THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Apr 24, 2005, 6:31pm   #1
Snaggle
Professional

Snaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to behold
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!
Default Books-help me decide

I'm about to order;but am still debating my choices.I'll be playing exclusively on line.

Basic books:

#1 Lee Jones,Winning low limit hold'em

#2 Ed Miller,Small stakes hold'em:winning big with expert play

#3 Mathew Hilger,Internet Texas hold'em

I'm considering buying:#1+#2;#1+#3 or#2+#3.Which is the best selection and why?

More Advanced(not likely to be bought immediately):

#1 David Sklansky,The theory of poker

#2 ibid,Hold'em for advanced players

#3 Mason Malmuth,Poker essays volumns I-III

Are all of these selections sound and should I buy any of them for my laying the foundation studies as well?
Snaggle est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Apr 24, 2005, 7:19pm   #2
the_fox31
Resident Fox

the_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggle
#2 Ed Miller,Small stakes hold'em:winning big with expert play

Are all of these selections sound and should I buy any of them for my laying the foundation studies as well?
I'll get the popcorn.
Old Apr 24, 2005, 8:12pm   #3
Woosta2
Doyle Look-alike

Woosta2
Send a message via AIM to Woosta2 Send a message via Yahoo to Woosta2

Ok, last time I tried this, i was corrected by some excellent posters. I learned a lot, and they were right. Lets try for a repeat...cuz learning is fun for all ages.

Buy WLLH. Read it til the covers fall off. Underline it to the point where you couldnt sell it even if you wanted to. Make an excell cheat sheet with starting hands to be played from which position under which conditions, or memorize it with notecards-whatever. On another tab in the sheet, list what to do with each situation in one line, in hand ranking (nut flush draw flop with a pair on the board...wwjd in late position?). WLLH will tell you what to do, and pretty much why. Theory of Poker will someday explain it for you in a different way.

Sound like classwork? It is, get used to it. Difference is, this will pay off a lot sooner in a monetary kinda way. If you decide this poker thing isn't worth the effort, please play recreationally, and tell me where and when you do so.

You get to the point that you can play without the sheet, go to SSH to presto your game from ABC to slightly trickier. Squeeze the EV like -like... a thing...you squeeze a lot. You'll know what to read from there.
Old Apr 26, 2005, 7:18am   #4
vitaltilt
Grinder

vitaltilt

Yeah, buy WLLH and Hilger's book, though my guess is that Hilger's book basically covers things you can get at this website plus WLLH. But if you also play low stakes No Limit, then TOP will be of most value to you.

Hmmm, actually this is my suggestion: WLLH + TOP (that should be the first two books out of your list).

Though, wait another day for someone more knowledgable than I to post before buying.
vitaltilt est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2005, 4:43am   #5
Snaggle
Professional

Snaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to behold
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

I bought the Jones and Hilger books and will likely try #2 too.
Snaggle est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 6:05pm   #6
queenie5
whore

queenie5 is a jewel in the roughqueenie5 is a jewel in the roughqueenie5 is a jewel in the roughqueenie5 is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via ICQ to queenie5 Send a message via Yahoo to queenie5

Hold it! Do not buy Small Stakes until after you have read and implimented HEFAP(#2 list 2).

I skipped Jones' book. Weak-tight sucks. Agression better.

Once you hit SSH, get ready for the swings.
Old May 01, 2005, 9:47pm   #7
Woosta2
Doyle Look-alike

Woosta2
Send a message via AIM to Woosta2 Send a message via Yahoo to Woosta2

wait... you want him to read hold'em for ADVANCED players before small stakes hold'em? I though HEFAP was for high stakes games real estate only, planets away from low-stakes envionments. no? Maybe its a NLvLimit thing...

I have to say i started with SSH and basicly got on the roller coaster of ups n downs. I was corrected to stop and read WLLH, master that, and then read SSH. I'm about to re-read WLLH before picking up SSH again, and seeing as how my profits of 2.5 months have quadropuled in a week and a half, I'm pretty sure (so far) it was the best thing for me to do. Well, that and playing a limit higher on Pacific.
Old May 02, 2005, 1:19am   #8
killcrazy
Apex Predator

killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

HPFAP is more advanced than SSHE. HPFAP comes into effect round about 3-6 or 5-10 online, or did, I haven't played that low in a while.

Read Winning Low Limit Hold'em before you go anywhere a book with Sklansky's name on it, and the first book of his you want to read is Theory of Poker.

Ignore the people giving themselves RSIs over SSHE, they are dangerous. SSHE will fuck your game up horribly if you don't understand everything Jones has to say first.

Kc
killcrazy est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old May 02, 2005, 9:30am   #9
vitaltilt
Grinder

vitaltilt

yeah, i think the WLLH + TOP combo needs to be the default now ... for every novice, beginner, etc.

WLLH + TOP!!

(that's Winning Low Limit Hold'em by Lee Jones and Theory of Poker by David Sklansky)
vitaltilt est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old May 02, 2005, 12:09pm   #10
NorthView
Professional

NorthView

As it got an honourable mention, is Hold Em for Advanced Players any use for NL cash games?
NorthView est déconnecté   Reply With Quote