THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > Strategy > Limit Hold'em and Miscellaneous Strategy

Old Jan 25, 2005, 11:28pm   #1
lilsewon
Doyle Look-alike

lilsewon
Send a message via AIM to lilsewon
Default What is the best strategy to win consistently?

Hi guys. Been playing poker for less than a year, and recently got into Limit ring games, hearing that you can build a nice bankroll this way. Usually in the long run I pretty much break even. I've went from $100 to $300, but have also gone back down. Swings are great.

I would like to ask those that were able to consistently build a bankroll, in the fewest sentences possible, what is the KEY strategy to playing good limit hold em. I know this is probably very complex and there is no one answer. However, any key things to take into account when playing limit games would be great. (ex. always play pairs if cheap, always play suited connectors when lots of callers, always fold if 3 or more players and you didn't hit a draw or anything, etc.) Not saying these are things I should do, but just examples of things I'm kind of looking for.

Or if there's not much strategy, just gotta play smart, that's understandable, too. Thanks to any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Jan 26, 2005, 3:21am   #2
Hoss Man
Doyle Look-alike

Hoss Man is on a distinguished road

I don't think you can call any strategy the best since loose tables and tight tables are played differently.

One thing that I can not recommend enough though, is taking player notes, and watching what the preflop raiser plays and in what position; EVEN WHEN YOU ARE NOT IN THE HAND. Knowing the loose maniac and tight aggressive players will help you know when to check, call, reraise or drop your hand.
Old Jan 26, 2005, 3:28am   #3
MT
Brunson

MT

Hey d00d,

I just started playing Hold'em over the holidays, so I am relatively new to the game, but I think the following points are quite valid (if they are not, any senior members can go ahead an correct me):

- The key to winning anything consistently is to give yourself an edge over your opponent(s). Your right, Swings will happen, but this is really not that big of a deal as long as you have a solid strategy, and you stick to it even when things aren't looking so good.

- Know who you are playing against, by studying and learning the game you will better be able to judge other players and realise who is making mistakes at the table, and who are solid playes. The key is to capitalize on and exploit the mistakes of other players, this is how you will make your money in the long run.

- Track your poker statistics ruthlessly, and even make notes on specific sessions if need be. This is the only way to truely know if you have been, or are being successful in the long run. Be honest with yourself, if you have a terrible day that takes a huge bite into your bankroll, faithfully enter the stats into your stats sheet, knowing that in the long run if you are playing solid poker everything will even out.

- Learn pot odds, expected value, position strategy, and how to play against specific types of players and at specific limits.

- Read some books. Einstien once said something to the effect of "If I have been able to see so far into the distance, it is because I have stood on the shoulders of Giants". Don't be afraid to consult the experts, I'm convinced that most people don't because from what I've seen in my short time playing poker, most players are really horrible and not willing to put the effort and time and practice into learning (although this is the case with most things in general).

As far as Learning and reading goes, I have a few suggestions, because this is what I have done so far to improve my grasp of the game, and my skill level:

- Read through the Strategy section on this website, even if you know most of it, it's a good refresher, and just double check that you know the basic concepts.

- Read David Slansky's "Hold'em Poker" (It's only about 95 pages, I read it in 2 days and it has improved my game DRASTICALLY). It's a basic book, but if you haven't read it then you are most likely missing out on somre really really important basics that you need to create a solid foundation.

- From there Im not really sure where to go, practice practice practice perhaps? re-read slansky's hold'em poker? maybe move onto some more advanced poker books?

Also, I think that Discipline is key (as it is when you want to master any art, sport, science, etc...). Have a plan, stick to your plan, be solid and don't become to fixed on the outcome of any one session (meaning don't become too overconfident and don't become to underconfident).

Be Objective, know how your playing the game, where you are making mistakes, and fix as many leaks in your game as is possible. Be ruthlessly honest with yourself, but don't get mad at yourself for making mistakes, this is how we learn in life and in most every activity we pursue.

But if there is one thing I think you should do right this minute? Review the strategy on this website, and then order David Slansky's "Hold'em Poker".

take care!
MT.
MT est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2005, 3:49am   #4
Hustlr
║▌║█║▌║▌││║▌║

Hustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via ICQ to Hustlr Send a message via AIM to Hustlr

MT, I am pretty sure that is a new record-length post.
Hustlr est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2005, 4:27am   #5
Notjitsu
Professional

Notjitsu will become famous soon enoughNotjitsu will become famous soon enough

One sentence: Keep it simple.

To expound a bit, at the lower levels, your opponents will make enough mistakes where you playing a completely bland predictable straightforward by the book game will make consistent money.

Bet when you have it, fold when you don't.
Notjitsu est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2005, 5:06am   #6
MT
Brunson

MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustlr
MT, I am pretty sure that is a new record-length post.
heheh... I had just finished doing about 3 hours of writing (tiz what I do to pay the rent), and was absolutely on fire at the keyboard, so it all just kinda fell out of my ass like a stinky piece of verbal diarreah turd... Plus I just finished reading Slansky's "Hold'em" today, so I had a few things running through my head. ;)

Big Ups! (in your bankroll that is)
MT.
Old Jan 26, 2005, 12:04pm   #7
vitaltilt
Grinder

vitaltilt

Quote:
I had just finished doing about 3 hours of writing (tiz what I do to pay the rent), and was absolutely on fire at the keyboard, so it all just kinda fell out of my ass like a stinky piece of verbal diarreah turd...
So you're a poet?

Lol, sorry, I just couldn't resist.
vitaltilt est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2005, 12:50pm   #8
DJDave
Doyle Look-alike

DJDave

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." is a quote from a letter written by Sir Isaac Newton

sorry for this pedantic post

DJDave est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2005, 4:27pm   #9
MT
Brunson

MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDave
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." is a quote from a letter written by Sir Isaac Newton

sorry for this pedantic post

Hey hey... no worries at all, I knew It was one of those crazy science bastards I remember seeing the quote a while back but couldn't recall the exactness of it.

cheers for the info, mucho appreciato

MT.
Old Jan 26, 2005, 6:57pm   #10
Yads
Doyle Look-alike

Yads

The key is to play against players that play worse and make more mistakes than you.
Yads est déconnecté   Reply With Quote