THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Mar 15, 2004, 11:59pm   #1
MRVEGAS
Dude

MRVEGAS is a name known to allMRVEGAS is a name known to allMRVEGAS is a name known to allMRVEGAS is a name known to allMRVEGAS is a name known to allMRVEGAS is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to MRVEGAS
Default Omaha! Omaha! Omaha!

I never liked Omaha. Just didnt like the sound of it. The old men in Beatty,NV where i learned Texas holdem didnt like it so i didnt either.
Until last week. I decided to try it, i played in demo for little while to get the hang of it. Now im starting to play low limit hi/low. Im enjoying it and of course if im enjoying it i am winning.

My question is this: It seems "easy" after working hard to improve my Texas game, this Omaha seems like a piece of cake if you play smart.
I mean with the "low" it gives you another chance to win and you get so much action when you hit a nut flush or a boat. I know i shouldnt use the word crutch BUT Texas is my favorite and most challenging so playin omaha would only be a distraction in a sense. So is it possible to use Omaha as a poker crutch for my holdem game. But as i write this im thinking of just dedicating some time to play omaha just as i do Texas
just not as much!?! Anyway what do my fellow poker junkies think? I noticed many pros not only won Texas holdem tournys but also they won Omaha and stud tournys so my thinking was simple if you can win at TEXAS then you can win at anything!!

MRV
MRVEGAS est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Mar 16, 2004, 12:40am   #2
MRVEGAS
Dude

MRVEGAS is a name known to allMRVEGAS is a name known to allMRVEGAS is a name known to allMRVEGAS is a name known to allMRVEGAS is a name known to allMRVEGAS is a name known to all

After a little more though i think i can word the question a litttle better.

Is it ok to add Omaha to my overall poker ARSENAL. Thats right!! arsenal like that!!!!!

And of course the answer is YES! Whether you play TEXAS holdem, or OMAHA holdem or NEW JERSEY holdem if you can play and win then why not be more diversified in your poker. It seems the pros are!

MRV

P.S. NJ holdem is alot like go fish and is played with toll booth tokens only! (i think)
Old Mar 16, 2004, 8:25pm   #3
skeptix82
Making Monies

skeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to skeptix82

I would say that if limit hold em is your game, limit omaha high would be your game. If you just wait long enough you can take down huge pots. If NL is more your style, then I suggest pot limit omaha hi/lo. I like to be able to control the betting to maximize my wins and of course to get out when I know I don't/will not have the best of it. Hi/Lo games are VERY beatable online if you know what you're doing cause a lot of people just don't. They get on there knowing how to play hold em and they try the other games out. You'll have loads of people playing almost every hand to pay you off. Just wait for a strong and diverse hand with many possible nuts, if you get it or have a fat draw go for it, if not get out. Yes, add this and stud 8 to your arsenal. Much money can be made and say you go on tilt playin hold em, jump into a stud 8 game and play through it. Diversity is good. Also, learning Omaha and Stud will help out your overall game.
Old Mar 18, 2004, 5:46pm   #4
engstrok
Doyle Look-alike

engstrok is on a distinguished road

Gotta agree that diversity can only help you out. If most of the pros play multiple games, there's probably a good reason for you to do it too. My naive reason to add these games to my own "arsenal" is that a lot of these non-hold 'em games are beatable online specifically because people who think they can play hold 'em assume their skills will directly translate to other games. It does in a sense, because no matter what the poker game you still need to use knowledge of percentages, pot odds, and reading opponents to win. But in my opinion hold 'em is much more about aggression than other poker games and people who win solely on aggression in hold 'em are in for a rude awakening when they step into games where there are more multi-way pots and your opponents have more outs.
engstrok est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2004, 8:37pm   #5
MRVEGAS
Dude

I can believe the lack of response here. Anyway thanks to skeptix82

for the advice i think Omaha hi is the game for me also. Im still new at

the game but its awsome the amount of action going on and its been my

experience in the games ive been playin have been wild they call and play

every single hand and when they win they win with some crap that hit the

river i seem to be the only player even folding pre-flop. ive had ppl ask

the rules at the table!!! I also think many ppl dont even know what they

have got until the end. its crazy

MRV
Old Mar 18, 2004, 8:54pm   #6
aseyer
Grinder

aseyer is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to aseyer

The WORST thing about playing Omaha (to me anyway) is how downright rude some of the players are the the novices at the table.

You occasionally here about people being mean to a fish on Hold'Em when they get out drew, but even when the fish LOSE on Omaha players berate them.

Not the way to get the player to sit down and play with you for a while.

If you're gonna take a guys money, make him feel like he's having fun losing it to you. He'll pay you time and time again. Be rude to a fish and they only pay you once.
aseyer est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2004, 11:04pm   #7
engstrok
Doyle Look-alike

engstrok is on a distinguished road

You are exactly right, aseyer. Seems like some people who play Omaha just love berating bad players. I've seen players who know the game even challenge weaker players to games at higher stakes "since it's obvious you don't know what you're doing". What a crock. Let the bad players think they are just getting unlucky when they chase runner-runner. Assure them they made the right play when they fish in and get their one out on the river. Tell them when you win you just got lucky. Tell them any four cards can win any hand. Tell them to raise with only a one-way hand like it's the eternal nuts in a split pot game. But for the love of God, don't tell them the truth and give them a reason to learn how to play better!
engstrok est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2004, 6:13am   #8
cmay119
Flop Artist

cmay119

I have just recently gotten involved in Omaha/8 myself but I must say I love it. If you are a veteran to Hold'em Learning Omaha Hi/low is almost a breeze to understand. I find that you have to be even more selective in Omaha Hi/low then you do in Hold'em but that alright knowing that pretty much every hand that you get involved in, in Omaha/8 of the same stakes you would play Hold'em in, you get payed off atleast twice as much. I.E. 2/4 Hold'em average pot $25-30, whereas 2/4 Omaha/8 $60-80. and a fair portion of those pots were never split. I just really like the fact that there is a low that can save your ass, if your high hand goes sour. Just my $0.02!
cmay119 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2004, 9:41pm   #9
DrRockets
Flop Artist

DrRockets

Yeah...this past week I've started to play omaha 8 SnG at Empire ($5+1)....my results?...

1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 3rd, 1st, 6th, 7th, 3rd.... not bad...a $54 investment became a $41 profit.....guess it is time for me to move up to the $10+1 SnG tables...

Played the .50/$1 ring for 45 minutes....profitted $18....If you have a little patience and "all the time in the world" then you'll go out on top...if you are looking for a quick buck then omaha isnt it. I think I fold more proflop playing omaha than I do Texas.

If you play lower limit omaha on Empire/Party then lemme know your alias!!! I'm DrRockets

"If it is good enough to call then it is good enough to raise"
DrRockets est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2004, 2:47am   #10
Semo
Flop Artist

Semo

I actually sat in on an omaha hi lo tourney on accident. I had never played omaha and never really read about it. I went into panic state when I was dealt 4 cards on the first hand. I guess you can imagine. I clicked the away post blind and fold button and came to POKERTIPS.ORG. I mainly read on the basics, like how many cards from my hand to play and what the low part of hi lo was. I finished in fourth at a ten person tourney. I was impressed with it. I am now playing at the cheapest stakes at empire while trying to get used to it. I am doing well with it. Like you guys say, be very patient. I find it easier to lay down strong hands playing this than holdem.

The action is crazy.....

Are the tables this loose with calls and weak hands showing down while playing the higher stakes. I mean like 1-2 - 3-6, since I am just getting used to it.
Semo est déconnecté   Reply With Quote