THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Nov 13, 2004, 8:41pm   #1
123money321
Doyle Look-alike

123money321 will become famous soon enough123money321 will become famous soon enough
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!
Default AA pre-flop strategy

k...heres my Aces strategy pre-flop. It seems to work for me, because I almost never get beaten. My strategy is, weather im playing 5 people or 9 others, i bet big enough pre-flop so that ONLY ONE other person will see the flop with me. This means im less likely to be beaten by a bad hand. This strategy isn't perfect, but it seems to work for me. What to you guys think?

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Nov 13, 2004, 8:44pm   #2
packattack88
Grinder

packattack88 is on a distinguished road

Could you be more specific? How much are you betting compared to the blind structure. If you're betting more than 5X the BB, it's likely that you won't get a caller, however, you can't bet a set amount every time preflop and expect to always get exactly one caller.
Old Nov 13, 2004, 10:49pm   #3
Notjitsu
Professional

Notjitsu will become famous soon enoughNotjitsu will become famous soon enough

You don't win at poker by winning the most hands, you win at poker by winning the most money.

The fear of being beat should be erased by the desire to take all their money.
Notjitsu est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2004, 2:08pm   #4
123money321
Doyle Look-alike

123money321 will become famous soon enough123money321 will become famous soon enough
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

I realize that, but if im just calling, or putting in a small raise, im probobly going to have 3 people seeing the flop with me. This means some one is likely to pick up 2 pair, set, etc.

Ex. If im playing 10 handed, pre-flop i will put in a raise of about 4X the big blind. Depending on position and the people in front of me, it may change slightly.
Old Nov 14, 2004, 3:25pm   #5
packattack88
Grinder

packattack88 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123money321
I realize that, but if im just calling, or putting in a small raise, im probobly going to have 3 people seeing the flop with me. This means some one is likely to pick up 2 pair, set, etc.

Ex. If im playing 10 handed, pre-flop i will put in a raise of about 4X the big blind. Depending on position and the people in front of me, it may change slightly.
That's fine...but what tells you that you're going to get exactly one caller?
Old Nov 16, 2004, 12:37am   #6
puddles
Flop Artist

puddles

It depends on the table.

FROM EARLY POSITION....
If the pot is usually being raised pre-flop, I'll just call the blind. I'm hoping someone will raise behind me so I can re-raise on the next go-round. And when I do re-raise, I usually push all-in. I would rather win a few blinds pre-flop with A-A than see a flop with it and get them cracked, because I know I'm NOT very good at laying down that hand. So I'd rather get my money in up front when I know I'm ahead, and play out the whole shootin' match if someone wants to call.

If I just call in early position and no one raises, then it depends a whole lot on how many people are in the pot (and less on what cards flop). But in general, I slow down a bit and try to remind myself that with 4 or 5 people in the pot AA isn't NEARLY as good a hand after the flop comes out (unless it hits, but you asked about pre-flop). I'll usually bet to try to at least narrow the field, and try to read somebody's draw.

FROM LATE POSITION....
If the pot's not raised yet, I raise at least the size of the pot. Maybe more. If I get reraised, then we're going all-in. An exception to this would be if I've seen another guy re-raising previously after someone raises the blind. In that case I'd put in a smaller raise hoping he'll re-raise me, so I can push all-in THEN.

But in general, I play AA to get all my money in the pot, but to do so EARLY in the hand. I don't want to give some jackhole a cheap peek so he can beat me with Q-7o. If I can't get it all in there early, then I'd rather give them up and lose a small pot rather than going broke in a 4-way shootout. And if I get in with 3 other people, I'm likely to lose a LOT of money because I'm NOT very good at laying AA down unless it's a really obviously scary board.

puddles