THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Apr 20, 2004, 8:35pm   #1
Hoss Man
Doyle Look-alike

Hoss Man is on a distinguished road
Default too tight, too passive?

I just started playing real money holdem online about a month ago. I play the $10 and $25 NL tables. My stats show me winning 65%+ of the showdowns but only 4-6% overall. I fold pre flop 50% of the time and 25% after the flop. I usally start a session with 50% of the table limit.

I can play for 1-2 hours but only show a 50-75% profit. No much for $5 and $12 buyin. I was up double my deposit, but through maybe playing loose or being out drawn, I am back to my deposit.

I usually will lay down J2s, K5o or 44,66 preflop to a 3xBB raise preflop; especially in a longhanded game. I feel that these are not great drawing hands and the low pairs have only two outs to hit the set. Is this too conservative?

I'm a little gun shy after some bad beats, and want to build some confidence, and my account

What are some good bets (% of Pot) to make to try and steal some pots with second hand, or to scare off call stations.
Hoss Man est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Apr 20, 2004, 9:20pm   #2
meckah
Flop Artist

meckah

Way to loose and passive i would say.
meckah est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2004, 9:24pm   #3
packattack88
Grinder

packattack88 is on a distinguished road

Assuming that you're playing with 8-9 other people, I think that you're playing too many hands. J2s and K5o are obvious folds in most positions. Try to tighten up, and don't be playing weak aces like A7o. Limp in with pockets any time you can, and with hands like 910s as that is a good drawing hand. As far as how much to bet, I usually will bet if there are two cards of the same suit, and I have top pair. Throw in 2/3 of the pot or so to get rid of any flush chasers, and play your hands strongly when you have the best.
Old Apr 20, 2004, 9:56pm   #4
vcDragon
Flop Artist

vcDragon

In NL ring games would you calculate pot odds the same way as you would in a limit game? e.g. when drawing to flushes + straights.
vcDragon est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2004, 10:39pm   #5
meckah
Flop Artist

meckah

yes
Old Apr 21, 2004, 5:33pm   #6
Hoss Man
Doyle Look-alike

Thanks for the advice. I honestly thought I was playing tight, but obviously not according to the posts. I played much tighter last night and it paid off. I ended up folding about 70% of the time pre flop.

After about 1 1/2 hours of play and being down slightly, due to blinds and some limp ins, I got my monster hand; Ah-Kh. The flop comes Qh-2h-9h. I hit my nut flush. Bet comes to me and I check, next player bets big, rest fold. Comes to me and I call all-in. He calls. Shows A-A. Turn and River are 2 and a blank. I take the pot. Man, that felt good!

Helps instill some lost confidence. Looking forward to seeing his story on the poker pages somewhere.
Old Apr 21, 2004, 10:10pm   #7
meckah
Flop Artist

meckah

"I usually will lay down J2s, K5o"

You should ALWAYS lay them down, even if you get them in big blind do not bet with them unles you flop the nuts. One of my personal rules when i play is that every hand i play BOTH cards must be good. That means that A7 is crap, while AK is good, since it gives straights and highest kicker possible if paired. Remember the importance to be suited.
Also in loose games like I assume you play, play more drawing hands. AJ in an unraised pot is not very good. I rather have JT in a multiway pot. Remeber that JT will always give you the nut straight if you use them both.
Always limp in with picket pairs. But if there are ANY overcards on the flop or scary flop, learn to lay them down. If you flop a set, then play them fast. Do not let yourself get outdrawn. Also hands like 87s is very playable. One of my favirite hands :)
Remeber much of your winnings is by laying hands down when you should and not by winning alot of pots. I usually win only like 5% of the pots, but it still makes profit for me, since I don't waste alot of money when i don't win. I only see like 20-25% of the flops.
That is just some of my personal style when I play, Im sure others play diffrently :)
Old Apr 22, 2004, 2:54pm   #8
Hoss Man
Doyle Look-alike

I have tightened my game up and am taking larger pots on hands I am confident about and not trying to steal smaller pots on marginal hands; only to be check raised or over raised and I have to fold.

I often watch the board unfold after I muck a K5o or Q7o pre-flop. The flop would come zip, then the 5K or 7Q come on the turn and river; in that order. The winner shows his single pair and wins. I don't sweat it too much knowing that I would have paid alot to get lucky.

Plus I've seen that K or Q make the flush draw for someone and then the winner shows his flush. For which I am relieved that I folded.

These posts have definitely waken me to what I thought was my tight play, but am finding out was too loose passive.