THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > Strategy > No-Limit Hold'em Ring Games

Old Nov 23, 2010, 7:05am   #1
Fredrik
Professional

Fredrik will become famous soon enoughFredrik will become famous soon enough
Default Top set against possible flush draw, deep.

I figured I should post a few hands instead of just whining about how everything sucks. Some of them will be fairly simple situations, where I don't expect much of a discussion. I think I need to discuss those situations too, since I don't fully understand why my (breakeven) results are so bad.

I'll start with a very pleasant situation:

Grabbed by Holdem Manager
NL Holdem $2(BB) Replayer
SB ($74)
BB ($382)
Hero ($343)
CO ($416)
BTN ($210)

Dealt to Hero

Hero raises to $6, fold, fold, fold, BB calls $4

FLOP ($13)

BB checks, Hero bets $10, BB raises to $32

As you can see, the stack depth is 171.5 bb and I have the nuts. The question is, do I slowplay, or reraise and hope to get it in right there on the flop. If I just call, should I just call again on a blank turn? And what if the turn is something really unpleasant, like Js. Call turn, fold river? Call both? Does the answer depend on his bet sizing? If you want to slowplay both the flop and a blank turn, then what do you do if the Js appears on the river. Do you call a river bet? Does it depend on the size of the bet?

No notes on the player. TAGish stats, with a high aggression factor (5.9) after only 126 hands.
Fredrik est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Nov 23, 2010, 7:23am   #2
DirtySanchez80
Professional

DirtySanchez80 has a reputation beyond reputeDirtySanchez80 has a reputation beyond reputeDirtySanchez80 has a reputation beyond reputeDirtySanchez80 has a reputation beyond reputeDirtySanchez80 has a reputation beyond reputeDirtySanchez80 has a reputation beyond reputeDirtySanchez80 has a reputation beyond reputeDirtySanchez80 has a reputation beyond reputeDirtySanchez80 has a reputation beyond reputeDirtySanchez80 has a reputation beyond reputeDirtySanchez80 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to DirtySanchez80

i ilke to see how much he is calling in the Big

as played: i would 3bet smallish on this Flop.. in ssnl i think it's more important to get as much money in vs his good hands and Draws. More important than trying to let him bluff imo.. cause i dont think he will follow through with bluffs when u call the Flop. (with 100bb i'd call more often cause it's easier to get stacks in later)

If u call your hand is pretty well defined as Ax that wants to bluffcatch.. maybe a weak FD as well. If you think that this guy is just monsteraggro postflop and will bluff no matter what than call of course.

But in this spot i would hate life if a spade or Q / J shows up and kills a good part of your action.

..fwiw i would 3bet this Flop also with some bluffs like KQ with one spade (if i see that he raises cbets a lot)

..at higher stakes vs more aggressive opp and better handreaders i think u have to calldown more often just to protect your bluffcatchers like AX etc.

Last edited by DirtySanchez80; Nov 23, 2010 at 7:34am.
DirtySanchez80 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2010, 12:23pm   #3
podbelski
Doyle Look-alike

podbelski is just really nicepodbelski is just really nicepodbelski is just really nicepodbelski is just really nicepodbelski is just really nice

Quote:
If u call your hand is pretty well defined as Ax
this was my first thought. I like everything DirtySanchez explained, so yeah 3bet looks better
podbelski est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2010, 3:08pm   #4
Fredrik
Professional

If calling defines my hand as Ax, or a flush draw, isn't that an argument for slowplaying? It seems to be a reason for him to fire 3 barrels with his flush draws. (How often do we call three barrels with a bluff catcher?)
Old Nov 23, 2010, 3:59pm   #5
podbelski
Doyle Look-alike

podbelski is just really nicepodbelski is just really nicepodbelski is just really nicepodbelski is just really nicepodbelski is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post
It seems to be a reason for him to fire 3 barrels with his flush draws.
I guess the answer is already in the thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySanchez80 View Post
If you think that this guy is just monsteraggro postflop and will bluff no matter what than call of course.
Slowplay it, if you think the villain will happily barrel you from TPTK on a flushdraw board, and you do not afraid the board runs awful, like 4-flush/4-straight, so he shutdowns with his set and you don't get his deep stack
Old Nov 23, 2010, 4:01pm   #6
podbelski
Doyle Look-alike

And I don't think this is a hand that you can misplay badly (on the flop) and become a breakeven player instead of a healthy winner
Old Nov 23, 2010, 9:03pm   #7
Fredrik
Professional

I didn't have a good read on this player. Anyway, the results: I 3-bet to 80 and my opponent folded.