THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Apr 19, 2005, 6:17am   #1
TwoHeadedOgr
Fish

TwoHeadedOgr
Default Need help, Binds keep killing me.

I know i'm doing something wrong but I can't really put my finger on it. I don't call on any hands unless there Teir 1 or 2 but the problem I'm having is that the good hands just don't come around fast enough, and eventually the Bind whittles my Bankroll to nothing.

Everyonce in a while I'll get a good hand and win a round, but the wining's can't stop the bind that keeps coming around, constantly whittling down my bankroll.

I"ve been playing Longhanded .50/1

Anyone have any advice, on how I can stop my bankroll from going negative?
TwoHeadedOgr est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Apr 19, 2005, 6:40am   #2
killcrazy
Apex Predator

killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

play more hands.

Kc
killcrazy est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2005, 7:58am   #3
TwoGun
Administrator

TwoGun has disabled reputation

At that game, you should be playing more suited connectors, small and middle pair type hands as well. Those hands tend to do well if a lot of people are seeing the flop.

You can probably play category type three hands more, especially if they are suited and you are in late position.

So yah, just play more hands . Remember, poker is more about the post-flop than the pre-flop. Pre-flop is more just general guidelines and not making huge mistakes by calling re-raises with J2o.
TwoGun est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2005, 9:37am   #4
killcrazy
Apex Predator

killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

I haven't said this to anyone for a few days, so buy Lee Jones book, then ideally you should read it. It'll cost you less than a buyin and will pay for itself in a couple of sessions.

IMS it's called Winning Low Limit Hold'Em, and it's absolutely the best first book for a limit player. Jones' mandate isn't so much to squeeze every drop of value out of every hand, more to get you from being a beginner to being competent. Read and apply what he says and you're gonna be streets ahead of about 75% of the guys you play with.

Kc
Old Apr 19, 2005, 9:44am   #5
BadBeatBasti
BadBeatMod

BadBeatBasti is just really niceBadBeatBasti is just really niceBadBeatBasti is just really niceBadBeatBasti is just really nice
Default Re: Need help, Binds keep killing me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoHeadedOgr
I"ve been playing Longhanded .50/1
What are you playing....limit, pot or no limit? And where are you playing? I guess you probably play limit. You should play more hands like TG and KC already said. If you play a hand, you need to think about four things:

1. Your two pocket cards.
2. Your position.
3. The number of players in the pot.
4. The amount of money you have to put in.

You should know when it is better to raise to limit the amount of players and when you need a lot of players to justify calling a bet!

Also if you only play top cards, people will recognize/remember it and be able to predict pretty good what you have!
Old Apr 19, 2005, 10:29am   #6
xenthebrain
I am so smart. S-M-R-T

xenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Need help, Binds keep killing me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBeatBasti
Also if you only play top cards, people will recognize/remember it and be able to predict pretty good what you have!
At 0.50$/1$ the just don't
xenthebrain est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2005, 10:33am   #7
BadBeatBasti
BadBeatMod

BadBeatBasti is just really niceBadBeatBasti is just really niceBadBeatBasti is just really niceBadBeatBasti is just really nice

True, no one cares what you do
Old Apr 19, 2005, 8:54pm   #8
Woosta2
Doyle Look-alike

Woosta2
Send a message via AIM to Woosta2 Send a message via Yahoo to Woosta2

buy SSH and photocopy pages 84-86. Here youll find the charts of what to play in what position @ low limit games dependant on how many people call preflop, and who raises. To make it more like WLLH, raise less.

otherwise, it's a masterful chart. I keep it next to my moniter whenever i play, and its responsible for my biggest winning streak to date (80 big bets in a day).

Course, you'll wanna read the rest of the book for post flop play ideas, or you'll go too far with Top Pair Top Kicker on a paired board.

keep in mind, this is specific advice your your specific problem. As others have posted elsewhere (thanks Manu):

"Yea, I have this happen to me. People who say this are the new breed of fish. Because of widespread media attention, many people know starting hands, tight play, etc. However, they lack the experience or mental capacity to think out of the box and as a result, they stick to the basics as if it was Biblical. So they love calling you a fish though you just busted them. I'm sometimes amazed that people really believe you should only play the starting hands they read about in poker books. They expect poker to be a game were there is no real advantage for the better player and all you do is exchange money back and forth or wait to hit it big from the occasional super fish. "

Still, i'd say start with the charts, you'll know how to adapt them when your time comes. starting this too early will likely lead to a small downswing.
Old Apr 19, 2005, 9:06pm   #9
killcrazy
Apex Predator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woosta2
buy SSH
for the last time, no.

SSHE is absolutely the worst thing to give to a beginner.

no, no, no, no, no.

Kc
Old Apr 19, 2005, 9:15pm   #10
Woosta2
Doyle Look-alike

Woosta2
Send a message via AIM to Woosta2 Send a message via Yahoo to Woosta2

how? its the same thing as WLLH except that WLLH is thinner and has less confusing text. As such, i think SSH is the more complete low limit guide. and SSH breaks down strategy depending what the preflop % is.

No seriously, why is shh so bad for us beginners? I cant tell it apart from wllh except for whats noted above.