German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > Strategy > No-Limit Hold'em Ring Games

Old Nov 25, 2010, 10:09am   #11
Fredrik
Professional

Fredrik will become famous soon enoughFredrik will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyjoejoejr View Post
If you raise fold the turn a lot that seems like it could potenially be a pretty big leak.
Bigger than folding the turn? (Let's say we have ATs on a Txxx board, in the cutoff vs. utg+1). Bigger than raising the turn and calling a shove? Bigger than calling the turn and folding the river? Bigger than calling the turn and calling the river? Bigger than calling the turn and raising the river all-in? Every line I can take (yes, I know I didn't mention every one) is a leak if I use it every time against a thinking opponent. I do however think that raise-fold the turn is the hardest line to exploit, because the opponent will think he has to commit his entire stack to continue.

I should also mention that these situations don't come up very often, so it's hard for an opponent to get a read on how I play them. And if someone e.g. stops making that second continuation bet against me, or starts shoving to all my turn raises, I should (I hope) notice that pretty fast, and be able to adjust to that. It seems easier for me to adjust than for the opponent.
Fredrik est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Nov 25, 2010, 9:16pm   #12
podbelski
Doyle Look-alike

podbelski is just really nicepodbelski is just really nicepodbelski is just really nicepodbelski is just really nicepodbelski is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post
I like to raise the turn for protection with top pair hands, even when I can't call a 3-bet-shove. I also sometimes raise the turn with draws, so there's a lot in my turn raising range that can't handle a 3-bet.
Have you tried to filter this kind of situations in your tracker and see if you are leaking money or not?
podbelski est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 9:49pm   #13
Fredrik
Professional

Fredrik will become famous soon enoughFredrik will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by podbelski View Post
Have you tried to filter this kind of situations in your tracker and see if you are leaking money or not?
How would I see that? I can only see how much I've won in those situations, not how much I would have won if I had played them differently. Yes, I could filter for each one of the alternative lines as well, but I would need a sample of many millions of hands to get accurate stats on a specific line. Anyway, I just tried to filter for the last six months (190K hands), top pair on the flop and turn, where I raised the turn. There are at least two different ways to filter for it, and I don't understand the difference. One of the filters says I've won $792 in 21 hands. I only folded 2 of them and won all the others. The other filter says I'm up $608 in 53 hands. This includes a few hands where I lost a full stack or more.

I really don't think this is the type of situation where I might have a big leak.

Last edited by Fredrik; Nov 25, 2010 at 9:54pm.
Fredrik est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 10:26pm   #14
joeyjoejoejr
Professional

joeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud of

I not saying that raising for value/protection with top pair and the intention of folding to a 3bet is always bad (its kind of like say 3betting a AQ,AJ type a hand preflop for value but folding to a 4bet could be okay against a lot of players in some spots) but I think calling down is usually better.

Like you said its not going to be easy to determine this from a database and it would take millions of hand.

But I think against anyone that could 3 barrel bluff with some frequency potentially getting this from him is worth the risk of letting his 6-10 outer come in.

Obviously it is going to depend highly on a specific hand/player. In general though I don't like value raising the turn and then folding with 100BB stacks.
I think it might be a more useful part of your game if you are deeper.
joeyjoejoejr est déconnecté   Reply With Quote