THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Jul 07, 2003, 5:53pm   #1
Anonymous
Doyle Look-alike

Anonymous is an unknown quantity at this point
Default defending small blind

What is a strategy for defending your small blind. I know what to do with good cards, and I know what to do with bad cards when there's a raise, but when there are no raises and you don't believe the bb will raise, do you throw good money away and call to defend your small blind when you have bad cards or at very best marginal cards, or do you just take the small loss and fold?
Anonymous est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Jul 07, 2003, 6:39pm   #2
TwoGun
Administrator

TwoGun has disabled reputation

First of all, don't think of it as 'defending.' People calling the BB is not a personal matter. In an unraised pot, just think of it as whether or not you should call half a bet to see the flop in bad position.

Whether to do it or not with marginal cards depends largely on whether you are playing NL or limit. In NL, I am more likely to do it, especially with an odd hand that has nutlike potential (like 56 or 68...hands that will make straights or at least three of a kind to have any betting power).

I am less likely to do it in limit b/c the implied odds are lower. In NL, I can break someone with a 67, in limit, they'll just call to the river. You can go ahead and call in limit, but calling with these mediocre hands is more advantageous in no limit than limit.

The hands I'll generally throw away no matter what are big cards with a bad kicker- Like J2, Q3, K4, 103 etc. You have almost no betting power with these hands. The best you are hoping for is a three of a kind with the small card b/c if you hit the big card, there is a good chance someone else will have the big card with a higher kicker.
TwoGun est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 07, 2003, 7:13pm   #3
Anonymous
Doyle Look-alike

Anonymous is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, I see what you mean. Thanks, that clears up something I was thinking but couldn't articulate. Replaying a few hands in my head I can see the advantage to it in NL.
Anonymous est déconnecté   Reply With Quote