THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Mar 03, 2005, 10:31pm   #1
123money321
Doyle Look-alike

123money321 will become famous soon enough123money321 will become famous soon enough
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!
Default AK- build or isolate?

Heres the Situation...

Sinlge-Table Tourny..Still in the first few hands. Avg stack-$1500 Blinds- 10/20

Your dealt AKo on BB

2 callers Plus SB who limps in.

How should I play this? Should I make it $50 ($30 more) to build the pot? Or should I raise it to about $75 (55 more) to attempt to isolate this into a 2 or 3 way pot?

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Mar 03, 2005, 11:57pm   #2
packattack88
Grinder

packattack88 is on a distinguished road

I would raise it to 85. Raising to 50 is pretty much pointless because everyone will call and you'd rather take this hand 2 or 3 to the flop so you can bluff if you miss the flop.
Old Mar 04, 2005, 12:08am   #3
123money321
Doyle Look-alike

123money321 will become famous soon enough123money321 will become famous soon enough
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

But is taking everyone (3 callers) to the flop always a bad thing? Won't I make more money by building the pot up, so that if I hit an Ace or King I can (usually) win a larger pot?
Old Mar 04, 2005, 12:13am   #4
Kazz
Grinder

Kazz is on a distinguished road

I would make a bigger raise or just check. Raising to 50 from the BB with several people behind you is usually just giving someone else a bigger pot when they take it away from you.

If you check you can get away cheap if you don't hit, and if you do you might get action from a weaker hand that would fold if you'd raised preflop, but you may get into a lot of trouble against some junk that someone limped with too, so you should be prepared to fold if you think someone did hit better than you. At least you should be able to fold this without putting too many chips in.

If you raise more, you have to be more aggressive and you may win a lot, or you may lose a lot...but at least you have a decent chance of winning if you limit the field. You'll be out of position though, so if you give up control of the hand you could easily lose to a bluff or let someone outdraw you for free, and if get too aggressive you may dump all your chips on Ace high...

Either way, trying to build the pot by making a small raise out of position with AKo is a bad idea. I wouldn't even recommend it if you had pocket Aces.
Kazz est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 04, 2005, 12:20am   #5
AJDMB05
Brunson

AJDMB05

There's a reason they call AK the "walking back to Houston" or something along the lines to suggest that more people go broke with AK than any other hand (I'd argue A-A, since we know you either win small or lose it all).

Early on in a SNG in the BB, I'd raise to $50. Just the right amount. You'll have a pretty good idea of who's going to call, and there's a chance of isolating vs. a weaker paint hand. If you raise more and get re-raised, there's a good chance you're racing a pocket pair or worse, unless someone is really married to their A-J or A-Q.

A-K isn't going to win much in a long-handed pot unless you hit big, and if you raise too much and get re-raised, you're going to have to find a way to get away from the hand. Don't become too attached to the hand if your raising attempt gets 5 callers, even if you hit an A or K, the straights and flushes could still be drawing against you, and I absolutely hate committing a lot of money to a pot with A-K on the strength of a pair.
Old Mar 04, 2005, 12:48am   #6
packattack88
Grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123money321
But is taking everyone (3 callers) to the flop always a bad thing? Won't I make more money by building the pot up, so that if I hit an Ace or King I can (usually) win a larger pot?
No, because you're not going to win a big pot with top pair. You're letting other people in with weaker hands get a cheap draw, and win a medium or big sized pot off you.
Old Mar 04, 2005, 12:50am   #7
packattack88
Grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJDMB05
Early on in a SNG in the BB, I'd raise to $50. Just the right amount. You'll have a pretty good idea of who's going to call, and there's a chance of isolating vs. a weaker paint hand. If you raise more and get re-raised, there's a good chance you're racing a pocket pair or worse, unless someone is really married to their A-J or A-Q.
Raising to $50 is pretty much useless. Why build the pot when nobody is going to fold to this raise, and you're only going to flop an A or a K 33% of the time, and it's going to be hard to bluff with all those people in the flop is you miss.
Old Mar 04, 2005, 10:16am   #8
vitaltilt
Grinder

vitaltilt

Yeah, what Pack said.

I think building the pot with AKs is wrong as well, but here one has the flush value. Still, AKu or AKs is something one should get headsup (or as close to heads up as possible).
vitaltilt est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 06, 2005, 9:28am   #9
killcrazy
Apex Predator

killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

I'd check.

If you hit you'll get paid for it, unless you do something dumb like open jam

mmm, open jam *wanders to kitchen*

Kc
killcrazy est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 06, 2005, 9:28am   #10
killcrazy
Apex Predator

killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

oh, and if you hit a very low flop you might be able to steal it, cos yer in the blinds and could have anything, innit

Kc, again
killcrazy est déconnecté   Reply With Quote