THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Sep 16, 2004, 11:18pm   #1
Notjitsu
Professional

Notjitsu will become famous soon enoughNotjitsu will become famous soon enough
Default Table Image = Money

So I'm sitting at a .50/1.00 table. 100 dollar buyin, i'm at a little over 200. The table is boring. I hadn't been talking much at the table. As some of you know, I enjoy "chatting" as I play. Anyhoo, a guy sits down with 12 dollars or so at the table. Something that I find crazy.

Anyway, he raises, and I put him allin with 72s. He has QQ, so he calls. And we flip over our cards, and then the chatter starts. People, ignoring my hour of building up my hour of tight super-aggressive poker, immediately start saying "What the hell." And then I naturally defend my play, as it was suited.

So now they are starting to name call.

Then I remark that I was just playing like "Gus Brunson."

You can imagine how that went over.

Then I hit a few hands, and I drastically overbet the pot, and get called with marginal hands because "I'm a fish." All said and done, I picked up 100 bucks after the 72 incident due to people making bad calls.

Alas, I had to put an end to the charade, when one of the players accused me of being an employee of full tilt and another player seemed to believe them.

So I had to explain I was just being silly. As I didn't want to have my silliness, and another's idiocity reflect badly on the site.

But I definitely advise people to try to manipulate their image, as it can be very profitable, as nothing makes poker players happier than the opportunity to think they are better than someone else.
Notjitsu est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Sep 17, 2004, 3:41am   #2
Bling_Ping
Doyle Look-alike

Bling_Ping

I have always been a believer of this. That is why my screen name is so childish (and my icon too ). It works like a charm, but unfortunately for me I only take real advantage of it when I am drunk, which is ironic because then I am making stupid plays that SHOULD be made fun of and I SHOULD be chased down.

Nevertheless I agree. Be warned however, once you protray this image, you will get more action, and some new bad beats to boot.
Bling_Ping est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2004, 12:29pm   #3
KevinM11
Professional

KevinM11 will become famous soon enough

I agree as well. At times I'm in the SB and everyone is limping (4 or more) and I know BB very, very rarly raises so I will limp in on crap. I love it when I hit the flop not only for winning the pot but so to have my 83o or 25o exposed. People pretty well all do the same thing...start calling my bets and rasies after that. Of course you always need to be aware that your cards were exposed so as to now play tight agressive (cards willing) and you can and will take some huge pots. I also find the same thing on a tight table to fold out of SB a lot, even if it is folded around to you. Then when your raise a bet you will get a lot more respect. Just create the image compared to the table play and use that to your advantage.

"take stock of any poor thought processes that may be causing you to lose money needlessly at the poker table." Ozone

"The main reason for me to play poker has always been to have fun and hopefully make a little cash." DK-Molinero
KevinM11 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2004, 6:38pm   #4
Ozone
The One Who Knocks

Ozone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ozone

Bingo Kevin! I am a firm believer in raising the pot preflop with rags, and showing the bluff if everyone ends up folding.

Sends people spiralling on an irreversable course of tilt.

"How do I become more pro? I gotta learn math?" - fuedallord
Ozone est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2004, 8:45pm   #5
Notjitsu
Professional

And don't forget to reference Gus Brunson as the player you emulate.
Old Sep 18, 2004, 12:56am   #6
Kazz
Grinder

Kazz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjitsu
And don't forget to reference Gus Brunson as the player you emulate.
Or Doyle Bronson (as Mattias spelled it in his post). People will probably think you're going to blow them up! ;)
Kazz est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2004, 8:06pm   #7
zemidjan_99
Brunson

zemidjan_99
Default caught early...

...pays dividends later.

I was playing NL 50 and the night started off on a bad note. The deal had made about 4 turns around the table and had played a few hands. I'm to the right of the button and get rags (5 7 o). After 2 limpers, and being in late position I decide to run a bluff. I throw a $4 dollar bet, which seemed to be the going rate for bullets at the table.

Dealer calls and everyone else folds. Flop X X A. Seeing if I can run the bluff, I throw a pot bet. Dealer calls. Turn: A, I throw another pot bet. Dealer calls. I figure I am in trouble, but don't think he has an ace cause he didn't reraise me. I put him on a face pair. River is a 7 which i remember because I paired the board, whoop dee do. I throw out an 1/2 pot bet. Dealer calls and shows pocket jacks. I admit I was caught, but still wonder why he would call with aces on the board. Table sees my 5 7 off and not only starts to rip me for being an idiot and the like, but start to praise the dealer for his "brilliant play." I ask myself how was that brilliant?

A few hands later, I get pocket aces. I pre flop raise to $4 and 2 callers. Flop is J 10 2. I throw a pot bet. They both call. Turn is 7. Straight draw but I think my aces are still good. Who plays a straight draw after after a $4 pre , and a post flop pot bet. Another pot bet and both call. River 8. I am flustered. I throw a 50% pot bet, both call. Aces cracked. Jackass #1 hits two pair on the river with his 10 8 o. Jackass #2 had J 9 suited and hit the straight on the river 7 to J and wins hand. Once again, i get ripped, this time for misplaying my aces, and people are praising the river rat for his "brilliant" play.

Needless to say I was upset. I wanted to take revenge. And in retrospect, as discouraging as this seemed at the time, it was all a set up for table domination. I was at a table full of chasers and calling stations. To boot, they all thought I was a bluffer based on the one hand. Ironically, I seldom bluff.

Soon after, people were calling my over pair w/nut kicker with their underpair. People were calling my all in 2 pair with an over with their over. People were calling my straight all-ins with an overpair. One poor bastard rivered a flush when I rivered a boat. I bet to put him all in. The entire table was egging him on saying I was FOS. He called.

I must have made several people reload 2 to 3 times and chased a few away. Three and half hours and $350 later I felt vindicated and left the table.
zemidjan_99 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2004, 2:30am   #8
Chr1z
Fish

Chr1z

Table image is an extrmely useful tool...

I don't play online, because you cant read people.... I think poker was meant to be played live.... ITs just not exciting online. Anyway.... usually what happens is, early in the game, I will attempt a bluff with some horrible cards to try and steal the pot.... I am always called on this bluff, but thats exactly what I want to happen... I never make it where I'm pushing all my chips in with a 7 deuce off-suit..... but I like for them to think that I am absolutely insane early in the game..... This means that for the rest of the game, they will just say "You're full of shit" every single time..... This just happened last night, and no joke I landed a ton of pocket pairs, and everytime I did I would actually tell them what I was holding, and they refused to believe me. "You lying peice of shit.... I call" Its wonderful.... I find it more fun telling the truth at poker and no one believing you, than lying about what you have....... again.... table image is an extremely useful tool...........
Chr1z est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2004, 3:17am   #9
Notjitsu
Professional

Online players definitely have tells. Long pauses, auto-bets, bet pot, allin, odd amounts, table talk...etc.

Sure you can't stare at the person with the sunglasses and the hat pulled down, but there is still a lot of things to be seen.
Old Sep 26, 2004, 7:28pm   #10
vegasholdem
Brunson

vegasholdem
Default tilt

I luv to pick on the poor saps on Tilt....like takin' candy from a baby...
vegasholdem est déconnecté   Reply With Quote