THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Jan 31, 2005, 9:25pm   #1
123money321
Doyle Look-alike

123money321 will become famous soon enough123money321 will become famous soon enough
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!
Default Small Pairs

Recently I have read a few books on NL and Limit Holdem. Most of these books tell me not to play any pocket pair lower than 7's unless your in late position.

But the other night at a home tournament, I was dealt 2's in Middle Position. blinds were 50/100 and I had about $2200. No callers behind me. So I call. Everyone folds to SB who calls, BB checks. The flop comes [2 10 J] rainbow. I check SB has $500, and bets $100, BB folds. I take him All-in, he calls with JQ. I busted him. I usually dont play pairs lower than 5s, but this got me thinking, should I start playing every small pair I get in EP and MP for the implied odds? And if so, should I come in with a raise? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Jan 31, 2005, 9:34pm   #2
123money321
Doyle Look-alike

123money321 will become famous soon enough123money321 will become famous soon enough
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Sorry, just wanted to add 1 thing...What is your personal preferenece in playing these types of hands, if you choose to play them?
Old Jan 31, 2005, 9:47pm   #3
jgtIII
Brunson

jgtIII

I think they are ok to play from most any position in a passive game. But if I'm in a game where there is a pre-flop raise over 1/2 the time, I might even fold 77 and 88 from UTG. I sometimes will bluff with low pairs from most any position and play like AA if I'm in a Tourny, but not so much in ring games.
jgtIII est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 01, 2005, 3:20am   #4
Lindy
Doyle Look-alike

Lindy

I will normally play all pocet pairs.....If someone raises, and they have alot of chips, i will call them with PP.....IMPLIED ODDS
Old Feb 01, 2005, 4:07am   #5
72os
Flop Artist

72os

depends on the players to your right. I don't like playing small PPs from early position/mid position if there is an aggressive raiser to my right and if there haven't been a lot of multiway pots.

Play low PP for trip value. That requires limping pre-flop and folding if you do not hit. (This may not always be true for tournament strategy).
72os est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 01, 2005, 5:27am   #6
playactn
Doyle Look-alike

playactn

Yes, I'll call a lot of preflop raises with PP, esp. if the raiser has a ton of chips and there aren't maniac raisers behind me. You will win a nice pot if you flop trips - and if the raiser is very tight, you can attempt a move on the flop/turn even if you don't hit.

I find I win a helluva lot more big pots with low PP, connectors (suited or not), even one gappers - esp. against people who cannot lay down top or over pair.
playactn est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 01, 2005, 10:50am   #7
vitaltilt
Grinder

vitaltilt

Yeah, Notjitsu has a great post somewhere on here about playing pocket pairs -- basically, if the raiser's chipstack = 10x the raise ... then go ahead and play it for the implied odds value.

However, there is a lot of variables at stake here. Of course you want a thin field (heads up or 3 way preferably) -- though a large multi-way pot with a minimum to medium raise will also do the trick. And, you want to be able to win a huge pot (preferably double up or all-in your opponent).

PS - From my experience, this isn't going to work at limit tables because of the cap on how much one can win, and esp at loose limit tables due to the large number of str8 and flush chasers.
vitaltilt est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 01, 2005, 6:55pm   #8
123money321
Doyle Look-alike

But if I was playing a PP for trip value, wouldn't I want as many people in the hand with me as possible? This way, will I not increase my winnings if I flop a set?
Old Feb 01, 2005, 9:29pm   #9
packattack88
Grinder

packattack88 is on a distinguished road

Definitely 123, as viltatilt needs to be corrected here. With low pocket pairs, you either want to isolate to make it heads up, or you want as many people seeing the flop as possible.
Old Feb 01, 2005, 11:42pm   #10
123money321
Doyle Look-alike

So if I am in M-L Position, and their are no callers, should I raise this hand 3XBB, or just call?