THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Mar 09, 2005, 10:46pm   #1
AJDMB05
Brunson

AJDMB05
Default Bad laydown?

In a $2+$.25 SNG on Absolute, still early on, blinds are $25-$50, and I have about $1300 in chips with 8 at the table. I raise to $150 at EP+1 with Q-Q and get two callers, EP and someone near MP. The flop comes A-Q-3. I made the hand that I set out to hit. I bet out $200, and immediately get raised all-in. I figure I'm going to go with the hand, still waiting on EP when HE moves all-in shortly (MP and EP had similar stacks, both of which covered me by $100 or so.).

I immediately start thinking one of them has A-A. I didn't stop to consider that an A-A would've re-raised pre-flop, but remembered being just-called by A-A in the past. Not knowing much about these guys I should've just went with it, but it was early on. I think you can see where this is going. I folded, MP showed 3-3 and EP showed A-K. 3-3 won with the set.

Would anyone care to make me feel better and say they would've laid it down also?

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Mar 09, 2005, 11:03pm   #2
Notjitsu
Professional

Notjitsu will become famous soon enoughNotjitsu will become famous soon enough

I have never laid down a set (using a PP) on a flop without 3 of a suit, or a straight possibility ever.
Notjitsu est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 09, 2005, 11:06pm   #3
XA_kid
The Doyle

XA_kid is on a distinguished road

Sorry to break it to you, but it would be a cold day in hell before I would lay down a set on a flop like that. Plus, since it's a SnG, you win you have good chip position. You would have finished the hand with 3900 in chips which would be either put you at having either more than a third of the chips or more than a fifth of the chips at the table (depending if it was 1000 or 1500 to start with).
XA_kid est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 09, 2005, 11:23pm   #4
AJDMB05
Brunson

AJDMB05

Yeah, 1500 to start. It was one of those things, usually when I have to take the whole 20 seconds to think, calling puts me at the losing end of the hand, and something didn't feel right at all. I never would've folded to MP's re-raise alone, even though I was feeling strength from him to begin with, the over-the-top plus another over-the-top had me thinking, what would someone be moving in with in this situation, and I didn't even begin to consider A-Q or 3-3 or A-K, all of which I had dominated.

I ended up taking third, and the swings were so drastic I can't imagine it would've given me the win. I guess that's what I'll keep telling myself.
Old Mar 10, 2005, 10:49am   #5
killcrazy
Apex Predator

killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

I'd beat them into the pot.

no question.

AQ3 is a perfect flop for you, and its most likely both these guys have ace-something.

Kc
killcrazy est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2005, 4:47pm   #6
balefire97
Flop Artist

balefire97
Send a message via AIM to balefire97

Unless the player was really dumb he would have re-raised with AA. The only problem i would have had with putting chips in that pot would be the fact that i didn't have more. To give you credit however the fact that you can laydown QQQ when you think that you opponent has AAA shows that you are a very good player, maybe too tight, but good.
balefire97 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2005, 8:19pm   #7
Hoss Man
Doyle Look-alike

Hoss Man is on a distinguished road

Sorry dude. You scream "cha-ching", call the all-ins and move on the the next $2 SNG if you get out flopped or out drawn.
Old Mar 11, 2005, 1:41am   #8
AJDMB05
Brunson

AJDMB05

Thanks for being honest everyone... Hoss, you're right, the odds of losing that hand are so slim that it really doesn't warrant a fold ever, I'd win more money in that scenario far more than I'd run up against an A-A. I'm definitely a tighter player, but that's the first time I've made a laydown like that without considering how an A-A would've played the hand.

Truthfully unless I've got the stone cold nuts I'm always a little worried with big hands since they cost you the most money just as much as they win you the most money. That truly started the day I lost with quad nines... oh boy.

Thanks again everyone.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 9:56pm   #9
goalscorer
River Rat

goalscorer

I ended up taking third, and the swings were so drastic I can't imagine it would've given me the win. I guess that's what I'll keep telling myself.

Trippling up would have won you more money in the end, assuming all other factors in the game remained the same. I'm not being rude (so please don't take it that way), but saying that that pot would not have made a difference could not be further from the truth. It seems like an excuse to make the terrible laydown not seem as bad as it was. You also would have knocked two people out. One of those two, by the way you described them playing that hand, probably donated chips to your opponents at some point, and two of those opponents finished ahead of you in the tournament. We all live and learn!!

Goodluck!!,
GS
Old Mar 14, 2005, 10:44pm   #10
Ozone
The One Who Knocks

Ozone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ozone

Man, this play is wayyy too tight IMO. I wouldn't make this fold in a $200 SNG, let alone a $2 SNG. Put the chips in man. These are the hands you're looking for. A monster set with lots of action.

"How do I become more pro? I gotta learn math?" - fuedallord
Ozone est déconnecté   Reply With Quote