THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > Strategy > Limit Hold'em and Miscellaneous Strategy

Old Apr 26, 2005, 11:31am   #1
skeldol
Flop Artist

skeldol
Default AJo in the SB or BB with 3 or more callers

i tend to raise in this situation but am wondering if i should be taking it easy with so many limpers?
skeldol est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Apr 26, 2005, 12:14pm   #2
xenthebrain
I am so smart. S-M-R-T

xenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of light

Low limit game, AJo, any position, raise
xenthebrain est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2005, 12:46pm   #3
killcrazy
Apex Predator

killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

really don't like that...

find the thread where lederer tells us to always open raise, i explained why in there.

Kc
killcrazy est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2005, 12:58pm   #4
xenthebrain
I am so smart. S-M-R-T

xenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of light

Yes, and I think we stated the difference between your mid limit games and low limit.

And why one is a raise and one is not...
Old Apr 26, 2005, 1:26pm   #5
killcrazy
Apex Predator

killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

ah but if you raise preflop, no-ones gonna drop, but they're going to have odds to chase, so their board play becomes correct.

discuss

Kc
killcrazy est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2005, 1:37pm   #6
BadBeatBasti
BadBeatMod

BadBeatBasti is just really niceBadBeatBasti is just really niceBadBeatBasti is just really niceBadBeatBasti is just really nice

Yes, but preflop you have the best odds to win and raising preflop increases your EV!

I don't like to raise with ATo!
Old Apr 26, 2005, 2:22pm   #7
xenthebrain
I am so smart. S-M-R-T

kc, I know you don't play low limit, but you know they play like every two cards.
Thus they already made a mistake by entering the pot with their hand and you have a significant preflop advantage.
You lose a little money on the later street because they can call correctly, but you win quite more by pushing your edge, which is in low limit often very big, preflop.
Thus your overall expectation is higher. You win less pots, but win more money. And you don't count success in no. of won pots, do you?
Old Apr 26, 2005, 5:55pm   #8
Woosta2
Doyle Look-alike

Woosta2
Send a message via AIM to Woosta2 Send a message via Yahoo to Woosta2

The trouble with AJo is this:

By raising, you can get worse hands to fold. You will not, however, make hands which are better than yours fold.

C'mon, you two were the ones that told me to read WLLH.
Old Apr 26, 2005, 5:57pm   #9
Joes28
Grinder

Joes28 is on a distinguished road

I agree with KC for a couple of reasons...
1. AJo isnt really ahead of a lot of hands.
2. By not raising you provide some disguise to your hand which lets you check raise the flop which gains you extra bets/punishes draw and you have a better idea of where you are at in the hand.
Joes28 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2005, 6:28pm   #10
Elizabeth
Grinder

Elizabeth

I think there can be more than one correct answer based on how well you know your opponents, your playing style and your ability to play beyond the flop.

With so many limpers you are missing a big opportunity to build a large pot with a strong hand that will often win.

You'd have to a have a good reason to make that sacrifice. Some of those reasons have been posted here.