THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Apr 08, 2005, 6:55pm   #1
Hoss Man
Doyle Look-alike

Hoss Man is on a distinguished road
Default Short-Handed Rut

I'm in a bit of a rut lately with my short-handed limit game. More downs than ups, but I wouldn't consider it a major downswing per se.

I've been running into a fair number of hands lately where my top pair good kicker (KJo Preflop raise) gets rivered by someone playing his small pair crappy kicker (46s in the BB) to the river for two pair. These hands are costing me more than my winning hands are taking in. And it seems like ATSWD/Any-one-gapped-connectors-will-do are played ALOT at shorthanded with folks playing more for the wacky two pair or trips on the river.

My question is:
What is most important to get through these spells of being out drawn. I mean EV should swing back your way sometime you'd think.

River betting in particular. Should you fire first if the board hasn't helped you into a set or two pair (with your top/over pair) by the river? Or check. If you bet he may fold, but I mean that is 2 BBs (his re-raise) if he hit his two pair to beat you.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Apr 09, 2005, 12:25am   #2
killcrazy
Apex Predator

killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

"Hmm"

Golden nugget of advice #47 - if you raise preflop and miss, the best place for you to try and steal it is on the turn.

In my experience

Kc
killcrazy est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2005, 1:22am   #3
Hoss Man
Doyle Look-alike

Hoss Man is on a distinguished road

Actually I made the flop, the other person just had a small pair and drew to the river.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 7:49am   #4
robowen
Flop Artist

robowen

this has happened to me a lot lately too playing at .50/1, so I'm not sure if this would be the same at a higher level. Usually if someone calls me all the way to the river when I have top pair I check/call, it's quite a negative thing to do I think but the way I look is that if you are beat you've just saved yourself 1 bb and loads of people try to steal a pot on the river anyway even when you've been betting all the way, so chances are if you are winning you won't miss out on that extra bet anyway.
robowen est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2005, 4:15pm   #5
JoseY
River Rat

JoseY

example: u have KTo
flop: K93 rainbow
fish: 35s
turn:J
river:5

u have to raise with your top pair, the chance that he will make two pair or trips is the same like yours, but if he misses and u misses too u win the pot, thats why u will win on long term with top pair against those fish "techniques"
dont worry about some outdrawings because these bad players give u the money if they miss their unlikely draws
Old May 25, 2005, 5:49pm   #6
weknowhowtolive
Doyle Look-alike

weknowhowtolive
Send a message via Yahoo to weknowhowtolive

Are you playing really tight shorthanded? Usually you wanna play a few more hands when playing shorthand. In longhand you can afford to play tight, but in shorthand, the blinds will kill you.
weknowhowtolive est déconnecté   Reply With Quote