THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > General Discussion > Poker Stories

Old Jan 07, 2007, 11:28pm   #1
riccohb
Grinder

riccohb
Default Weird, how things turn out

I've just had a winning streak of 31 50NL sessions in a row. Not a lot of big wins in there, and there were a couple of losing donk sessions at 2-7 and micro SNGs to let off steam, but I made $450 profit in about (I think) 5 weeks, which more than doubled my bankroll.

After the first few sessions I told myself not to tell anyone. I'm a bit superstitious about things like that, even though I know that superstition is ridiculous. As the unbeaten run continued I made sure that I answered noncommittently to anyone asking how my poker was going. I even listed in my new year resolutions in another thread on here that I was going to stop telling people about winning streaks to avoid putting the mockers on them.

But today, after another win, I couldn't take it any more. I just had to tell someone, so I told my wife, hoping that it wouldn't count because she wouldn't be listening anyway. I even showed her my graph on Check Your Bets.

Ever supportive, she said, "Hmm. Those curtains could do with a clean."

Anyway. The very next session after speaking to her, it took me an hour to lose my $50 buy in.

How weird is that? Have the poker gods been watching me for a month, drumming their fingers and waiting for me to get smug? Was my ridiculous superstition so powerful at the back of my mind while I was playing that it changed how I played once I'd told someone? Was it just coincidence?

Anyway, it doesn't matter now, because the upswing is over and I can tell whoever I want without it affecting anything, so

I'VE JUST HAD A 31 GAME UNBEATEN RUN AND DOUBLED MY BANKROLL IN A MONTH!!

There. That's better.
riccohb est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Jan 07, 2007, 11:38pm   #2
DoubleU
Calling station #1

DoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond repute

You were playing 50NL with a 400 BR? Hmmm...well it did work out for you, nice job. Hope you can keep it up...

Quote:
When DoubleU says, "wtf, no" you should take heed.
- jimmytrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus View Post
youre thinking ship all the money to big daddy and are now thinking about how to receive that shipment
DoubleU est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 07, 2007, 11:55pm   #3
riccohb
Grinder

riccohb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleU View Post
You were playing 50NL with a 400 BR? Hmmm...well it did work out for you, nice job. Hope you can keep it up...
I know. Horribly under rolled. I play 50NL under rolled because...

1. I'm bonus whoring, and playing anything lower than that would take so long to earn bonuses that it wouldn't be worthwhile. It's taking long enough as it is (I don't generally have a lot of spare time to play). I never multitable.
2. I'm currently playing at BetFred, which I've found to be very soft and, upswing notwithstanding, not at all difficult to beat at that level.
3. It depends on your definition of bankroll. If I was a pro and I lost my bankroll I wouldn't be able to pay my mortgage or put food on the table. As someone who plays poker for a hobby, if I lost my bankroll I'd wait until payday and reload.
Old Jan 08, 2007, 12:25am   #4
BubbleBoy
BubbleBoy

BubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

awesome

I like to hear that. I am kinda the same in not telling everyone when i won 100$ a day. (my br is 'bout 500)
try to withstand the bad swing that coming, thats all i can say, cause obviously you know how to beat the game when u are running good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riccohb View Post
3. It depends on your definition of bankroll. If I was a pro and I lost my bankroll I wouldn't be able to pay my mortgage or put food on the table. As someone who plays poker for a hobby, if I lost my bankroll I'd wait until payday and reload.
well right and wrong.
1.if you would reload incase you bust, you at first didnt double your bankroll. I imagine you relaoding 500$ at least 2 times until you stop doing so. my estimate for your "real" bankroll is then like 1500$, and when winning 500$, thats far from doubling
2. y not move up to NL100 now
3. whats that site you are playing at?

BubbleBoy est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 08, 2007, 2:05am   #5
KTC
Grinder

KTC will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleBoy View Post
Betfred, it's a British bookmaker.
KTC est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 08, 2007, 9:52am   #6
riccohb
Grinder

riccohb

Quote:
try to withstand the bad swing that coming, thats all i can say, cause obviously you know how to beat the game when u are running good.
I'm bracing myself for the 10 buy in downswing. It's like seeing dark clouds gathering on the horizon.

Quote:
well right and wrong.
1.if you would reload incase you bust, you at first didnt double your bankroll. I imagine you relaoding 500$ at least 2 times until you stop doing so. my estimate for your "real" bankroll is then like 1500$, and when winning 500$, thats far from doubling
True, but my original statement was easier than writing "I've just had a 31 game unbeaten run and doubled what for the purposes of this discussion and for the sake of brevity, although I do have other sources of income, I'm going to refer to as my bankroll"

Quote:
2. y not move up to NL100 now
Because I want to prove to myself that I can beat 50NL first. I would like to be sufficiently bankrolled one day. I'm only $200 off being rolled for 50NL, so I'm going to stick with it for now.

Quote:
I wrote a review here http://www.pokertips.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35157 when I started playing there. It was before I realised it used the same skin as Titan.
Old Jan 08, 2007, 1:30pm   #7
Rafvdv
Doyle Look-alike

Rafvdv

Quote:
Originally Posted by riccohb View Post
But today, after another win, I couldn't take it any more. I just had to tell someone, so I told my wife, hoping that it wouldn't count because she wouldn't be listening anyway.
You where hoping your wife wouldn't listen when you use money and winning in the same sentance . WAKE UP.

Telling your wife you won money is -EV.
Old Jan 08, 2007, 2:15pm   #8
riccohb
Grinder

riccohb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafvdv View Post
Telling your wife you won money is -EV.
I might use that for my signature if you don't mind.
Old Jan 08, 2007, 11:07pm   #9
ImAllInNow
Grinder

ImAllInNow

I'm happy you had such a long winning streak but you should really take a look at how exactly these sessions went down. If you were ever down a few buy ins and played long enough to make back the losses +$5 before leaving then this is not a good sign. Also, if you left good games for fear of losing back the winnings this is another bad sign. As Mike Caro has said, having a long manufactured winning streak is not a good thing. It causes you to play longer when you are losing and shorter when you are winning which is exactly the oppositie of the ideal.

This may not be the case in your situation, but just letting you know.
ImAllInNow est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 08, 2007, 11:19pm   #10
riccohb
Grinder

riccohb

I don't deny that on a couple of occasions, especially towards the end of the streak when I was tempted to keep it going as long as possible, I played to win back my losses for the session.

I know this is exactly the wrong thing to do for a whole host of reasons, but like tilt, I found it very difficult to resist. For better or worse I don't tend to have a long window of opportunity to play each session, so I rarely have the time to lose or win a great deal either way. I was never in a position where I was trying to make good the loss of a couple of buy ins. On the times it happened I was probably staying for another round to win back a $5 loss.

The streak was more down to decent portions of lucky cards, lucky flops, and playing well against poor quality opponents.