage of the open diagonal
d6Black continues to play solid, flexible moves. Developing efficiently and not directly engaging white’s centre.
6. Be3 Finally contesting some of the dark central squares.
…Rb8 This is the sort of move I wouldn’t look for. I would instinctively play Nf6 and prepare to castle. Nf6 isn’t as flexible though. The rook will probably come to b8 anyways, but knowing that kc favours the dutch, f5 would be a tempting move and Nf6 obviously prevents this. Rb8 prepares for immediate queenside expansion with b5 whenever desired. It also removes any threats of tactics involving the discovery e5.
7. Qd2 My first thought was that white is looking to trade off black’s bishop, greatly weakening the king side and then taking advantage of the dark square holes around that area, or having a more even contest in the centre. This seems like a good plan in the abstract, but it is not an option while black keeps his knight on g8 (another reason why black’s flexible 6th move was superior to mindless development). d2 is a fine square for the queen regardless. Castling long would be a wild decision considering black’s ambitions on the queenside.
…b5 Black wastes no time and throws the pawn forward. Black’s pieces are coming alive, mostly bearing down on the queenside. White looks a little cramped with the blocked in light bishop, but the disadvantage is slight. Black’s threat is …b4, kicking the knight which is partially pinned to the b2 pawn and the rook on a1. Nd1 would hold things together but already black would have a large space advantage and a clear plan forward.
8. f4 (80) These moves have been played in 5 minutes, apparently. Is this a book line I’m unfamiliar with? Regardless, white choses to ignore the queenside contest to push forward with his own plan of taking space on the kingside, following a principle of chess, where you find counterplay in another area of the board. g4 has become a very inviting hole as a price for this push. The longterm plan appears to be a pawn storm to greet the black king when he castles. The knight has remained on g2 to allow this development, but it will surely be looking for an opportunity to support the attack. Both players are playing aggressively and confidently.
b4 (80) Black likewise continues with his plan, which appears to be at least a move ahead of white’s. White only one reply, Nd1. Na4 fails quickly to Qa5 and the knight is lost since b3 hangs the rook. Black can try to force the opening of the b file by means of …a5, Be6 and …a4.
9. Nd1 Any other move loses material. From here, Rb1 and a possible b3 could slow black’s queenside play while the knight could swing over to f2.
…Nd4 White no longer has the option of busting open black’s kingside with f5 since that drops a pawn. 10. Bxd4 cd and a subsequent …e4, fe de would hand black a very strong centre, the bishop pair (with white having the so called bad bishop), completely ruin white’s kingside play and gain a wide open queenside. More simply it could be met with 10…Bxd4 forcing 11.c3 bc 12. bc and then retreating the bishop ending with control over the open b file and. Ne2 would divert white from his plan and hand black the initiative if he doesn’t already have it. That leaves:
10. c3 The knight has to be dealt with somehow and the other options don’t work.
…bxc3 There is no other reasonable alternative.
11. bxc3 (74) Nxb3 and Qxb3 does not remove the offending knight and divert white’s pieces to the queenside when he wants to play on the kingside. The drawback is that black has gained what he looked for in controlling the open b file for invasion by rook and queen.
…Nb5 (72) On first glance, Nc6 looks more natural. It can’t be chased by a4 and it won’t block the b file for the rook on b8. The only thing the knight gains by being on b5 is access to a3, which prevents white from also placing a rook on the b file. If a4 is played, the knight must retreat to c7 blocking in the queen and passing the initiative back to white. From there, it will be difficult to bring the knight back into play as long as the c3 pawn continues to control b4 and white keeps his pawn on d4.
12. Rb1 (67) Trying to take advantage of black’s last move by pinning the knight and contesting control of the b file. Now c4 and a4 are threats.
…Bd7 (67) Calmly dealing with the threat and developing a bishop. Black has the option of forcing trades by …Na3. It occurs to me now that the reason for playing Nb5 instead of Nc6 might be to keep whites knight on d1 tethered to the defence of the c3 pawn, critical in limiting black’s piece activity and maintaining control of the d4 square. a4 can no longer put a stop to this though since it is en prix to the light squared bishop on d7. c4 of course defeats the purpose.
13. Ne2 Adding an extra defender to the c3 point, developing a piece, clearing the way for a kingside castle which will provide support for the f pawn advance and get the king out of the centre before it explodes. Nf3 looks more active, but it will be blocking the rook and doesn’t allow the d1 knight to get into the game.
…e6 Perhaps anticipating an impending f5 push. This will allow black to keep his kingside relatively intact and provide a refuge for his king. It also allows the king’s knight to develop. 13…Nf6? would lead to 14.e5 de 15. fe Ng8 (…Ng4 16.h3 Nh6 17. Bxh6 Bxh6 18. Qxh6 just drops a knight with no compensation at all) 16. Bf4 and black is in trouble. Black is right to maintain tension on the b3 point and shun a3 for now.
14. O-O Puts the rook behind the attacking pawns, though it’s unclear if perhaps the rook will belong on the h file after all. At any rate, white can feel more confident in creating central breaks now that his king is slightly more tucked away.
…Ne7 As discussed above, …Nf6 would have been a blunder. This move further dissuades white from playing f5, which seems to be white’s only immediate plan. The kingside castle is prepared in case white tries anything in the centre before the king can escape.
15. d4 (57) Castling often foreshadows central play. Here, white attempts to resolve the issue of his b3 pawn, and get his plans moving before black can find a way to make progress on the queenside.
…cxd4 (60) To not exchange drops a pawn.
16. cxd4 Nxd4 is playable because the tactic 16…Nxd4 discovery on the rook is met easily by 17. Rxb8 Qxb8 and then white has his choice of recapturing methods, likely cxd4 anyways. 16.cxd4 has the advantage of keeping 2 pawn islands instead of 3, not having an isolated pawn on the open c file and maintaining a formidable centre with pawns on f4, e4 and d4.
…O-O White has built a very strong centre, and if he chooses to advance it, black would not want an uncastled king.
17. Nf2 Freed from the burden of guarding b3, white reroutes his knight to the kingside to support his designs over there, leaving black to play on the vacant queenside if he wishes.
…Na3 The d4 pawn is unassailable anyways, bolstered as it is by 3 white pieces. It is also blocking whites dark bishop from coming to d4 and threatening to exchange off black’s dark bishop, which is very undesirable. After the inevitable exchange of rooks, black will be threatening to play Nc4 forcing the exchange of knight for dark squared bishop which will greatly assist in the defence of his kingside in the event white gets anything going over there.
18. Rxb8 The simplest reply to resolve any tension on the queenside.18. Rc8 also looks playable.
…Qxb8 Obviously.
19. Qc3 (40) White must still prevent Nc4. 19. Qc1 needlessly retreats the queen to a less involved square on a file open to harassment by a black rook. 19.Qd3 allows black annoying moves like 19…Bb5 20.Qxa3 Bxe2 21.Re1 Bc4 and black has an excellent bishop on c4 which is causing trouble for the white rook which wants to support the f pawn push but now can’t. Also, the queen will be stuck baby sitting the a2 pawn. This would hand black the initiative.
…Nb5 (44) No other option.
20. Qd3 Well centralized and available to keep an eye on the b5 knight.
…Qd8 (35) Black uses up almost a quarter of his clock trying to find a move. And indeed it is not easy. There is really nothing to play for on the queenside anymore. The centre and the kingside is where the action will be, so shifting his pieces in that direction makes sense. White’s kingside play is not coming so quickly, however. Black has a very solid and flexible structure and white will have to smash every pawn he has against black to generate real complications.
21. a4 White has an interesting try available to him: he can give up his central dominance in exchange for an outside passed pawn by …Nc7 22. Qa3 Bc6 23. d5 ed 24. ed Nc7xd5 25. Bxa7. Without this line, I don’t like this move. Black’s knight on b5 is not doing anything useful as it is. This simply gives black an easy target. White should be working to advance his plans on the kingside and the centre, not giving black counterplay on the queenside.
…Nc7 Possibly a better square anyways.
22. Qa3 (32) Not even a substantial threat. Perhaps hoping black will make a mistake by playing d5. The white queen is now stuck guarding white’s a pawn. Hardly the best use of her majesty.
…Bc6 (31) 22…d5?! would be a mistake as it allows white to lock black down with 23.e5, and ugly situation for black to be in. However, because of the line discussed above, I think Be8 might be better since it will not give black the temp he needs to win the a pawn by chasing the bishop on c6. This move might be giving up too more space to white than preventing white from obtaining an outside passed pawn is worth though. I’m not sure what the correct evaluation of this is.
23. Bd2?! White misses a good try and instead looks to be shifting his pieces to the queenside.
…d5 preventing the line discussed above, but accepting white’s option of playing e5 and greatly constricting black’s game.
24. Bb4 Putting his bishop on a useful diagonal with tempo but giving up designs on the kingside for now, it seems.
…Re8 Forced
25. Rc1 White apparently decided back on move 21 that he had nothing to do with all of his strength on the kingside and centre, and has generated very rapid play on the queenside. The game has become much more interesting. Black now has some material to work with. I think it would have been better for white to try to slowly increase pressure on the kingside and let black run his clock down trying to find a productive plan on his own.
…Bb7Clearing the square for the e7 night to hop to, which will snap off white’s queen-bishop battery. Black’s pieces are starting to unwind.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 9:19pm   #9
killcrazy
Apex Predator

Quote:
What the hell?
pretty standard time control. 34/85 is 2.5 minutes per move. 20 minute quickplay finish means the games last at most 3.5hours, we start at 7-30 and are done at 11 when venues start wanting to close.

Quote:
…Nd4 White no longer has the option of busting open black’s kingside with f5 since that drops a pawn. 10. Bxd4 cd and a subsequent …e4, fe de would hand black a very strong centre, the bishop pair (with white having the so called bad bishop), completely ruin white’s kingside play and gain a wide open queenside. More simply it could be met with 10…Bxd4 forcing 11.c3 bc 12. bc and then retreating the bishop ending with control over the open b file and. Ne2 would divert white from his plan and hand black the initiative if he doesn’t already have it. That leaves:
this is where i deviate from prepared lines. i had seen a few games of my opponent playing vs a sicilian, one was a mainline, one was a 2.d4 cd 3.c3 gambit and the other was this. 1.e4 c5 2.Nc3 is the closed sicilian, it's a wet attempt to avoid having to play sicilian mainlines and make the game as boring as possible. psychologically, that's reasonable, by and large sicilian players don't want to shuffle wood, but it does seem that black equalises very easily at club level just by playing standard contest the centre develop pieces moves.

so, Nd4 is inaccurate, i should play e6 and develop a little before kicking off. Nd4 is the correct follow up to Nd1 in some other lines, but i've never actually played this Rb8 b5 b4 idea against the closed sicilian before, and i didn't have time to memorise all the lines before my game.

you're basically correct about why he can't play Bxd4, i get a strong centre and the bishop pair. his g2 bishop can come to h3 and play though, so it's not really bad, and the bishop pair is less useful on a closed board, so it's not that big an advantage yet.

Quote:
10. c3 The knight has to be dealt with somehow and the other options don’t work.
…bxc3 There is no other reasonable alternative.
11. bxc3 (74) Nxb3 and Qxb3 does not remove the offending knight and divert white’s pieces to the queenside when he wants to play on the kingside. The drawback is that black has gained what he looked for in controlling the open b file for invasion by rook and queen.
11.Nxc3 doesn't shift the knight, 11.Qxc3 drops material to Nf3+ discovered attack from the bishop.

Quote:
…Nb5 (72)
Quote:
On first glance, Nc6 looks more natural. It can’t be chased by a4 and it won’t block the b file for the rook on b8. The only thing the knight gains by being on b5 is access to a3, which prevents white from also placing a rook on the b file. If a4 is played, the knight must retreat to c7 blocking in the queen and passing the initiative back to white. From there, it will be difficult to bring the knight back into play as long as the c3 pawn continues to control b4 and white keeps his pawn on d4.
yeah Nc6 is probably better, but I was looking to stay aggressive on the queenside. pressure on c6, Qa5 follows. if he plays c4, fine, i get a huge outpost on d4. if he plays 12.a4 I have to recycle the knight, but i'm happy with the a pawn coming forward, it gets harder to defend.

Quote:
12. Rb1 (67) Trying to take advantage of black’s last move by pinning the knight and contesting control of the b file. Now c4 and a4 are threats.
…Bd7 (67) Calmly dealing with the threat and developing a bishop. Black has the option of forcing trades by …Na3. It occurs to me now that the reason for playing Nb5 instead of Nc6 might be to keep whites knight on d1 tethered to the defence of the c3 pawn, critical in limiting black’s piece activity and maintaining control of the d4 square. a4 can no longer put a stop to this though since it is en prix to the light squared bishop on d7. c4 of course defeats the purpose.
en prise ;)

i thought about Ba6 instead, both moves are fine, but my plan through most of this game was win the a pawn. one pawn without compensation is almost always a win in games at my level. Bd7 seems more flexible and does more for the win the a pawn plan.

Quote:
13. Ne2 Adding an extra defender to the c3 point, developing a piece, clearing the way for a kingside castle which will provide support for the f pawn advance and get the king out of the centre before it explodes. Nf3 looks more active, but it will be blocking the rook and doesn’t allow the d1 knight to get into the game.
yeah Nf3 gets in the way, Ne2 does everything Nf3 does, but is also closer to the queenside where this game is going to be played.

Quote:
…e6 Perhaps anticipating an impending f5 push. This will allow black to keep his kingside relatively intact and provide a refuge for his king. It also allows the king’s knight to develop. 13…Nf6? would lead to 14.e5 de 15. fe Ng8 (…Ng4 16.h3 Nh6 17. Bxh6 Bxh6 18. Qxh6 just drops a knight with no compensation at all) 16. Bf4 and black is in trouble. Black is right to maintain tension on the b3 point and shun a3 for now.
Nf6 is probably better, but it feels like it's getting in the way of my ideas and i can't see far enough ahead to see those "aha, in 9 moves time i can play this, reveal the bishop with threat on c6 and attack the bishop with the moving knight!" ideas. e6 does make it harder for him to come forward in the centre (but i need to keep an eye on that c5 pawn, its en prise if i have to move the d6 pawn).

your bracketed analysis misses 16...Nxe5 which is very happy for black, bishop can come to f5 with pressure on d3, white might not be able to recapture the pawn, or do so without dropping another pawn. best continuation i've found is Nf4, when black can just play Rc8 and he's a pawn up, without really giving much away in compensation.

Quote:
14. O-O Puts the rook behind the attacking pawns, though it’s unclear if perhaps the rook will belong on the h file after all. At any rate, white can feel more confident in creating central breaks now that his king is slightly more tucked away.

…Ne7 As discussed above, …Nf6 would have been a blunder. This move further dissuades white from playing f5, which seems to be white’s only immediate plan. The kingside castle is prepared in case white tries anything in the centre before the king can escape.
white's logical break here is e5, not f5. f5 square belongs to black.

i'm not really concerned about my king's safety here, but i need my rooks connected to free my queen. i favoured Ne7 over Nf6 to keep the bishop open.

Quote:
15. d4 (57)
Quote:
Castling often foreshadows central play. Here, white attempts to resolve the issue of his b3 pawn, and get his plans moving before black can find a way to make progress on the queenside.
d4 is baaad. e5 is so much better.

Quote:
…cxd4 (60)
Quote:
To not exchange drops a pawn.
i fucked this up horribly. my first instinct is Nxd4, but i miscalculated. the idea behind the tactic is simple; Nxd4 reveals an attack on white's undefended rook, however should white play Rxb8, black has Nxd2 with check, white recaptures the knight and black recaptures the rook, black finishes the exchange up a pawn. however, 15...Nxd4 16.Bxd4 Bxd4+ 17.Qxd4 with the threat of Qxh8+ wins for white. or would, if black couldn't simply play cxd4 picking up the queen, which i somehow overlooked. at least i think that's where i went wrong, it's much clearer now that i'm at home.

Quote:
16. cxd4
Quote:
Nxd4 is playable because the tactic 16…Nxd4 discovery on the rook is met easily by 17. Rxb8 Qxb8 and then white has his choice of recapturing methods, likely cxd4 anyways. 16.cxd4 has the advantage of keeping 2 pawn islands instead of 3, not having an isolated pawn on the open c file and maintaining a formidable centre with pawns on f4, e4 and d4.
Nxd4 is fine, but he has the space edge so he won't trade unnecessarilly.

Quote:
…O-O
Quote:
White has built a very strong centre, and if he chooses to advance it, black would not want an uncastled king.
highly unlikely i wouldnt have time to castle once his attack started, i want my rooks connected

i'm very blase about castling, i often leave it as late as possible, i'd rather have that tempo to fight with.

Quote:
17. Nf2
Quote:
Freed from the burden of guarding b3, white reroutes his knight to the kingside to support his designs over there, leaving black to play on the vacant queenside if he wishes.
mmm, he's connecting his rooks (he's going to play Rfc1 very soon if i let him) and the f2 knight can come to d3 at a convenient moment. white has absolutely no kingside designs right now, he's playing in the centre, like you're supposed to.

Quote:
…Na3
Quote:
The d4 pawn is unassailable anyways, bolstered as it is by 3 white pieces. It is also blocking whites dark bishop from coming to d4 and threatening to exchange off black’s dark bishop, which is very undesirable. After the inevitable exchange of rooks, black will be threatening to play Nc4 forcing the exchange of knight for dark squared bishop which will greatly assist in the defence of his kingside in the event white gets anything going over there.
yeah, i'm just forcing material off the board here.

Quote:
18. Rxb8
Quote:
The simplest reply to resolve any tension on the queenside.18. Rc8 also looks playable.
…Qxb8 Obviously.
19. Qc3 (40) White must still prevent Nc4. 19. Qc1 needlessly retreats the queen to a less involved square on a file open to harassment by a black rook. 19.Qd3 allows black annoying moves like 19…Bb5 20.Qxa3 Bxe2 21.Re1 Bc4 and black has an excellent bishop on c4 which is causing trouble for the white rook which wants to support the f pawn push but now can’t. Also, the queen will be stuck baby sitting the a2 pawn. This would hand black the initiative.
…Nb5 (44) No other option.
the main point in favour of Qc3 is that it prevents me playing Qb4. There is an alternative to 19...Nb5; Bb5, trading the a3 knight for the e2 knight. This may have been better. pros and cons, i made a judgement call.

Quote:
20. Qd3
Quote:
Well centralized and available to keep an eye on the b5 knight.
…Qd8 (35) Black uses up almost a quarter of his clock trying to find a move. And indeed it is not easy. There is really nothing to play for on the queenside anymore. The centre and the kingside is where the action will be, so shifting his pieces in that direction makes sense. White’s kingside play is not coming so quickly, however. Black has a very solid and flexible structure and white will have to smash every pawn he has against black to generate real complications.
i did use up a lot of time here, but it was mostly thinking about what is going to happen in 3 or 4 moves time if i play Qd8, do i need to play Nc7, and all the crap that can happen after that. i like to take my time and think things through properly, and then play a bunch of moves quickly (because i'm playing through things i've already thought about). spending 9 minutes on one move than 20 seconds on the next 3 is better than spending 2.5 minutes on each individual move.

Quote:
21. a4 White has an interesting try available to him: he can give up his central dominance in exchange for an outside passed pawn by …Nc7 22. Qa3 Bc6 23. d5 ed 24. ed Nc7xd5 25. Bxa7.
24...Bxd5 25.Bxd5 (25.Bxa7 Bxg2 26.Kxg2 Qa8 0-1) Qa8 and the bishop has nowhere to run, and nothing can defend it. 0-1.

Quote:
Without this line, I don’t like this move. Black’s knight on b5 is not doing anything useful as it is. This simply gives black an easy target. White should be working to advance his plans on the kingside and the centre, not giving black counterplay on the queenside.
a4 kicks the knight back to c7 where it gets in the way of black's queen

Quote:
…Nc7 Possibly a better square anyways.
22. Qa3 (32) Not even a substantial threat. Perhaps hoping black will make a mistake by playing d5. The white queen is now stuck guarding white’s a pawn. Hardly the best use of her majesty.
battery coming.

Quote:
…Bc6 (31) 22…d5?! would be a mistake as it allows white to lock black down with 23.e5, and ugly situation for black to be in. However, because of the line discussed above, I think Be8 might be better since it will not give black the temp he needs to win the a pawn by chasing the bishop on c6. This move might be giving up too more space to white than preventing white from obtaining an outside passed pawn is worth though. I’m not sure what the correct evaluation of this is.
Be8 is really ugly. on e8 the bishop is useless, on c6 it's at least doing something. plus i want that square for my rook so i can play Bf8, because i know what's coming

Quote:
23. Bd2?! White misses a good try and instead looks to be shifting his pieces to the queenside.
Bd2/Rc1 both fine here.

Quote:
…d5
Quote:
preventing the line discussed above, but accepting white’s option of playing e5 and greatly constricting black’s game.
d5 deserves a question mark, here is my original annotation:

"looking for an exchange and piece mobility, or if white refuses trades will be instigated on the a3 f8 diagonal once black has played Bf8. d5 is a bad move if black is trying to defend, but black is hoping to find ways tocounterattack rather than simply batton down the hatches and hoping white never shakes anything loose."

there's a lot of fighting for the initiative in this game, defending threats with threats, countering ideas with ideas. nobody ever really says "okay i have to defend now".

Quote:
24. Bb4
Quote:
Putting his bishop on a useful diagonal with tempo but giving up designs on the kingside for now, it seems.
…Re8 Forced
25. Rc1 White apparently decided back on move 21 that he had nothing to do with all of his strength on the kingside and centre, and has generated very rapid play on the queenside. The game has become much more interesting.
i don't think he was ever playing on the kingside. centre yes, and he still is, he just happens to be attacking with long range pieces from the wing.

Quote:
Black now has some material to work with. I think it would have been better for white to try to slowly increase pressure on the kingside and let black run his clock down trying to find a productive plan on his own.
if white tries on the kingside, black would have got there on the queenside. win the pawn and then defend, white would have to win with his attack or lose the endgame. white's play has been solid, improve his position move by move, play in the centre, for black back, s'fine.

Quote:
…Bb7Clearing the square for the e7 night to hop to, which will snap off white’s queen-bishop battery. Black’s pieces are starting to unwind.
actually no, Bb7 or Ba8 or 1-0. black can't defend with Qd7 because his queen is overloaded. 26.Bxe7 Rxe7 27.Rxc6 Qxc6 28.Qxe7 1-0

aw ran out.

if anything in that doesnt make sense tell me and i'll correct it.

Kc
Old Mar 26, 2010, 9:44pm   #10
Jokeslayer
Wolfgame World Champion

Jokeslayer has much to be proud ofJokeslayer has much to be proud ofJokeslayer has much to be proud ofJokeslayer has much to be proud ofJokeslayer has much to be proud ofJokeslayer has much to be proud ofJokeslayer has much to be proud ofJokeslayer has much to be proud ofJokeslayer has much to be proud of

Quote:
Open challenge.

thefox31 on chess.com
I challenged you. Pretty sure you'll demolish me but might be fun anyway.
Jokeslayer est déconnecté   Reply With Quote