THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Jun 30, 2011, 2:25am   #1
darryl
Still can't quit day job.

darryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud of
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!
Default Sensing weakness

Not sure if this should go here or in another forum. Since I play mainly live NLHE and PLO, I thought I'd post here since it should be a basic concept anyway.

I think one of my biggest leaks is sensing weakness and people sensing my weakness. I typically just try to play ABC poker, but I think it bites me in ass quite often.
I know I'm on a downswing and when I say "this happens all the time" it probably doesn't, but still it seems to happen more than it should or at least more than it being profitable. For example. If I get a hand such as AK or AQ or similar and I raise in mid position, get a caller and the flop comes up three rags. If the caller is after me and I lead out, I'll get raised. If the caller is before me and checks, I'll bet out and get check raised. Could there be some obvious things I'm doing to make me look weak? Should I be calling or reraising those raises from time to time even when I have 2 overs? Being that I'm playing low stakes live, I don't think there is a whole lot of meta game going on.

Another example, this one a bit more specific. I had Kings while last to act. I raised 5x and got a few callers. Flop comes J T rag. Villain 1 checks, Villain 2 bets about 3/4 the pot. 2 Folds to me, being that it's a donk bet and I think I still have the best hand, I call. (I suppose I could raise, but I thought I could be greedy and maybe get villain 1 to call and then I could jam a safe turn card) villain 1 pushes AI and is the big stack at the table. Donk bettor tanks a while and folds. So what do I do?
Villain 1 seems competent besides just being the big stack. He plays pretty lag, seems to be a thinking player. I tried getting him to talk, he wouldn't say anything one way or another. It's an excellent spot for him to steal. He has seen me play very few hands and probably assumes I'm tight. However, he would have to know that I would be capable of laying down a pretty strong hand and that I wouldn't just call the donk bet with nothing. So how do I know if he has the goods enough times to fold?

So, really I'm just whining about my perceived showing of when I'm weak, and not always being able to tell when the villain is weak.

-d
darryl est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Jun 30, 2011, 8:14am   #2
killcrazy
Apex Predator

killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

reading bitches is more art than science. you can learn a bunch of tells and look for them, but you rarely see anything quite so vulgar. it's more about gut instinct and feel than it is math and data.

like everything else, practise practise practise. next time you play pick a guy, ideally someone roughly opposite you and ideally a reg, and watch him until you figure him out. then start on someone new.

also, i don't think playing ABC poker is a bad thing in this kind of game. you probably don't need to be doing anything creative to get paid here, if anything it would likely be counterproductive.

Kc