THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > General Discussion > The Rail

Old Mar 25, 2010, 3:46am   #41
darryl
Still can't quit day job.

darryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud of
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

I used to get excruciating migraines a few minutes after running a 400 M sprint. I had to stop running them. I can run (not sprint) pretty much any distance I'm capable of and not get them.

I don't know the cause or anything, but no matter what I did, I couldn't stop them and I was worried I'd cause some brain embolism or something, so I stopped running them.

-d
darryl est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Mar 28, 2010, 8:32pm   #42
Mr Beaks
Don't got it going on

Mr Beaks is just really niceMr Beaks is just really niceMr Beaks is just really niceMr Beaks is just really nice
Default Did It!

Sorry I haven't checked back in here for a week or two - I didn't want to bang on about it too much and bore the ass off everyone

Anyway, the race was this morning and I finished the whole thing in 2:20. I was aiming for 2:10 but my main objectives were to a) finish and b) run the whole race without stopping and walking at any point. I managed both of those so I'm pretty pleased!

The last 2 miles was very hard work but I kept pegging away at it. Best thing about the day was my 5 year old son telling me he was proud of me and then the 4 pints of Black Sheep I drank in the pub afterwards.

As for my motivation for running: I ran for the hospice where my father-in-law spent his last week before he died of lung cancer. The story, and my fundraising effort, is here:

http://www.justgiving.com/Andrew-Dowd

Including Gift Aid and an extra £100 to come from my company I'm up to about £1420, which is a pretty good score.

I want to thank everyone in this thread for the great support, encouragement and advice you've given me. 3 months ago I couldn't run from A to B without throwing up so thanks for all the help. You've been great.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 10:00pm   #43
queenie5
whore

queenie5 is a jewel in the roughqueenie5 is a jewel in the roughqueenie5 is a jewel in the roughqueenie5 is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via ICQ to queenie5 Send a message via Yahoo to queenie5

YaY! Now comes the challenging part. Do it again. heh
Old Mar 28, 2010, 10:07pm   #44
killcrazy
Apex Predator

killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenie5 View Post
YaY! Now comes the challenging part. Do it again. heh
i hate it when women say that.

Kc
Old Mar 30, 2010, 12:59am   #45
Hustlr
║▌║█║▌║▌││║▌║

Hustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via ICQ to Hustlr Send a message via AIM to Hustlr

Nice job man. Impressive accomplishment.
Hustlr est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2010, 1:44am   #46
MikkeD
Poker Hobo

MikkeD is a jewel in the roughMikkeD is a jewel in the roughMikkeD is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustlr View Post
Nice job man. Impressive accomplishment.
Wtg!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbJqswLi3uE

nm

I get a penny here and there - it's like a flock of doves left and each of them pooped 1c into my account.

What the medications can't do - let Floyd do the rest.

*sigh* Used to be a good site.

MikkeD est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2012, 5:59pm   #47
darryl
Still can't quit day job.

darryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud of

BUMP!

So I've decided to sign up for a half marathon May 5th and a full marathon June 16th and have been training for a couple of months on a treadmill. Got myself some good shoes from a running store. Other than a few small aches and blisters that don't seem to matter, I'm doing fine. I think my biggest obstacle is just mental. At the end of the run, i physically feel like I can go much further, it's just mentally I keep telling myself that this sucks.

Typically in a week I'll run 3-4 times usually 3-5 miles or so, then once a week I'll do a longer run at 15% slower or so (so far 8 miles is the most I've done).
Anyway, now that the weather is getting better and I only have about 6 weeks or so for the half, I plan on running outside. I did buy a heart monitor watch that tracks distance and speed, otherwise I would have no clue how to pace myself.
I’m not worried about the half marathon, I feel as though I could do that in a week or two if I had to. It’s the full marathon that’s got me worried. Do I have enough time for training assuming I plateau at a half marathon May 5th? Or should I be doing longer distances prior to that? I’m worried about running out of glycogen and hallucinating while the fat metabolism kicks in although I do plan on taking some gels. So far those haven’t been an issue, but I don’t think my distances are long enough to where I actually need them. I just want to make sure my body is used to them.
Really my goal is to 1. Not die. 2. Finish without major injuries 3. Get under 5 hours. 4. Not stop unless I absolutely have to (nature calls, or broken bone or whatnot)

-d

Last edited by darryl; Mar 21, 2012 at 9:49pm.
darryl est déconnecté   Reply With Quote