THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Jun 28, 2004, 6:49pm   #1
Hoss Man
Doyle Look-alike

Hoss Man is on a distinguished road
Default $.50/1 Limit: Is it me..?

Or is this a good place to regain your poker confidence?

I recently got shellacked in NL with some real bad beats leading to tilts. Then when I rebought more chips, I started playing TOO timid at NL.

So I started playing $.50/1 Limit where the bad beats aren't as tough to take. I noticed a few very important, and good, things.

1) I am winning more hands per hour/session now because I can draw out on them. This is while sticking to standard Class I, II, III.. etc hand strategy.

2) More loose players getting burnt by my tight aggressive play. I see alot more A6s dying to my AJ or AQ when and A hits the board. I have started folding A2o - A9o pre flop, unless I am SB or BB and can see the flop "cheap" and hope for 2 pair. Super tight, I know.

3) Pots are ~$4-$8 average when you do win. So you can still make some decent $$ during a session.

I'm slowly building up my bankroll and confidence again. Hope to be in the black soon.
Hoss Man est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Jun 28, 2004, 11:51pm   #2
Kazz
Grinder

Kazz is on a distinguished road
Default Re: $.50/1 Limit: Is it me..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss Man
I have started folding A2o - A9o pre flop, unless I am SB or BB and can see the flop "cheap" and hope for 2 pair. Super tight, I know.
*Started* folding those? No wonder you lost your money in NL! ;) Seriously though, those hands can get you into a lot of trouble, especially in NL. I rarely play those off-suit except in the blinds, and even suited I'll probably fold them in early position unless I'm pretty sure there will be several limpers and no raise.

In late position, if you're the first one in or there isn't much action and you don't think anyone is already in with a better Ace, you should still be okay playing (and probably raising) with A9 or A8, maybe even lower, but the lower you go the more risk you're taking.
Kazz est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2004, 1:51am   #3
manutdfan1
Grinder

manutdfan1 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: $.50/1 Limit: Is it me..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss Man
Or is this a good place to regain your poker confidence?

I recently got shellacked in NL with some real bad beats leading to tilts. Then when I rebought more chips, I started playing TOO timid at NL.

So I started playing $.50/1 Limit where the bad beats aren't as tough to take. I noticed a few very important, and good, things.

1) I am winning more hands per hour/session now because I can draw out on them. This is while sticking to standard Class I, II, III.. etc hand strategy.

2) More loose players getting burnt by my tight aggressive play. I see alot more A6s dying to my AJ or AQ when and A hits the board. I have started folding A2o - A9o pre flop, unless I am SB or BB and can see the flop "cheap" and hope for 2 pair. Super tight, I know.

3) Pots are ~$4-$8 average when you do win. So you can still make some decent $$ during a session.

I'm slowly building up my bankroll and confidence again. Hope to be in the black soon.
Your right and I posted about this before. Only a small % of people are going to make it big early on. I thought I was one of them (up close to 2k in 2.5 weeks) but I wasn't. I got greedy and entered some big limit (big for me) and NL games without the proper skill level and got hit. So I thought about it, knew I loved poker and was willing to learn at lower limits. I improved (still learning) and with the help of this site (especially TwoGun) I'm now able to play much higher limits with no major problems. I still have away to go but my confidence is much better. Sure there's a good share of bad beats at lower limits but you learn to appreciate them. Because without those players your not making squat. And in higher limits you’re going to be looking for loose games anyway. It also allows you to put bankroll swings in perspective. In my opinion, if you beat these lower limits your able to easily beat higher ones. Bottom line you’re not losing your tail, you’re still learning and, if you’re making a little, you have money to spend on NL tourneys.
manutdfan1 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2004, 3:56am   #4
maxwedge
River Rat

maxwedge

I like 25 dollar limits. That way I can play 2 games at once.
maxwedge est déconnecté   Reply With Quote