THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > Strategy > No-Limit Hold'em Ring Games

Old Mar 25, 2004, 9:30am   #1
jorison
River Rat

jorison
Default Hand Discussion Did I Play this Right...

I was recently involved in a hand at the 25 dollar NL tables at Party Poker

I am in the big blind with AK of spades

Guy in early position raises (weak raise)
Button reraises (weak reraise)
I call
Oringal Raiser calls
There are 2 other callers

Pot is about 18 i have about 18 left

Flop comes 4s 6s 9d

I am first to act...I go all in

The reasoning I used was this:

My assumption was that with all the raising preflop there had to be at least one maybe two overpairs. But since no one moved in pre-flop despite the raising and reraising...I felt pretty confident that no one had Aces or Kings. Therefore there was a pretty good chance that both an A or a K was a winner or a push. Trip nines was of course a possibility, but I didnt see it as TOO likley...and I still had outs against that

I figured that if I went all in for a pot sized bet I maybe could take it down on the flop at even money...and if I got 2 or more callers I was getting good odds on my flush draw (33% chance to hit right?)...in addition to the chance that an A or a K might win it

Finally...I also assumed that if someone DID have an overpair or trips they were going to bet it strong anyway, so I may as well take the intiative.

Sounds great right? Well there were two callers...one had pocket tens one had pocket queens, I got no spade, no AK...queens took it down...

I am pretty confident I played this correctly, but I was just looking for some imput...
jorison est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Mar 25, 2004, 5:08pm   #2
centralmrb
River Rat

centralmrb
Default NO IT WAS WRONG!

I do not understand why people raise with AK when it does not hit in ONLINE POKER!? You HAD TO know that you were gonna get called? I mean even then you were betting all your $$$ on a draw? WHY? Why bet with just a draw? I have played 100,000 + hands of online poker and I ONLY HOPE THAT I get 2 pair or trips and someone like you bets into me with just a spade draw AK, not wise move. It is a great hand, but download the song, listen to it, you MUST KNOW WHEN TO HOLDEM AND KNOW WHEN TO FOLDEM!! Otherwise your ego takes over and you lose all your $$$$!
centralmrb est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2004, 8:15pm   #3
meckah
Flop Artist

meckah

i see this all the time, people try to play like they do on tv. what they don't understand is that what they see is actually a finaltable that is shorthanded in a big torney, a whole diffrent game....
meckah est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2004, 11:46am   #4
jorison
River Rat

jorison

Quote:
mean even then you were betting all your $$$ on a draw? WHY? Why bet with just a draw?
Because if my understanding is correct I stood to make roughly 80 dollars for an investment of about 23

Since I hit my flush in that situation 1 out of 3 times that means if this exact situation were to occur 3 times I would lose 23 two of them and win 80 once at a profit of 11 dollars.

If an A or K wins it for me also also and I am favored to win more than 1 out of 3...

so in the long term playing this situation like I did...I make money more money that I lose as long as I either get Zero or 2+ callers to my all in
jorison est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2004, 2:08pm   #5
beastiemiked
Flop Artist

beastiemiked

The only problem with going all-in without seeing what anyone else does after the flop is if you get called by one player that has trips. You would be a huge dog in this scenario and your expected return wouldn't be worth the $18 you put in the pot after the flop. I think this situation depends on the table and the tendency of the players at the table. With 2 callers holding pocket pairs you obviously made the right move but either one of those players could've just as easily been holding 9's. If I was in the same situation I probably would've made the same move, especially if the table was looser than most.
beastiemiked est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2004, 3:40pm   #6
coyote
Flop Artist

coyote

I can't think of a situation where going all-in on a draw, especially after you got callers on the pre-flop raise, is a wise move. If you wanted to protect your draw, you could raise and possibly get a free card on the river, but if you got a re-raise, it's time to lay it down as someone probably flopped trips.
coyote est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2004, 4:09pm   #7
Kazz
Grinder

Kazz is on a distinguished road

I don't know why so many of you are saying it was a bad play. I don't see anything wrong with it.

His all-in was only the size of the pot. I think making a weak bet and folding to a raise (someone might raise with anything if they think you're weak) would be a lot worse than just making the one strong bet that you can.

His hand actually had a 50%+ chance of winning, and with 2 callers I think that's pretty good odds. If he was up against a set, he'd still have a 25% chance of winning, and while that's not the best, you can't just check and fold every hand because someone might have a set. Depending on how loose they were, he could even have been up against something like AQ and KQ, making him about a 95% favorite.

I'm not saying he should have just assumed he was a 95% favorite, just that if you don't have a lot of money at risk and and you may be in a favorable position, you might as well be aggressive and semi-bluff it instead of letting someone else do it to you. How would you feel if you were pushed out by J10 of Spades in that hand? ;)
Kazz est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2004, 8:18pm   #8
Notjitsu
Professional

Notjitsu will become famous soon enoughNotjitsu will become famous soon enough

i agree with kazz.
Notjitsu est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2004, 8:19pm   #9
coyote
Flop Artist

coyote

His hand actually had a 50%+ chance of winning,

So going all-in on a coin flip is a good idea? You can sit at my table anytime.
coyote est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2004, 9:43pm   #10
packattack88
Grinder

packattack88 is on a distinguished road

It is a bad call because if someone did match their set, you need 2 running cards. Somebody could still have pocket tens-queens in which you are a big underdog. If they have pocket kings you have three outs, and if they have pocket aces you're beat. It is a very risky play, and I don't know Kazz, but 20 bucks is not something I want to lose.