THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Apr 07, 2004, 1:56am   #11
packattack88
Grinder

packattack88 is on a distinguished road

Hey guys, I figured that would give Omaha a try. It seems to be a little bit more of a complex game, with more cards and all, but I seem to be doing fine with it. I've played a couple cheap tourneys and done well. I'm playing about 40% of the hands and my win% with flops seen is about 50%, is that right? If there are any pointers you guys could give to me to help me out that would be great. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Apr 07, 2004, 12:00pm   #12
Coss
Brunson

Coss is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Coss Send a message via MSN to Coss

I have mainly played omaha hi/low and that is great fun. Its so fun to take half the pot when some guy has four of a kind aces with your low straight.

I found no quide for omaha hi/low on this site but the main diffrence between hi and hi/low is that in hi/low the pot is split evenly between the highest hand and the lowest hand while in hi the highest hand gets it all.
The lowest hand is formed by taking the 2 lowest card from your hand and combining them with the 3 lowest from the river. All of these cards must be 8 or below and can not form a pairs or etc. They don't have to be in a straight but the optimal and best lowhand you can get is ace, 2,3, 4, 5.

Try it out, its fun. For once you can be happy you have low cards.
Old May 01, 2004, 2:30am   #13
manutdfan1
Grinder

manutdfan1 is on a distinguished road

Vegas your a genius! This post inspired me to play Omaha hi/lo yesterday. I can't believe there aren't more post about this game. If your patient and constantly thinking at the table this is the game for you. Great game I may someday say the best game in poker. We need to start some serious post on this. I'd like to know about what hands you guys play.
manutdfan1 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old May 01, 2004, 11:06am   #14
packattack88
Grinder

packattack88 is on a distinguished road

Yes, manut, I too started playing because of this thread and I love the game. As far as starting hands go, I try to play a tighter game than I do in hold'em. Anytime I get A2, I'll play it, but generally I'll look to play hands that all have a relation to each other. Like Ah, 3d, Kd, 8h I will play because I have a low possibility, two flush possibilities, along with the high straight.
Old May 05, 2004, 8:56am   #15
MRVEGAS
Dude

MRVEGAS is a name known to allMRVEGAS is a name known to allMRVEGAS is a name known to allMRVEGAS is a name known to allMRVEGAS is a name known to allMRVEGAS is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to MRVEGAS

LOL, Ive been called alot of things manut but genius is a first!

Im glad the post motivated you guys to give it a try. After reading TwoGuns Strategy on Omaha i decided to try it so the thanks goes back to this great site! Im sticking to low limit High right now maybe try no-limit soon. I realized very quickly when i started playing that this game could be profitable. Not to say that you dont have some rough beats as in Texas but thats poker as we know. So far, the most important thing ive learned is to get as much money in the pot as possible when you get big suited pairs and suited connectors. Do whatever! check raise doesnt matter they will call you. Also, the fish will play some horrible cards and follow up with insane calling to catch a hand here and there. REMEMBER thats why your here! dont flame them!

MRV
MRVEGAS est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old May 05, 2004, 3:41pm   #16
aseyer
Grinder

aseyer is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to aseyer

Hey Vegas - You ever head down to Tunica?

Does anyone spread Omaha down there? I'm going there in a few weeks, going to play the $200 Friday Holdem tournament at the Grand.
aseyer est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 7:09pm   #17
MicroShark
Flop Artist

MicroShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVEGAS
P.S. NJ holdem is alot like go fish and is played with toll booth tokens only! (i think)
Looks like it made Dave Barry's list:

Quote:
Seven Card Stud, Five Card Draw, Alabama Grope 'em, Omaha High Low, Iowa Bore 'em, Six Card High Low Medium Jacks Wild Stud Draw Go Fish, Cincinnati Lawn Flamingo, Florida Recount 'em, Kansas City Clam Enhancer, Arkansas Geld 'em, New Jersey Whack 'em, New York Kvetch 'em, Red Rover and Whist.
(emphasis added)
MicroShark est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 03, 2006, 9:51pm   #18
MRVEGAS
Dude

MRVEGAS is a name known to allMRVEGAS is a name known to allMRVEGAS is a name known to allMRVEGAS is a name known to allMRVEGAS is a name known to allMRVEGAS is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to MRVEGAS

Quote:
Vegas your a genius!

MRV
“The weak are the most treacherous of us all. They come to the strong and drain them. They are bottomless. They are insatiable. They are always parched and always bitter. They are everyone’s concern and like vampires they suck our life’s blood.” Bette Davis
MRVEGAS est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 03, 2006, 10:03pm   #19
DoubleU
Calling station #1

DoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond repute

Had to dig that one up, eh?
DoubleU est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 04, 2006, 4:38pm   #20
BaseMC
Brunson

BaseMC
Send a message via MSN to BaseMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by engstrok
You are exactly right, aseyer. Seems like some people who play Omaha just love berating bad players. I've seen players who know the game even challenge weaker players to games at higher stakes "since it's obvious you don't know what you're doing". What a crock. Let the bad players think they are just getting unlucky when they chase runner-runner. Assure them they made the right play when they fish in and get their one out on the river. Tell them when you win you just got lucky. Tell them any four cards can win any hand. Tell them to raise with only a one-way hand like it's the eternal nuts in a split pot game. But for the love of God, don't tell them the truth and give them a reason to learn how to play better!
Are you serious? Posts like these are making me sad. To take on the weaker ones isn't something to brag about. To beat someone who is better than you should be the goal and not to win against those who're new to the game anyway. That's a poor attitude imo. You should pay more respect to the people you're playing with. When I won against someone several times, making him go all-in and rebuy I don't think: "Oh, I have to stay here and take as much money as I can." but "Hm, shouldn't he have learned by now? I hope he'll do better tomorrow." Where would be the challenge and fun in such a game as poker if all the players were dumb and noobish? Yes there are idiots, but I seriously doubt you enjoy their company. I don't. Not for all the money in the world.