THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Feb 12, 2012, 6:37pm   #1
darryl
Still can't quit day job.

darryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud of
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!
Default flop bottom set UTG

This was a live $2-5 game. I was under the gun, villain was late position.
I was at the table about 3 hours and this was my second pocket pair. I had been pretty card dead most of the session. Let's say for this hand we are both sitting on $600 each.

I'm dealt 33, I raise to $15. I could have raised more, but was set mining and just wanted to juice the pot. I get 5 callers for $75 in the pot.
Flop comes Q83 giving me a set of 3's.

I lead out for $45 folds to the villain who calls. For about $165 in the pot.
Turn is a rag to make a 2 flush board. I bet $100 villain calls. Now $365 in the pot or so and we both have $460 left or so behind.
Villain is pretty loose, loves to sense weakness and exploit.
River is J making a straight and a flush possible on the board (although if villain was drawing, it would be a gutshot or runner runner for the flush).

So my turn to act, do I 3 barrel, if so how much, if he raises, then what? Do I let him bet knowing he would probably sense weakness and probably throw out a river bet then I call a reasonable bet? My read on him was that he had more than a bluff, probably more than a pair. Am I just losing value by checking here, or is it a situation where I'm probably only getting called by a better hand? Does that make me nitty, etc.?

-d
darryl est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Feb 12, 2012, 7:06pm   #2
Ozone
The One Who Knocks

Ozone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ozone

Check-call seems nice against a villain prone to bluffing. Against someone more straight-forward, I like a bet-fold more.

"How do I become more pro? I gotta learn math?" - fuedallord
Ozone est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2012, 9:07pm   #3
killcrazy
Apex Predator

killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

shove.

Kc
Old Feb 13, 2012, 3:34am   #4
darryl
Still can't quit day job.

darryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by killcrazy View Post
shove.

Kc
Would you care to explain your reasoning?

-d
darryl est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2012, 3:44am   #5
joeyjoejoejr
Professional

joeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud of

I bet 65$ on flop

160$ on turn

and all in river.

For the most part any live 2/5 player with a queen is going to call the flop regardless of your sizing so I would bet almost pot on flop.

Is it unlilkely that you will play enough with villain live that he will pick up that you only cbet large multiway with the nuts. If you play with him all the time ie reg vs reg online your sizing is fine. But live you probably will not play enough hands with him to notice or he wont be observant enough to notice your cbet sizing in multiway pots anyways
joeyjoejoejr est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2012, 4:30am   #6
killcrazy
Apex Predator

killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by killcrazy View Post
shove.

Kc
Would you care to explain your reasoning?

-d
in no particular order:

if you shove, it can look like an optimistic hey-i-can-bluff-that-card bluff.

if he has a queen, he should check behind.

he doesn't have a flush or a straight very often. most of his range is QX.

and you aren't checkfolding here, so the question is how do you get as much of his range putting money in as possible, and you do that by shoving. ime.

also yes, bet bigger, an extra $10 on the flop makes your natural turn bet $15 bigger which makes your natural river bet $50 bigger. i'd be surprised if 45 into 75 wasn't considered a small bet in the game.

Kc
Old Feb 13, 2012, 5:08am   #7
joeyjoejoejr
Professional

joeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud of

By the way.... the suits of the cards matter

If it came

or

I would be much more worried about a backdoor flush in the second run out than the first. (though I probably still just jam either way)
joeyjoejoejr est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2012, 11:39am   #8
spalding25
4 betting KT for value

spalding25 has a reputation beyond reputespalding25 has a reputation beyond reputespalding25 has a reputation beyond reputespalding25 has a reputation beyond reputespalding25 has a reputation beyond reputespalding25 has a reputation beyond reputespalding25 has a reputation beyond reputespalding25 has a reputation beyond reputespalding25 has a reputation beyond reputespalding25 has a reputation beyond reputespalding25 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
Now $365 in the pot or so and we both have $460 left or so behind.
this is where you went wrong. you lose more on average sizing your bets like this than whatever the difference between c/c and shove is going to be. you look strong cbetting in a 6 way pot anyway. noone is peeling 99 on the flop
spalding25 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2012, 6:11pm   #9
Ozone
The One Who Knocks

Ozone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ozone

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyjoejoejr View Post

If it came

or

I would be much more worried about a backdoor flush in the second run out than the first. (though I probably still just jam either way)
Logic being that he could have something like QcTc?

"How do I become more pro? I gotta learn math?" - fuedallord
Ozone est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2012, 6:27pm   #10
killcrazy
Apex Predator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozone View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyjoejoejr View Post

If it came

or

Logic being that he could have something like QcTc?
what else would it be?

but i assumed that darryl would have recognised this and mentioned it, so paid it no mind. QXc is a pretty small fraction of QXs in any case.

Kc