THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > Strategy > No-Limit Hold'em Ring Games

Old Mar 02, 2005, 7:14pm   #1
NYMike
Flop Artist

NYMike
Default How to play low suited connectors and unsuited connectors

I have a question. After reading Super Sytem (and Ozone's very nice cliff notes version :), Brunson makes the point that low suited connectors and to a lesser extent unsuited connectors are quite powerful hands in terms of winning big pots.

The question I have is, how to play these hands? It's easy enough to just limp in from an early position, or potentially call a very small raise in a late position (say 2xBB). But I'm curious whether people play these hands more aggressively, in terms of calling big raises and even raising themselves? Are you trying to isolate a few players, or have as many in the pot as possible?

I'd love to hear any suggestions. Thanks!
NYMike est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Mar 03, 2005, 1:34am   #2
killcrazy
Apex Predator

killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

you should neither be limping from early position nor calling raises from any position with small connectors.

Kc
killcrazy est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 03, 2005, 2:56am   #3
packattack88
Grinder

packattack88 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by killcrazy
you should neither be limping from early position nor calling raises from any position with small connectors.

Kc
Kill, I posted a hand history about small suited connectors in the specific hands strategy section.

These hands have huge implied odds and in no limit, it's not all about the cards, it's about position. There is nothing wrong with raising with these hands from ep, or calling raises with them because they can win you such a large pot.
Old Mar 03, 2005, 5:12am   #4
ensign_lee
Brunson

ensign_lee

...just make sure you let go when the pot odds are no longer there or when you TOTALLY miss the flop.
Old Mar 04, 2005, 10:56am   #5
vitaltilt
Grinder

vitaltilt

Unsuited connectors (other than AK, KQ) are something else entirely, hopefully someone who plays them can post, lol.

Suited connectors, esp low ones, are something to be played cautiously but are also a healthy portion of one's NL arsenal. In my opinion, these are great in late position and in a medium multiway pot (4 to 5 players). Before I go further, I would like to stress that my post will focus on lower level NL ring games on loose sites like empire/party/etc. At these places one needs to be cautious when hitting their draws because many opponents play AX and KX suited strictly for the flush draw, and any two high cards (JT, QT, QJ, etc) -- and they chase with them. So when you hit your flush, be wary of the A or K flush and when you hit that str8, be wary if the top str8 is in play. Though with only 4 players in the pot, once can be a bit more confident when the draw hits. However, these tables can have 6 and 7 players in a pot at times.

Others, like Pack, play suited connectors very aggressively. However, this may be at higher levels and at tighter sites -- so when the draw hits, one can have more confidence in it. Also, one needs to have good post flop skills in playing suited connectors aggresively and in small to headsup pots. Many novices (myself included) do not have the post flop skills yet or are just uncomfortable with playing these type of hands very aggressively.

Well, just my 2 cents.
vitaltilt est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 06, 2005, 10:25am   #6
killcrazy
Apex Predator

killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by packattack88
Quote:
Originally Posted by killcrazy

Kc
Kill, I posted a hand history about small suited connectors in the specific hands strategy section.

These hands have huge implied odds and in no limit, it's not all about the cards, it's about position. There is nothing wrong with raising with these hands from ep, or calling raises with them because they can win you such a large pot.
Guess I must be wrong then.

Kc
Old Mar 06, 2005, 3:08pm   #7
packattack88
Grinder

packattack88 is on a distinguished road

In my opinion, you are. However, if we're playing limit hold'em, then yes, these cards are junk for the most part.
Old Mar 06, 2005, 4:27pm   #8
killcrazy
Apex Predator

and you're welcome to it. everyone has the right to be wrong.

Kc
Old Mar 07, 2005, 12:35am   #9
Godster
Brunson

Godster

KC,
you seem like an okay sort and you definitely have some interesting things to say about the game.
But you are one ornery bugger!!!

You almost automatically take a contrary position to any previous post.

It's entertaining and all that, but what are the odds that every time you read a post you are in disagreement w/ other players...?!
Just statistically speaking.

Hope this hasn't rubbed you up the wrong way, it wasn't meant to.
I had just noticed the trend and I wondered if you were aware of it? Whether it was intentional because you only post wehn in dissagreement? Something like that?

Regards.
Old Mar 07, 2005, 2:02am   #10
Notjitsu
Professional

Notjitsu will become famous soon enoughNotjitsu will become famous soon enough

56s and such play very well vs. hands that others raise with.

Everyhand that I'm looking for a very specific flop or nothing at all, I prefer playing against people with strong hands. Preferably for a raise before the flop.
Notjitsu est déconnecté   Reply With Quote