THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old May 20, 2005, 12:33am   #1
Styles
Brunson

Styles
Default AA, second to act

I was dealt pocket aces earlier while I was second to act. I raised and had 4 callers. The flop came KQx and the big blind bet. I raised, everyone called and the original bettor reraised me. I called along with everyone else. At that point I figured he had KK, QQ, or KQ. The turn and river came with small cards and I called his bets down as did the rest of the people in the hand. He shows KQ.
I was having one of those days where my hand just never held up (top pair beaten by low two pair, draws never panning out and several JJ hands with A, K, or Q flops) and am thinking I was calling out of irritation more than truely thinking it was a good hand. But anyways, does anyone think that it was a terrible play to call him down to the river?

Thanks,
Styles
Styles est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old May 20, 2005, 2:38am   #2
sffan72
Grinder

sffan72

I would've strongly considered folding on the turn after the flop reraise.

With 4 callers to a preflop raise, AA is not likely to hold up over 5 community cards. The flop reraise tells me (likely) 2 pair or a set have flopped and I am drawing thin. And with so many callers...

Better to save the 2BB for another hand. Fold the turn.
Old May 20, 2005, 12:09pm   #3
xenthebrain
I am so smart. S-M-R-T

xenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by sffan72
I would've strongly considered folding on the turn after the flop reraise.

With 4 callers to a preflop raise, AA is not likely to hold up over 5 community cards. The flop reraise tells me (likely) 2 pair or a set have flopped and I am drawing thin. And with so many callers...

Better to save the 2BB for another hand. Fold the turn.
Don't fold that one. The pot is huge, it's ~12.5BB.

Don't ever consider folding, before looking at the size of the pot, this one is big.

You are very often still ahead here, and still have 2 outs to trips, when the board pairs it could defeat lower two pair and so on.
He could have easily AK or KJ, TJ or AJ.
Don't lay them down so easily. You played it just fine there.
xenthebrain est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2005, 5:28pm   #4
Styles
Brunson

Styles

Thanks for the replies. I think the thing that bugged me was I was right about him having two pair and I didnt get rid of it. That's why I was wondering if I made a rational call. Thanks for the advice.

Styles
Old May 23, 2005, 3:36pm   #5
Iestyn75
Professional

Iestyn75 will become famous soon enoughIestyn75 will become famous soon enough

Xenthebrain's advice is good. Happens a lot, both ways of course. I was in a limit pot (50c/$1) which grew because 5 stayed in post flop, despite raises and re-raises. I had been dealt KK. Flop came out J62 rainbow. Happily I bet and this time only 1 came with me, raising to the cap. turn was a 7, and though I can't be sure, I'm pretty certain he hasn't got AA. River was an Ace and having called his bet, he flipped AJ. Don't think either of us played the hand wrong, just one of those things.
Iestyn75 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2005, 4:40pm   #6
xenthebrain
I am so smart. S-M-R-T

xenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of light

They guys who saw the flop for multible bets and fold in this huge pot so easily made the mistakes... either preflop or postflop
xenthebrain est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2005, 9:14pm   #7
Styles
Brunson

Styles

I have had lots of hands where my preflop raise with AA turns into a raising war with five or six people in. Often times people will be in there with terrible hands and seems as if they are reraising to prove something. That makes such a hard situation after the flop because half the people in have crap hands that could have just turned to gold.

How do you guys play when every betting round is constantly capped regardless of what people have? I know you should only play premium hands but even those don't hold up most the time after the flop.

Styles
Old May 24, 2005, 3:06am   #8
killcrazy
Apex Predator

killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

call him down.

Kc
killcrazy est déconnecté   Reply With Quote