THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Sep 10, 2004, 6:26pm   #1
Bling_Ping
Doyle Look-alike

Bling_Ping
Default HAHAHAHA, pure BS

I rarely check aces here, but i was feeling *lucky with all of the raising going on at this table.

***** Hand History for Game 933087335 *****
$50 NL Hold'em - Friday, September 10, 13:05:36 EDT 2004
Table Addictive Callers (Real Money)
Seat 9 is the button
Total number of players : 10
edcake posts small blind [$0.5].
EchtLoon posts big blind [$1].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to BlingPing [ Ad Ac ]
BoSoxJim: oh well
BlingPing calls [$1].
PearlJammed folds.
mrmarkam raises [$3].
sxviper57 calls [$3].
BlingPing calls [$2].
** Dealing Flop ** [ 6h, 5s, 8s ]
BlingPing checks.
mrmarkam checks.
sxviper57 checks.
** Dealing Turn ** [ Jd ]
BlingPing checks.
mrmarkam bets [$5].
sxviper57 folds.
>You have options at Dealing Do's Table!.
BlingPing raises [$20].
mrmarkam calls [$15].
** Dealing River ** [ 5h ]
BlingPing is all-In.
mrmarkam calls [$19.3].
BlingPing shows [ Ad, Ac ] two pairs, aces and fives.
mrmarkam shows [ 7s, 4s ] a straight, four to eight.
mrmarkam wins $86.10 from the main pot with a straight, four to eight.
Bling_Ping est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Sep 10, 2004, 11:48pm   #2
Kazz
Grinder

Kazz is on a distinguished road

When you limp with Aces hoping someone else will raise, especially if you're in bad position, you should reraise them instead of calling. The guy who raised with 74 probably would have let it go if you raised enough. You wouldn't have won much that way, but the way you played it you were taking a significant risk and this time it didn't pay off. If you do reraise, don't raise the minimum unless you really want everyone who's in to call. Raising to maybe the size of the pot or more is probably a good idea.

I haven't been playing $0.5/$1 NL for a few months now (except for a couple of days recently as you know), so what I said may not be perfect for the games you're in, but the idea that even with Aces you don't want to let people in cheap to beat you is still true. Also, although this particular hand may have been hard to get away from given the way it was played, you should always be willing to let go of your Aces/Kings/etc. if you think you're beat, especially if you limped in and the other players could have any 2 cards.
Kazz est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2004, 6:03am   #3
Bling_Ping
Doyle Look-alike

Bling_Ping

seriously, do you think aces are beat here? A few things tell me no.

First, when I make my attempt at the pot, he just called. The only hand that you would just call with would be a hand like top pair or overpair (both of which I am beating), or two the two specific hole cards making one specific hand (74 spades) that give you the straight with the flush draw. My reasoning for this is that if you have a straight, two pr or a set you would want to defend it against the flush draw right?
Also note the guy raised preflop. It wasnt a very large preflop raise, but nevertheless you cant put a man on 74 suited with a preflop raise.

Anyhow, I dont mean to bash your post, but it just seemed unreasonable to let go on this flop. If you care to explain to me why you would, i would be more than happy to hear so.
Old Sep 11, 2004, 7:59am   #4
Kazz
Grinder

Kazz is on a distinguished road

I was afraid you'd think that was what I was saying...look back again though, I said "...although this particular hand may have been hard to get away from given the way it was played..." meaning that I was giving general advise about high pairs even though I didn't think you could have got away from this particular hand.

It seemed relevant so I just though I should mention it in case you had a hard time laying down high pairs in general, because I've taken a lot of nice pots off of people who couldn't lay down their Aces, and I've given some up too, and I didn't want you to have to learn that lesson the hard way if you hadn't already.

I do think there are a couple of ways you could have won or maybe at least lost less in that pot though. If you had made a decent raise or reraise before the flop (I don't consider 3xBB to be a decent raise unless the game's very tight, and a decent reraise is probably at least the size of the pot) you probably would have won it right there. You wouldn't have won much, but it's better than losing, and if he'd had a hand good enough to call you with, you probably would have been in even better shape against it. If he'd called though, you woulda' been busted then too with that flop...

I also think it was a bad idea to check the flop, especially without the Ace of Spades. I know you said you usually don't, but if you had made a decent bet at the flop here and he'd raised you all in or somethin', you *might* have been able to get away from it...but since he raised, it's really hard to put him on anything that improved there except maybe a set if he raises with mid-low pairs...

Anyway, I was mostly talking in general...the way this hand was played by both of you, I don't think you could have done anything but get busted this time.
Kazz est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2004, 3:01pm   #5
Bling_Ping
Doyle Look-alike

Bling_Ping

I agree with you on the fact that a 3 dollar raise really isnt considerable. I thought that I would be able to slow play it with only 3 people seeing the flop and catch someone drawing. You can be sure that the next time I run into a situation like this, I WILL be making a good reraise preflop