THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Dec 08, 2004, 9:07pm   #1
123money321
Doyle Look-alike

123money321 will become famous soon enough123money321 will become famous soon enough
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!
Default Play more hands?

Let me start by saying that I think of myself as a fairly tight player. I play NL Holdem with a group of about 10 friends. These 10 guys are pretty new to poker, and don't play well at all. Does this mean I should start playing more hands? I think if I do so, I can bluff guys out of some pots, and take home more money at the end of the night. Is this true? Should I play more hands against less skilled players?

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Dec 08, 2004, 9:40pm   #2
JamesB
River Rat

JamesB

If they're less skill then most likely they're playing loose. When they're playing loose you should play tighter. This is basic strategy (out of one of the Sklansky books I have) Also, *THAT* will let you bluff them out of more hands. The reason is they'll see you as a tight player so when you do get in then they'll assume you have better cards than what they typically play with. Especially when A and/or K flops...they'll figure that you've probably got one or both since you typically only play good hands.

If you play as loose as them then you're not going to be able to bluff them out of much because chances are they're going to chase many hands that they shouldn't.
JamesB est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 08, 2004, 10:59pm   #3
123money321
Doyle Look-alike

123money321 will become famous soon enough123money321 will become famous soon enough
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Never thought of it that way. Thanks James
Old Dec 11, 2004, 4:35pm   #4
123money321
Doyle Look-alike

Any1 else have any comments on weather to play more hands against less skilled players?
Old Dec 11, 2004, 6:05pm   #5
packattack88
Grinder

packattack88 is on a distinguished road

What james said....tighten up against looser players.
Old Dec 12, 2004, 2:40am   #6
Notjitsu
Professional

Notjitsu will become famous soon enoughNotjitsu will become famous soon enough

I'm going to be contrary.

I say loosen up if you are playing loose players.

Why? Because they pay you off better if you hit. Therefore your implied odds go through the roof.

If you have a king high flush draw for example...if you are playing against a table of good players, if you make the flush they will either get away from the hand, or they will have the ace high flush.

If you are playing bad players. They will pay you off with lesser hands, and may even have a worse flush (which they will 100% pay you off with).

My theory has always been...if I'm better than you and we play the same cards, I will win money from you. So I'll still make the money on the premium hands, but if I loosen up and play some hands I normally wouldn't, but they definitely would...I should be making money on those hands too, because I play them better.

So I say play tighter than them, but definitely play a lot of the cutesy hands that you normally wouldn't. t8s, 78, kxs, those type of things.
Notjitsu est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2004, 2:42am   #7
Notjitsu
Professional

Notjitsu will become famous soon enoughNotjitsu will become famous soon enough

James, I think that advice about tightening up against loose players may be in reference to only limit poker.

I'm not aware of any nolimit poker books written by sklansky.
Notjitsu est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2004, 2:57am   #8
geometry
Brunson

geometry

i agree with notjitsu if and only if you are disciplined enough to fold if you dot hit hard. one think with loose players is that they call everything so your two pair may get busted when they hit trips on the river even though you have been betting very heavily. you just have to know when to get away. otherwise i actually think its ok to see more flops.
geometry est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2004, 3:19am   #9
manutdfan1
Grinder

manutdfan1 is on a distinguished road

Notjitsu makes a good point about the implied odds with loose players. The term 'cutesy hands' is kinda funny.
manutdfan1 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2004, 5:59am   #10
vitaltilt
Grinder

vitaltilt

I'd suggest starting out by playing tight, then playing a little looser and bluffing on the flop when you have a chip lead advantage.

But, yeah, playing tight against loose callers is the best strategy.

In my opinion.
vitaltilt est déconnecté   Reply With Quote