THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Dec 13, 2004, 6:59pm   #11
123money321
Doyle Look-alike

123money321 will become famous soon enough123money321 will become famous soon enough
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

My thinking was with notjitsu, but both sides make good points.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Dec 14, 2004, 1:31am   #12
Notjitsu
Professional

Notjitsu will become famous soon enoughNotjitsu will become famous soon enough

NL Poker is a funny game.

Take packattack and myself.

We play almost completely the opposite, and yet we are both successful at the tables. There really is no right way to play...that I know of any way.
Notjitsu est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2004, 12:44pm   #13
JamesB
River Rat

JamesB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjitsu
James, I think that advice about tightening up against loose players may be in reference to only limit poker.

I'm not aware of any nolimit poker books written by sklansky.

You are correct, the book I was referring to was a limit book. I took it as a general strategy though, but I can see your side of it. Another indicator that it would be good to loosen up at this game is if the players are not aggressive. You find that often with new players...however some new players are overly aggressive and in that case I don't think it'd be very wise to loosen up. Just because, as most of you know, new players are often calling stations. They let you set the bet. If they're not letting you set the bets then you're not in as much control and I think playing tight is smarter.

Of course, if they are overly aggressive and you play tight then you're going to dull their aggressiveness somewhat whenever you do show strength so that is another downside you have to consider. This is where playing tight will let you steal more pots though. JMHO
JamesB est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2004, 7:01pm   #14
123money321
Doyle Look-alike

123money321 will become famous soon enough123money321 will become famous soon enough
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

None of the guys I play with are very aggressive. Most of them play passive, but tend to call WAY to much.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 2:51pm   #15
Lindy
Doyle Look-alike

Lindy

Playing Loose is fine against Weak Players. But a Loose passive calling staion, can be dangerous. I think If you are going to do so, you need to be careful, on your betting style, and keep your betting lower than you might against stronger (better players).

Basically I mean, your preflop play can loosen up, but your post flop play should tighten up alittle (unless you hold a good one)

I Play with some friends ever other week. Granted we play Tournaments style NL-Holdem so it is alittle Different, but the first few weeks, I was killing myself, by betting right into there hands. I would bet out to the river, while a guy with 2 pair or a set (one guy even floped a boat, and never reraised my set the whole hand) would call the whole time, never a reraise, or any hint he had a hand, even on the river. I was playing way to agressive for playing with a bunch of calling stations, cause I never had an indication that I might be beat.

Just food for thought.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 10:30pm   #16
Yads
Doyle Look-alike

Yads

Guys, NL has enough implied odds as it is. You only need to worry about implied odds based on the number of players in limit poker. As a general rule in No Limit tighten up when the table is loose, and loosen up when the table is tight.

Also if you are saying these guys are new to poker then you're probably not going to be able to bluff them since you can only usually bluff good players.
Yads est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2004, 1:36am   #17
Notjitsu
Professional

Notjitsu will become famous soon enoughNotjitsu will become famous soon enough

Implied odds are the entire basis for playing starting hands. You can never overstate the importance of implied odds in NL poker.
Notjitsu est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2004, 5:07pm   #18
123money321
Doyle Look-alike

Sorry I didnt at that in on the Post, but we play NL Holdem Tournaments.
Old Feb 03, 2005, 3:40am   #19
thebric
Brunson

thebric

ABSOLUTELY PLAY MORE HANDS

think about it, on average you win when you play. if you play 20 hands in a session you will only win a small amount. but if you play 30 hands in a session, your better skill will allow you to win more pots. obviously, don't play these extra hands too loose. but by just slightly loosening up, you are giving yourself a much bigger advantage
thebric est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 03, 2005, 6:13pm   #20
special k
Fish

special k
Send a message via AIM to special k

Looks like you got plenty of good advice already. Here's one thing I've noticed from playing tournaments with newbies...
You can loosen up a little, don't get crazy, and they will usually make obvious plays. The problem is trying to bluff at them, they just don't get it...
special k est déconnecté   Reply With Quote