THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Feb 10, 2004, 9:11pm   #1
mbe369
Flop Artist

mbe369
Default Losing sessions

I'm currently on a losing streak of six days in a row. I'm curious as to people's experience in this area. Is this a record? i have never won six days in a row. What is considered normal give and take? Over all I'm ahead of the game, but this is getting discouraging.
mbe369 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Feb 10, 2004, 9:29pm   #2
Ozone
The One Who Knocks

Ozone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ozone

Hmmm....toughie. I have won for weeks in a row before, but I'm a lucky jew.

6 days in a row is probably a problem. But, if you have never won 6 days in a row, then maybe you just suck at poker, and should expect to be losing 6 days in a row.

What game are you playing? Stakes? Hours?

-Ozone

"How do I become more pro? I gotta learn math?" - fuedallord
Ozone est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2004, 1:28am   #3
damageinc55
Flop Artist

damageinc55
Send a message via AIM to damageinc55 Send a message via Yahoo to damageinc55

Take a nice long break. Fact is, once you win for a little while, you feel as if you have got it figured out. You dont. Spend some time doing another hobby, then come back (I have been off poker for about 4 weeks).
damageinc55 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2004, 3:34am   #4
Fencer04
Brunson

Fencer04
Send a message via AIM to Fencer04

damageinc55 has exactly the answer I have done this three times now. I made a post about a huge fall that I took and it was all because I thought that every hand I played was won before it started. I took a break and made it back to $200 (from $39). Then it happened again, but this time I caught it and stopped myself before I fell too hard (down to $161). Just play super patient and remember that AA will get cracked. If you have a sound game than you will win in the long run. If you have any suspicion that your previous wins were a little too much luck then just read up and get back in the game.
Fencer04 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2004, 9:43pm   #5
MRVEGAS
Dude

MRVEGAS is a name known to allMRVEGAS is a name known to allMRVEGAS is a name known to allMRVEGAS is a name known to allMRVEGAS is a name known to allMRVEGAS is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to MRVEGAS

We all have them. Its just part of the game. How we deal with these losing streaks i believe is what separates the good from the bad, the weak from the strong player. First remember no guarantees in Poker just b/c you hold AA for the 6th time today doesnt mean you are due and you chase to the river with flush and st8 possiblities on the board. Stick to your game NEVER deviate. the time to play loose is when you are winning.
I look at it as putting back into the poker economy, these suckouts gotta win sometime so they can pay us off most of the time!!! I look at these losing sessions as a test of my metal and try and learn from them. Play at a comfortable limit so you continue to make to plays your normally would
ie: not raising or check raising. stick to your game. Remember PATIENCE AND DISCIPLINE are keys skills.

MRV
MRVEGAS est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2004, 5:17pm   #6
Notjitsu
Professional

Notjitsu will become famous soon enoughNotjitsu will become famous soon enough

I lose a lot...because i play a lot.

So eventually, I'll lose a bunch in a row.

What I look at, is why do I lose. If I'm making stupid decisions, or trying to be too fancy...then its something I should worry about.

If I'm just losing, because the pokergods have it in for me that day/week, no biggie. It happens. And some day/week, the pokergods will bless me with more than I deserve.

Thats the key though, is being honest with yourself. When you make a play, regardless of whether you win or lose, you should ask whether or not you should have made that play. If the answer is no, make a mental checkmark. If you start piling those babies up, then you need to step back and do whatever is necessary to get yourself back to your top playing form.

A lot of people suggest taking time off. I personally like to play a big multi-table tourney. It gives me a few hours of my tourney-style (I'm very tight at the beginning) play for just a few bucks, and when things are going bad for me because of me, simplifying my play and tightening up is generally the solution.
Notjitsu est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2004, 2:24am   #7
sffan72
Grinder

sffan72

I've been struggling somewhat with the same problem.

After having a pretty good January (well, could've been better, but I was up, so good is good), I've been taking my beatings regularly since the beginning of the month. This was another motivation to try another site (and, unsurprisingly, I've gotten creamed in the 3 .25/50 sessions I've done at Stars so far).

So today, I dropped $1 in the Stars 1+0 NL tourney, and did pretty well-- finished 100th out of 703, despite getting (what I felt) were absolutely crappy starting hands for the bulk of my time. Much like Notjitsu suggests above, tightening up and waiting for the good hands is what kept me in it for as long as I was. And of course a little luck helps. ;)

Here's hoping things turn around through better, tighter play and favorable luck, for both of us.
sffan72 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2004, 5:33pm   #8
manutdfan1
Grinder

manutdfan1 is on a distinguished road

I play almost every day of the week, less on Sunday. I've development alittle rule for handling a bad day. I never been just crushed (loosing almost everyhand to a fish) so I can't comment on that. I take that back I played NL when I first started and got crushed. I usually play limit now and I'm holding my own. My rule is if I'm loosing more than I started with but then I win a few hands to continue getting me close to even but then lose again I stop playing. For example, If you come to the 2-4 tables with $500 you hit a loosing steak and are down to 440, then win and are at 480, lose again 440, win again 480 and then lose 460 I stop. So if its up and down (big swings) 2-3 times and I just can't manage to fight my way back to even I stop. In fact this happen to me last night. I was coming off a nice streak and then luck was on the side of the Fish and I had to stop. Not sure if this will help.
manutdfan1 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote