THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Jan 16, 2004, 2:42am   #1
hrk
Fish

hrk
Default Tournaments

I love playing at Partypoker but I've just about had it with multi-table tournaments. I've read the articles about them and in my opinion, it is mostly luck. I've had a 1st place finish, a 7th place finish and a 14th place finish, all total about $3,000....but the money I've spent in the last 4 months is rediculous.
I seem to do very well at the NL ring games, but I spend all my winnings plus more to enter the multi's.
Here's just an example of last night: I'm playing in a $30 buy in NL multi and doing very well. It's round 9 and I have about 9,000 in chips. I'm dealt TsJs and the flop comes AsKsQc. I have the nut straight and the turn comes 9s. Now I have the flush. I bet all in against one player, after about a minute of stalling, he calls. The river is an A, he's got AQ and beats me with the boat. According to the card simulator, I was an 82% favorite to win at the flop.
I'm still upset about it and I will not play in another multi. TOO much LUCK.
Okay I'm done crying, thanks for listening......
hrk est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Jan 16, 2004, 4:49am   #2
TwoGun
Administrator

TwoGun has disabled reputation

One thing I try to stress is that tournaments are really just poker lotteries. While some professionals have made a lot of money at tournaments, they have a much higher luck factor than a regular game.
TwoGun est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2004, 9:28pm   #3
Anonymous
Doyle Look-alike

Anonymous is an unknown quantity at this point

Poker lotteries. I like that. I definitely feel the same way after my recent hard luck. In an online tourney on Wednesday, myself and another player went all in pre-flop. I had aces. He had kings. Flop was A-10-2 rainbow. At this point I was a 98 to 2 favorite, but the turn was a J and the river a Q, giving him a straight and knocking me out. This Saturday in a live tourney I caught A-K and after an A-7-7 flop, with no one representing 7's, and meyself being short stacked, I went all in. Everyone but the chip leader, who had at least 7-10 times the chips I had at the time, folds. Before he matches me, the chip leader says to me and the whole table that he's almost positive I have him beat, but wants to knock me out so he's going to risk it. He flips over K-Q offsuit. Again at this point I was a 98 to 2 favorite at the point where I was all in, but the turn was a J and the river was a 10, giving him a straight and knocking me out. After these two instances, it's really hard for me to agree with some people who say tourneys are a real good test of skill.
Anonymous est déconnecté   Reply With Quote