THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > General Discussion > The Rail

View Poll Results: What software do you use for browsing and e-mailing?
BROWSING: Internet Explorer | E-MAILING: Outlook 0 0%
BROWSING: Internet Explorer | E-MAILING: Another software 3 30.00%
BROWSING: Another software | E-MAILING: Outlook 1 10.00%
BROWSING: Another software | E-MAILING: Another software 6 60.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jul 12, 2004, 8:38am   #1
BadBeatBasti
BadBeatMod

BadBeatBasti is just really niceBadBeatBasti is just really niceBadBeatBasti is just really niceBadBeatBasti is just really nice
Default Alternative to Internet Explorer and Outlook

I was looking for an alternative to the Microsoft products Internet Explorer and Outlook. The reason why I wanted to use something else is that I have the feeling, that hackers will always try to mess with your MS stuff. So if you/I use something else you/I will not have to be so worried about security problems. I found two alternative products which I think are pretty good.

Mozilla Firefox is a very good alternative to the Internet Explorer

Mozilla Thunderbird is a good alternative to Outlook.

Mozilla Firefox
I find especially the Mozilla's Firefox very useful and better than the Internet Explorer! It has awesome skins, useful features like opening a window inside a window and it got all the other features the Internet Explorer has! So it is not that hard to switch from IE to Firefox! The feel and look is way better, because you can download cool themes!

Mozilla Thunderbird
To switch from Outlook to Thunderbird I found a little bit harder. You have to install some extensions first to get the same functions as Outlook has, but at least you get only the stuff you want and need! The feel and look is the same.

Is anyone else usind Mozilla's Firefox and Thunderbird (sounds like from the Power Rangers)? Since I just started using it, I don't have that much experience with it. If someone else has some more experiences and can tell me/us some good and bad features of the products, I would appreciate it!
BadBeatBasti est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Jul 12, 2004, 12:33pm   #2
Kazz
Grinder

Kazz is on a distinguished road

I use the original Mozilla as a web browser and for e-mail. Firefox is nice too, but until I get around to trying Thunderbird, I might as well keep using Mozilla for both. I think it might be the best choice for the average user though.
Kazz est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2004, 2:37pm   #3
aseyer
Grinder

aseyer is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to aseyer

I use firefox now, but I love my Outlook.
aseyer est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2004, 4:38pm   #4
BadBeatBasti
BadBeatMod

BadBeatBasti is just really niceBadBeatBasti is just really niceBadBeatBasti is just really niceBadBeatBasti is just really nice

I love Firefox. The feature "open in new tab" I really love! My favorite theme is Noia 2.0 extreme. I also enjoy that I have my bookmarks on the top and not on the side. This way I can use the whole width of the windows! I still have to get used to Thunderbird, but I will give it a chance!
By the way, Isn't Mozilla = Firebird + Thunderbird + other stuff
Old Jul 12, 2004, 6:36pm   #5
sffan72
Grinder

sffan72

hmm...

Netscape 7.0 for browsing (and the only reason I have it is because fewer sites look correct in Netscape 4.0). Internet Exploder gets very infrequent use on my machine.

But I use Eudora Light(!) for e-mail. You couldn't pay me to use Outlook.
Old Jul 12, 2004, 7:37pm   #6
BadBeatBasti
BadBeatMod

Does anyone use Opne Office or another alternative to Microsoft Office? Is there a good and free alternative?
Old Jul 12, 2004, 7:46pm   #7
TwoGun
Administrator

TwoGun has disabled reputation

I tried easy office and it's pretty bad.

I use Mozilla as a web browser. IE just has too many security holes in my opinion.
TwoGun est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2004, 7:46pm   #8
aseyer
Grinder

aseyer is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to aseyer

Open Office, to me, falls under the category of "Devil I know vs. Devil I don't know."

Our company uses Office worldwide, so it would be a stretch to branch out. Losing all of IT's support etc. is reason enough to stay with MS. I know it's quirks, so might as well stay with the Devil I know.

I only switched browsers because of how fast IE is, and I do dig tabbed browsing. The fact the IE lost market share for the first time since 1999 will probably make MS re-evaluate their decision to cease IE development.

But I don't ever see Office being dethroned. For the few problems I have with it, the amount of stuff if does GREAT (not good, GREAT) outweigh it.
aseyer est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2004, 8:03pm   #9
BadBeatBasti
BadBeatMod

Yeah, I guess I will stick with Office. Actually I don't need it that often, so I really don't need to worry about it! The only things I enjoy now are my new Mozialla programms

By the way, it is funny that no one has voted yet that he is using the Microsoft Internet Explorer and Outlook! I wonder why?
Old Jul 13, 2004, 12:58pm   #10
Kazz
Grinder

Kazz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBeatBasti
By the way, Isn't Mozilla = Firebird + Thunderbird + other stuff
Before Firefox and Thunderbird were created, there was the original Mozilla which is similar to Netscape in the fact that it contains a web browser, e-mail client, HTML editor, etc. That main program is still called Mozilla, and the derivatives are called Mozilla Firefox or just Firefox, etc.

By the way, I don't know if you're interested or not, but one of my favorite extensions is gestures. It takes a little while to get used to, but if you do get used to it, you probably won't go back. It makes it so much faster and easier to do things like open new tabs and windows, switch between tabs, go forward and back, reload pages, close pages, minimize windows, and just about anything else you want to do. Some people may prefer pie menus, but once you get used to gestures I think they're faster and easier. Either one beats going up to the navigation toolbar or right clicking though!

There are also a bunch of other cool projects there at mozdev.org, and although they range from barely started to very solid projects, if you look around you'll probably find some good stuff. I believe that Firefox has its own place for extensions, and they're probably a little more selective about what they show you, but if you feel adventurous, you might want to check it out anyway.

Update: I just checked the Firefox extensions page, and found the Firefox specific version which also includes some other extensions and works with the new extension manager. It has some other things I might like to try, such as "Scroll Wheel Navigation". After you install it, read about it on that page to get the details.

As for Open Office, I have little use for any "Office" programs, but the few times I've had to deal with word/excel files that people have sent me, Open Office has handled them fine.

If you already have, know how to use, and like ms office, then you probably won't want to learn a different program and switch right now. However, at some point you'll probably have to consider upgrading your software, and at that point (or before) you may want to give Open Office a shot so you don't have to keep paying microsoft for upgrades.

If you're not happy with ms office right now though, then you might as well try anything you can find and see what you like best. Just make sure you give each one a real chance and don't get rid of it right away just because it's unfamiliar and doesn't do everything the same way ms office does, and eventually you'll probably find something you like...unless you're like me and you don't like any "Office" programs very much. ;)
Kazz est déconnecté   Reply With Quote